The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll of the Week - June 5

BigTed3

Trades  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which player would you be trying hardest to trade if you were Marc Bergevin?

• Rene Bourque
    • Alexei Emelin
    • David Desharnais
    • Travis Moen

Murray and Bouillon were both here but usually we had one guy in at a time, not three question marks. With three rookies, do you have an all rookie pairing? Or do you have a rookie on each duo, thereby eliminating the option of a veteran duo you lean on for 25 minutes a night? I'm not saying the rookies are bad and they're certainly better than Mouillon, but you also need a realistic back-up plan. Boston is probably more an exception to the rule, and they leaned heavily on Chara, as well as playing under a better system. Therriens system made every defenceman look awful at breakouts by the end of the year. I don't know that three rookies will handle that and I think Therrien will just end up leaning even more on guys like Markova and Gorges and wearing them out.

Murray and Bouillon were both here but usually we had one guy in at a time, not three question marks. With three rookies, do you have an all rookie pairing? Or do you have a rookie on each duo, thereby eliminating the option of a veteran duo you lean on for 25 minutes a night? I'm not saying the rookies are bad and they're certainly better than Mouillon, but you also need a realistic back-up plan. Boston is probably more an exception to the rule, and they leaned heavily on Chara, as well as playing under a better system. Therriens system made every defenceman look awful at breakouts by the end of the year. I don't know that three rookies will handle that and I think Therrien will just end up leaning even more on guys like Markova and Gorges and wearing them out.

And therein lays our Achillies Heel. Therrien. It seems we talk about vets, rookies, or stars till we're blue in the face. But It doesn't matter. How those assests will be deployed is anyone's guess. MT seems to make decisions that are counter to common sense. But at the end of the day, as a fan, I am more excited to see those youngsters play (mistakes and all) than the tired old vets.

Guest mrsmarkov

Yes he is, and I would take that into account except for one thing: I'm not a fan of having three rookie defencemen in the line-up at the same time. That's one of the reasons why it was such a failure to have not given one or two of the Young 3 more playing time in the NHL this year. If we had played a full season of Tinordi, for example, instead of Murray or Bouillon, then we'd have the luxury of bringing in Pateryn next year as well. As it stands, I think we need to look at two of the three getting in, and the third guy either being a 7th D man or being the first call-up from Hamilton. I'd like to find another right-handed option who can give us 20-22 minutes a night.

Agreed completely.

Sure, it's better, but just because Therrien managed his D poorly last year, it doesn't mean we need to put ourselves in a position to fail this year. We have a chance to contend for the East again next year, and while I'm all up for getting some young guys into the line-up, using 3 of 6 defence spots on rookies is just asking for disaster. We don't have enough experience with them to know how they'll do under pressure and how they'll hold up over a long season. If they start to tire or make mistakes, the team will then scramble to sign or call up a veteran, probably akin to Murray or Bouillon or Mara or so on. I'd rather have 4 solid veteran D men in the line-up, two rookies, and a veteran 7th guy who can fill in for short periods of time as needed. Ideally Weaver and two of Beaulieu, Tinordi, and Pateryn make up your 5, 6, and 7 guys. Subban's your number one, Markov is your number 3, and one of Gorges/Emelin is your number four, and it means MB needs to find a legit number two guy to put everyone in the right spots.

Right on the money.

I guess I don't see it as gloomy as you Ted. It is a long 82 game season. Starting with 3 rookies lets you know right away the direction your team will be taking with the younger players. Let Beau and Tinner play full time. They are ready now. Give Pateryn the 10 games to see how he does. I think it will be quite evident who has the drive, skill, smarts, and stamina to compete at the higher level. I'm more of the mindset that you have to crack a few eggs to make an omlette. We already had a successful year despite having the likes of Murray and Bouillon. I just don't see how it could be worse. I think if you keep/introduce more veterans you run the risk of MT mismanaging the development of our young players. I can see him trying to "send a message" everytime there is a small mistake made by a rooky. I think we really need to force MT's hand at the utilization of our younger crop.

You as well make a good point. Both sides definitely have a point. Sounds like being in a pickle to me.

The Bruins did a pretty good job having Bartkowski, Miller and Krug get playing time last season. Mostly because of Seidenberg's injury, but still they did well with 3 rookie dmen. I would just have a hard time sending Pateryn down again after the season he had in the AHL. He really deserves a chance. This is a good position to be in though.

This situation is unfortunate and a lucky one to be in at the same time. There's so many possibilities...

Guest mrsmarkov

THIS! Well said Ted.

And therein lays our Achillies Heel. Therrien. It seems we talk about vets, rookies, or stars till we're blue in the face. But It doesn't matter. How those assests will be deployed is anyone's guess. MT seems to make decisions that are counter to common sense. But at the end of the day, as a fan, I am more excited to see those youngsters play (mistakes and all) than the tired old vets.

Oh Therrien... <_<.

Archived