The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

I hope it is not too early to start thinking about what the Habs need to do for next season. I know the last State Of The Habs is still going on, but I would like to start talking about what the Habs need to do for next season as soon as possible. I hope I'm not too early with this.

Here's what I think they need:

1. More scoring punch - Pacioretty cannot do it all alone. Looks like Vanek will be gone, so some guys will have to step up. I think Galchenyuk in particular needs to raise his game significantly. They may have to go out and get a couple of guys who can score.

2. More size both up front and defensively, along with a bit more toughness. The Habs overall are still a smallish team, and can be pushed around.

3. Combine that with more speed all the way around, especially on defense. Only Subban showed he could play in this manner when it counted. The Rangers took advantage of a slower Canadiens defense and were able to spring their forwards loose. They actually beat the Habs at their own game, and had the size and ability to do so.

4. They need to find a dependable backup to Price. I personally believe you'll see Tokarski in that role next year, as Budaj, who was supposed to be the backup in the first, didn't get to play much, if at all in the playoffs. If that isn't showing much confidence in the guy who was supposed to be the backup in the first place, what is?

In my opinion the Habs need too implement more speed on the D when they pinch in the O zone.

I would like too see an increase in size but this cannot be done with out the expense of relinquishing talent & that would have too come from the D as the Habs are well stocked in that position & lacking on big forwards Centers too be exact.

The draft is the only way too really implement change in offensive talent this allows us too build from with-in & not leave the D with gapping holes in it as injuries are a reality in hockey.

Marc Bergevin has done a fine job so far & offensive talent is his biggest challenge & he must work with the talent he has available to him.July first is coming & hoping for a big hale-mary that the Habs can sign an offensive player for the right price not to diminish the cap in a way that hinders future contract talks from with-in the organization.

Over-all I have a good feel for the Habs & their present situation but improvement is always on the agenda for sure .

Go Habs Go !!!

After two seasons of screaming at the Habs for losing many regular season games in a row or failing to string together more than 5 wins on the trot, I'm going to change my attitude for next season.

I'm going to adopt the "Detroit mentality" :D. Only playoff performance matters. As long as the Habs qualify for the playoffs above the Wildcard positions, I'm fine with not chasing after a meaningless Conference leadership.

If recent history of the Habs prove anything, it's that their regular season standings are inversely correlated to playoff performance.

After two seasons of screaming at the Habs for losing many regular season games in a row or failing to string together more than 5 wins on the trot, I'm going to change my attitude for next season.

I'm going to adopt the "Detroit mentality" :D. Only playoff performance matters. As long as the Habs qualify for the playoffs above the Wildcard positions, I'm fine with not chasing after a meaningless Conference leadership.

If recent history of the Habs prove anything, it's that their regular season standings are inversely correlated to playoff performance.

They still have to play well enough during the regular season to qualify. Speaking of the Red Wings, they had so many injuries, but their kids played well enough to help them get in. And that means keep your eyes out on the Red Wings this season, as they have added more depth from within doe to said performance of the youngsters, and should be much stronger next season.

Guest mrsmarkov

If the Habs are looking for some toughness to replace Parros, Scott Thornton ( Bruins ) is available ........lol

:lol: :lol: I'll pass.

But it certainly would be funny to see him and Subby be teammates.

I think and hope it's before. It does say subject to change.

I think Kindred was being sarcastic :P.

Guest mrsmarkov

The Habs first regular season game is on October 8th in Toronto! Not fair, I want to start at home. We have to wait some time for our home game, but it will be worth it....Boston! :)

The Habs first regular season game is on October 8th in Toronto! Not fair, I want to start at home. We have to wait some time for our home game, but it will be worth it....Boston! :)

AND we start with a back-to-back, since we play the Caps' home opener the next night in Washington... I have no problem starting on the road, sometimes that can actually help. But to go back-to-back when we're still out of game shape to start the year is a big advantage for Washington that next night.

Guest mrsmarkov

AND we start with a back-to-back, since we play the Caps' home opener the next night in Washington... I have no problem starting on the road, sometimes that can actually help. But to go back-to-back when we're still out of game shape to start the year is a big advantage for Washington that next night.

Ya I noticed that. I'm not pleased, but at least it's the Caps a mediocre team. Regardless of who we play it's still going to be tough because first off they need to get back into game mode so they will appear sluggish at first and second they're going to arrive to Washington like soldiers of war from playing all out against the Leafs.

You can also look at it as we'll have a real game under our belt and Washington won't yet. We should be nice and fresh at that point in the year anyway.

So do we have now 53 mil in salaries already? That would leave us 18mil to the cap. Well Subban will take 8 or so. 10mil left. Eller needs some money and we dont have 4 good wingers because Vanek and Gionta aren't signed and the latter one is no real top6 player anymore. I don't know how you want to fill the team with quality unless you find a trade.

So do we have now 53 mil in salaries already? That would leave us 18mil to the cap. Well Subban will take 8 or so. 10mil left. Eller needs some money and we dont have 4 good wingers because Vanek and Gionta aren't signed and the latter one is no real top6 player anymore. I don't know how you want to fill the team with quality unless you find a trade.

