The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll Round 3, Game 5 - Tuesday, May 27 2014 8:00 PM EST - CBC, RDS, NBCSN

ColRouleBleu

Poll Round 3, Game 5 - Tuesday, May 27 2014 8:00 PM EST - CBC, RDS, NBCSN   

23 members have voted

1. 1. To be or not to be...

.....so Rene Bourque, our own hat trick guy, took two penalties at the 20:00 mark. A 5 minute major, and a 10 minute game misconduct! He cross-checked Dorsett......so maybe someone stood up to him after all!

Oh.....and maybe he'll be suspended for Game 6 or more.....knowing Bettman & Co., I wouldn't put it past them.

.....so Rene Bourque, our own hat trick guy, took two penalties at the 20:00 mark. A 5 minute major, and a 10 minute game misconduct! He cross-checked Dorsett......so maybe someone stood up to him after all!

…For what?! A 5 minute cross checking penalty?! Are you serious? Is this how they plan to let Dorsett get away with it, by doing something to Bourque too? Unreal. Absolutely unreal. These people have no shame whatsoever.

Meanwhile, NBC and MSG's postgame shows were braying non-stop about embellishment. Funny how nobody cared about Zucarello's embellishment on Eller's penalty late in the third. :rolleyes:

I looked at my recording of the end of the game. Nothing even close to warranting a 5 minute penalty to Bourque. Really pathetic performance all around from this officiating crew. It would've been bad enough in a regular game, let alone a playoff game, let alone an elimination game. The players are expected to up the caliber of their performance. Why are the refs immune from that?

....will this be Ginette Reno's last anthem?

last for this round anyway, she's not available saturday

I want 7 tonight ! ( with the Rangers getting 0 or less)

at least you got the first part of your wish :D

i would have said he looks more comfortable

the man was singing and banging his head to the beat during TV timeouts

Where are all of the nay-sayers now? :rolleyes:

We'll see after Thursday night :P . I'm happy to let you have the momentary laugh (until Thursday) but for now, let me savour the moment as a fan. Wow :D ! Typical Habs, won't play their best until they're fighting for their lives :angry: ! The first period and beginning of second will remain in my memory for a long time :) . Fitting farewell souvenir for the home fans this season.

Now back to reality. Notwithstanding the win, I still stand by my prediction. This series will end on Thursday. Here's why:

1) Both teams now have a stinker a piece. The difference? Even down 1-4, Rangers still believed they could get back and kept pressuring. They almost pulled off a comeback with a backup goalie. See that hunger? They just won't go down without fighting.

The blowout has to take into account empty net goals because Rangers could afford to take a gamble and lose. Now recall Habs' stinker in Game 1 and compare the attitude. This is a truly a frightening opponent we're forced to respect, whatever we thought of them prior to this series.

2) Defensive lapses by our D. How on earth can a team give up a 4-1 lead and allow the opponent to level? Habs got away this time but it keeps recurring. Who dares reckon it won't happen again in the next game? The scary thing is, it isn't down to one person. Emelin, Bouillon, Gorges and now Markov. It'll come back to bite us again because the lapses in concentration just won't go away.

3) Too late to mount a comeback. After Thursday night, many of our players will look back to this game and ask themselves why they couldn't play like this at the start of the series. If Thursday's game was the final decider, I'd say Habs has a fair chance to salvage a miracle. Depending on your perspective, it's either one game too much or too little. But after having come so far to this stage, no way Rangers are going to pull a 'San Jose' or 'Penguins'. If Habs do pull it off (and I'm more than willing to eat humble pie), it'll be the biggest comeback over the last decade in the history of this franchise.

So Mods - please do a Game 6 poll for the final time this post-season. This time, I'll get it right with heavy heart :unsure: .

Comments within:

We'll see after Thursday night :P . I'm happy to let you have the momentary laugh (until Thursday) but for now, let me savour the moment as a fan. Wow :D ! Typical Habs, won't play their best until they're fighting for their lives :angry: ! The first period and beginning of second will remain in my memory for a long time :) . Fitting farewell souvenir for the home fans this season.

Now back to reality. Notwithstanding the win, I still stand by my prediction. This series will end on Thursday. Here's why:

1) Both teams now have a stinker a piece. The difference? Even down 1-4, Rangers still believed they could get back and kept pressuring. They almost pulled off a comeback with a backup goalie. See that hunger? They just won't go down without fighting.

The blowout has to take into account empty net goals because Rangers could afford to take a gamble and lose. Now recall Habs' stinker in Game 1 and compare the attitude. This is a truly a frightening opponent we're forced to respect, whatever we thought of them prior to this series.

Hey, don't forget the Habs are playing the entire series with a backup goalie, and he's 2-2 with one heartbreak OT loss. Since we're talking "almosts" here, Tokarski's "almost" 3-1 in this series.

