The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll of the Week - May 20

BigTed3

Starters  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start in goal for Game 3?

I voted Tokarski too, partially because I feel he is in our long-term plans whereas Peter, although a very capable back-up, is not. Also I read and article on what Jon Cooper had to say about him, and when Dustin was his goalie for the Admirals.

A partial piece from the article:

“If there’s one guy who can be in this situation and say he’s got a chance to succeed, it’s this kid,” Cooper said during a Monday evening phone conversation as Tokarski battled against the Rangers. “The kid is a winner. He finds a way to win. There’s some players who have that, some goalies who have that, some coaches who have that -- he’s one of those guys who has that."

Cooper was saying this with Tokarski’s Canadiens already down a couple of goals, but his faith didn’t waiver. Before Cooper had a breakout season as coach of the Lightning, he first had a breakout season as coach of the AHL's Norfolk Admirals. In 2011-12, Cooper set a professional sports record by winning 28 consecutive games in a row, along with a Calder Cup.

Tokarski was his goalie.

[+] Enlargeinsider_g_tokarski_d1_200x300.jpg
Claus Andersen/Getty ImagesDustin Tokarski has been successful at every level of his development, including being named Memorial Cup MVP with the Spokane Chiefs in 2008.

Going into game 2 I would have voted Budaj - he's played very well for us all year when coming in cold, and I don't know if that's something that Tokarski is used to or able to to.

With that said, however, Budaj also dropped the ball quite a bit when we relied on him to be the starter the last time Carey got hurt. Now that Tokarski has played a game (and played reasonably well) I think I'm leaning towards putting him back in. I wouldn't be heartbroken if Therrien went the other way, either, but that's where I put my vote.

Bottom line for me is that you need 4 wins to take the series. Budaj's faltered in the past when asked to play more than 1-2 games in a row, so I'm not sure he can get it done. I'll go with the guy who has less experience but who has good composure (like Price) and who's been a winner in the past and who's a bit more of an unknown.

In saying that, I do feel bad for Budaj. He's a guy who by all accounts has put the team first and served his time behind Carey and if we're making the decision based on who merits it the most, then the answer is Budaj. He's the logical choice. But I think what's best for the team is going ahead with Tokarski, just like it was in our best interest to opt for youngsters like Bournival and Beaulieu as well.

Budaj was hung out to dry when Carey went down but they must have seen something in his play that they didn't like. Tokarski has one playoff game under his belt. I expect him to be better in the next game. So I voted Tokarski. Having said that it doesn't matter if the rest of the team doesn't show up.

I'm with Tokes too. I wouldn't lose any sleep or be upset if he goes with Budaj simply because i don't see much of an advantage one way or the other. He has a full game behind him and he didn't fall apart, so give the kid the net.

I am one of the two who voted for Budaj. He earned himself a shutout in New York earlier this year, he's been the number two guy all season, he has more experience at the NHL level, and I feel like he should be the player between the pipes tomorrow. However, we now know Tokarski is the guy. I am supportive of Tokarski, but I would have liked to see Budaj.

Going into game 2 I would have voted Budaj - he's played very well for us all year when coming in cold, and I don't know if that's something that Tokarski is used to or able to to.

With that said, however, Budaj also dropped the ball quite a bit when we relied on him to be the starter the last time Carey got hurt. Now that Tokarski has played a game (and played reasonably well) I think I'm leaning towards putting him back in. I wouldn't be heartbroken if Therrien went the other way, either, but that's where I put my vote.

For sure, after game 3 you need to go back to Tokarski. He's still your best chance at getting a tender to elevate his game & switching that now undoes the whole scenario of doing in the first place in game 2.

At the end of the day, probably neither goalie will provide more than a "decent" chance at winning...but, Tokarski still has the ability to be a difference maker while the chances of Budaj doing that are pretty slim.

It sucks for Buds but this really is the best gamble with regards to what we can get out of one of our goalies.

I am one of the two who voted for Budaj. He earned himself a shutout in New York earlier this year, he's been the number two guy all season, he has more experience at the NHL level, and I feel like he should be the player between the pipes tomorrow. However, we now know Tokarski is the guy. I am supportive of Tokarski, but I would have liked to see Budaj.

I'm the third vote...I saw something from Toke's play in that game 2 that I didn't like. I am pretty sure that Toke would be serviceable when needed, but it's the other little things that I think we need more experience in. For example, when we were on the PP and he had the puck on his stick Subban was banging his stick so that Toke would pass him the puck, but he just stood there for a moment not knowing what to do. Eventually he shoveled it to the side where Subban ended up skating to. To me, that was a sign that we need someone with a little more experience at the NHL level and with this team. I think Buds deserves this game. If we lose due to goal tending then we can go back to Toke for the next game. I think we need to see what Budaj is capable of.

Archived