Salaries and cap hits are different though... we've spent 53M in salary but only have 51M in cap used up. According to capgeek, we have 18 players signed (including Beaulieu and Tinordi) and have 19.67M left for the last 5 roster spots. One would assume that 4 of those spots are going to go to Subban (8M), Weaver (1.5M), White (1M), and Eller (3.5M), and I've penciled in approximate cap hits for those players. It means we'll likely have about 5-5.5M left over for that last forward spot. It's not the end of the world, but it does mean a few things:

1. That we are forging ahead with Tinordi and Beaulieu

2. That we have a lot of money tied up in grinders and bottom 6 players (Moen, Prust, Bourque, Briere, Weise, etc.)

3. That we're going to be in trouble next off-season... the only contract coming off the books is Briere's, and we'll have to re-sign Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival, Beaulieu, and Tinordi. Even if we sign a 900k player to replace Briere, my guess is that those 5 players are going to require more than a combined 3.1M in raises.

So I'm not overly concerned for next season, but going forward, this once again shows why we don't really have the room to put Gionta on a long-term deal and why we need to unload some of the long-term deals that MB gave out to role players. You just can't build your team from the grinders up and expect that not to handicap you at some point.

You have to keep in mind that with the Rogers deal the cap will definitely go up next season so there won't be a problem resigning them to bridge deals.

And Briere comes off the books, as well as Moen, Prust, and Bourque having only 1 year left and being moveable to someone trying to reach the cap floor (especially as Bourque and Prust have higher cap hits than salary).

Salaries and cap hits are different though... we've spent 53M in salary but only have 51M in cap used up. According to capgeek, we have 18 players signed (including Beaulieu and Tinordi) and have 19.67M left for the last 5 roster spots. One would assume that 4 of those spots are going to go to Subban (8M), Weaver (1.5M), White (1M), and Eller (3.5M), and I've penciled in approximate cap hits for those players. It means we'll likely have about 5-5.5M left over for that last forward spot. It's not the end of the world, but it does mean a few things:

1. That we are forging ahead with Tinordi and Beaulieu

2. That we have a lot of money tied up in grinders and bottom 6 players (Moen, Prust, Bourque, Briere, Weise, etc.)

3. That we're going to be in trouble next off-season... the only contract coming off the books is Briere's, and we'll have to re-sign Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival, Beaulieu, and Tinordi. Even if we sign a 900k player to replace Briere, my guess is that those 5 players are going to require more than a combined 3.1M in raises.

So I'm not overly concerned for next season, but going forward, this once again shows why we don't really have the room to put Gionta on a long-term deal and why we need to unload some of the long-term deals that MB gave out to role players. You just can't build your team from the grinders up and expect that not to handicap you at some point.

Do you actually think it's that likely White comes back? I kind of assumed we'd let him walk with all the bodies we have already. We've signed a few contracts I don't like during Bergevin's tenior but looking ahead I actually think we're in pretty good shape.

Do you actually think it's that likely White comes back? I kind of assumed we'd let him walk with all the bodies we have already. We've signed a few contracts I don't like during Bergevin's tenior but looking ahead I actually think we're in pretty good shape.

I'd hope White comes back. He's a 4th liner who can hit, play the PK, take face-offs as a right-handed center, and who skates pretty well for a grinder. I think he has a very under-appreciated skillset. He's not someone I'd be paying 1.5-2M a season, but if you can keep your 4th line guys on 1M deals, then having a line of Prust-White-Weise, for example, can really give us depth. I think MB needs to be focusing on trading away Moen, who is slower, coming off concussion problems, and more expensive than White. Without White, I don't think we have a great 4th line center option right now, and while we can say it's an easy hole to fill, the truth is that we had a lot of problems trying to replace Halpern after we let him walk. White can easily grow into that Halpern- or Metropolit-type role and be a strong role player for years here.

I'd hope White comes back. He's a 4th liner who can hit, play the PK, take face-offs as a right-handed center, and who skates pretty well for a grinder. I think he has a very under-appreciated skillset. He's not someone I'd be paying 1.5-2M a season, but if you can keep your 4th line guys on 1M deals, then having a line of Prust-White-Weise, for example, can really give us depth. I think MB needs to be focusing on trading away Moen, who is slower, coming off concussion problems, and more expensive than White. Without White, I don't think we have a great 4th line center option right now, and while we can say it's an easy hole to fill, the truth is that we had a lot of problems trying to replace Halpern after we let him walk. White can easily grow into that Halpern- or Metropolit-type role and be a strong role player for years here.

Right or wrong, I enjoyed the Bournival - White - Weise combination. It just seemed to work, and they had a good combination of grit, speed, tenacity, with the ability to play defensively and threaten offensively. I'm not sure how they worked out in statistical terms, but watching them together in the moment, they appeared to be effective. Definitely preferable to a line of sluggish veterans, imo.

Right or wrong, I enjoyed the Bournival - White - Weise combination. It just seemed to work, and they had a good combination of grit, speed, tenacity, with the ability to play defensively and threaten offensively. I'm not sure how they worked out in statistical terms, but watching them together in the moment, they appeared to be effective. Definitely preferable to a line of sluggish veterans, imo.

Definitely. I loved that line while it was together too.

Archived