Also, there was only one empty net goal. After that, the Rags had all that pressure but couldn't score. I agree that Game 1 was an absolute stinker, but another point about comebacks to remember is that the Habs this season set an NHL record for coming back and winning when down by three goals with less than four minutes in the third period (or something like that). That's a comeback stat that no team in over 100 years ever accomplished! The Habs know how to play hungry, too.

2) Defensive lapses by our D. How on earth can a team give up a 4-1 lead and allow the opponent to level? Habs got away this time but it keeps recurring. Who dares reckon it won't happen again in the next game? The scary thing is, it isn't down to one person. Emelin, Bouillon, Gorges and now Markov. It'll come back to bite us again because the lapses in concentration just won't go away.

I totally agree about the defensive lapses, but tonight was better. Emelin sitting out seems like it's a plus at the moment. But you're right about them needing to stay focused. Not sure why they look so lax at times.

3) Too late to mount a comeback. After Thursday night, many of our players will look back to this game and ask themselves why they couldn't play like this at the start of the series. If Thursday's game was the final decider, I'd say Habs has a fair chance to salvage a miracle. Depending on your perspective, it's either one game too much or too little. But after having come so far to this stage, no way Rangers are going to pull a 'San Jose' or 'Penguins'. If Habs do pull it off (and I'm more than willing to eat humble pie), it'll be the biggest comeback over the last decade in the history of this franchise.

Never too late. And it's not all up to the Rangers not pulling a "San Jose" or "Penguins" because there's another team on the ice that might have something to say about it.

I'll say again what I've said before: the Habs have yet to play their best hockey, while the Rangers have already played their best. It's actually quite possible that the Habs, with the liberating freedom of being a road team again, play a near-flawless game in New York and the big guns just keep firing while Tokarski edges closer to that perfect game we all know he's capable of.

I totally get the respect factor of the Rangers. I agree that the Habs may have taken them way too lightly in the first two games and lost a lot of ground that is very difficult to make up later in just a best-of-seven series. But since we really don't know how Game 6 is going to turn out, I'll submit that an even more frightening proposal would be something like a 5-0 Habs win that comes from out of nowhere. Yes, the defense can play better......so, what if they did play a great game? Vanek can do so much more.....imagine if he does? And we all know how Patches goes on those incredible hot streaks when he gets going.....what would it be like if he decides to light it up at MSG? (I saw something frightening in his eyes tonight after he scored his goal.)

Many here, including myself at times, seem ready to accept another epic collapse and the premature end of another playoff season. We've seen it so many times before, we're practically trained into thinking that that's all we can expect. And yet, after seeing the effort in Game 5, we are all reminded that this team can make magic together. Did you see Gallagher's pass to Pacioretty for that great goal? That was magic. Imagine being on the bench and watching it as a teammate. That's got to have an effect, no? And what caused Rene Bourque to become the monster of the game? Wouldn't that qualify as "never wanting to quit"?

There's something about this team......they won't let me quit being a fan, as much as I've hinted at it. So, I'll return the favor....I won't let them quit winning on my watch!

Guest archey

the man was singing and banging his head to the beat during TV timeouts

one has to choose their favorite player so if one has a little coat that seems to support plecky and hasn't gotten around to buying a habs jersey well.....

everybody makes economic decisions so i don't blame myself THAT much. of course knowing that i've been wrong has been helpful but it doesn't eliminate all the guilt.

Did you see Gallagher's pass to Pacioretty for that great goal? That was magic. Imagine being on the bench and watching it as a teammate. That's got to have an effect, no? And what caused Rene Bourque to become the monster of the game? Wouldn't that qualify as "never wanting to quit"?

There's something about this team......they won't let me quit being a fan, as much as I've hinted at it. So, I'll return the favor....I won't let them quit winning on my watch!

I'm pessimistic, however ... I do believe the Rangers have ... ahem ... poked the bear with their shannigans in Game 5

1) Spraying a young child with your skates

2) Blind side head shot by Moore

3) Two attempts at bowling over our goalie

4) Headbutt by Dorsett

5) More shannigans by Dorsett at end of game.

I could see it last night, the begining of the spark ... the embers of a fire I've seen before, in 86 and 93

Guest habs1952

Yes but they have to stay in the back of the wagon, standing room only ;)

That's not fair. The front of the bandwagon is crowded whereas the back of bandwagon is less crowded.

Guest mrsmarkov

Re: The poll in this thread. Do we let the naysayers back on the bandwagon?

NEVER! I noticed them vote during the third period. <_<

OMG :lol:

That's not fair. The front of the bandwagon is crowded whereas the back of bandwagon is less crowded.

Hey....the back of the wagon is where the party is!

banana-train-ani.gifbanana-line-ani.gifbanana-line-ani.gif

Archived