The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Five Burning Questions - June 16

BigTed3

1. If you're Marc Bergevin, are you looking to move up in the first round of the draft, stay where you are, or trade the pick for an asset?

2. Andrei Markov reportedly wants 3 years for 6M a season. Putting aside what you would like to see him sign for, what contract do you think he will end up with?

3. Who should the Habs be targeting to replace Thomas Vanek... Hemsky, Michalek, Stastny, Havlat, Moulson, or Callahan?

4. Which young defenceman would you prefer to see get a shot with the Habs next year: Pateryn or Nygren?

5. After Boston, which team is the biggest threat to the Habs within the division next year?

1) This is hard to determine because the opportunity has to be there BUT if there was equal opportunity to do all three I would package the pick for top 6 winger (preferably on the younger side)

2) I think he'll end up with a 2 year deal with a cap hit of 5.5 million (a little too high, but I can live with that).

3) Moulson or Hemsky, just because I think it will be the best value. I don't thing the star winger we need is available in the free agent market.

4) Both! I'll pick Pateryn though, if I had to choose one.

5) Tampa

Guest mrsmarkov

1. I'd say trade the pick for an asset. This years draft isn't exactly attractive, I'm much more looking forward to the 2015 draft.

2. I know you said not to say what I want him to get, but I will anyways because I'm a rebel :P. I was leaning more towards a 3 year deal worth 5 million a season. I want him to retire a Hab and the term is the most important for me. I was hoping he'd take a home town price cut, but at the same time he deserves to be paid what he's asking. It all comes down to his performance declining in the last two years. I believe he will still be able to play and contribute for those last two years, but it wont be the same. I stick to 5 million, he deserves at least that. What I think is going to happen? I think MB will give in and give him what he wants.

3. Moulson, I think the guy would fit very nicely into the Habs system.

4. Both honestly. I think they both deserve a shot. I've always really liked Nygren though. Pateryn's personality hasn't exactly rubbed on me in the right way.

5. The Bolts for sure!

1. Move for an asset. Definitely, the draft seems weak this year and we may be able to package the pick to address a need for an NHL ready top 4 defender or top 6 winger. Failing that, we can always move it for another forward prospect.

2. 2 years at 5-5.5 Mil per is my hope.

3. Moulson would be the best I guess. Callahan if he was willing to not get a clarkson type contract.

4. I too think both deserve a shot. Pateryn seems the most NHL ready out of several defensive prospects, but Nygren also is pretty close. Pateryn seems to fill a bigger need as Nygren is more of an offense first defenseman which we have in Markov Subban and Beauleiu. So I guess Pateryn.

5. Tampa.

1. Obviously depends on what we can get and who is available but if we can get a top 4 D or top 6 forward than I would move it in a package

2. I think 2 years at his current 5.75mil

3. Hemsky or Moulson at the right price.

4. Nygren if only because if we don't than we'll lose him while Pateryn will play another year in Hamilton

5. It's close between Detroit and Tampa but because of Stamkos I'll say Tampa.

1. If you're Marc Bergevin, are you looking to move up in the first round of the draft, stay where you are, or trade the pick for an asset?

2. Andrei Markov reportedly wants 3 years for 6M a season. Putting aside what you would like to see him sign for, what contract do you think he will end up with?

3. Who should the Habs be targeting to replace Thomas Vanek... Hemsky, Michalek, Stastny, Havlat, Moulson, or Callahan?

4. Which young defenceman would you prefer to see get a shot with the Habs next year: Pateryn or Nygren?

5. After Boston, which team is the biggest threat to the Habs within the division next year?

1. Stay where you are. I don't see the pick being a particularly valuable trade piece.

2. 3 years, $5.5M

3. Hemsky gets my vote.

4. Nygren.

5. I'll say Tamapa, but Detroit will be better.

I think the Habs need too trade up if there is a chance of obtaining a big forward with skill if one really catches the eyes of the Habs Scouting team.

As far as Andre Markov well 4 mill per year max in my opinion or send him packing he is slower now & we see him screwing up more than in the past when he was in his prime.

I would like too see Nygren get his chance this up & coming year he is ready in my opinion & will be a great addition too the Habs D for sure.

I would like too see the Habs go after Stastny for sure he is talented has soft hands around the net & is a great competitor.

The team in the Habs division that I think will give us fits is the Florida Panthers they are big mean love too hit & are a real pain in the azz for sure.Habs better be ready too play this team on every outing.

I would love too hear from other Habs fans on my comments & look forward too chatting further on this & other matters.

Guest mrsmarkov

I think the Habs need too trade up if there is a chance of obtaining a big forward with skill if one really catches the eyes of the Habs Scouting team.

As far as Andre Markov well 4 mill per year max in my opinion or send him packing he is slower now & we see him screwing up more than in the past when he was in his prime.

I would like too see Nygren get his chance this up & coming year he is ready in my opinion & will be a great addition too the Habs D for sure.

I would like too see the Habs go after Stastny for sure he is talented has soft hands around the net & is a great competitor.

The team in the Habs division that I think will give us fits is the Florida Panthers they are big mean love too hit & are a real pain in the azz for sure.Habs better be ready too play this team on every outing.

I would love too hear from other Habs fans on my comments & look forward too chatting further on this & other matters.

Ya that is too low. Are you trying to tell me Mr. Turnover Emelin is worth more than Marky? <_<:P

1. I'd stay where we are. I have no interest in moving up, as it will take a bombshell trade to move up to a point that improves our pick in a meaningful way. I'd trade the pick to move down if it is part of a package that gives us a legitimate long-term asset (like a Bogosian, for example), but I doubt that will happen. So I'd stay where I am and trust TT to make the right choice.

2. I would like to see something like 2 years at 5M each. What I think we'll end up signing him for is 5.75M per season (same as before), and my gut is that MB is the one to cave and give Markov the three years he's asking for.

3. Of the players available, Stastny is the one with the biggest upside in my opinion, although he's rumored to really want to re-sign in Colorado. I don't know any of the others is a long-term solution. Moulson and Callahan are in my view overrated players not worth going after, so my next choice would be Michalek. He's a guy who I believe could have a resurgence in a Habs' uni.

4. I'll take Nygren if only because it's the more pressing decision to make. He's old enough that he could theoretically step right into the NHL, and if it doesn't work out, you can always move on to the next option.

5. I think Tampa's going to take a step back next year. Detroit has a lot of young guys who improved this season, and they have some vets who might not be as unlucky with injury next year. I think the Wings are the team to watch.

1. All depends on draft day and who's available. I don't have access to a legion of amateur scouts and don't know very much about the prospect pool so I don't know if there's someone available that Timmins is high on. Probably would just stay put, but I'd defer to Timmins' judgment on draft day.

2. Think he ends up getting 2Y/6M or 3Y/5.5ish. 3Y/6M is the first leaked report and this info gets leaked for a reason. 3Y/6M is ingrained in our minds now and the Habs fanbase has spent a day arguing about it on forums so that when he signs for 3Y/5.5M we'll all be super thrilled with the bargain we got.

3. Hemsky or Michalek. Would be interested in Stastny but it isn't realistic. Moulson and Callahan I'd stay away from.

4. Nygren would be my preferred option right now because it's getting to be time to make a decision, but it depends on what level they're at in September. Don't think there's room to carry both on the roster if we re sign Weaver so it's one or the other. Either way they'll both get a chance at some point with injuries opening up a spot.

5. Tampa or Detroit. Would call Tampa the bigger threat, but if Datsyuk and Zetterberg stay healthy Detroit would be right in the mix. Not worried about the others, Toronto sucks and they're going to spend a bazillion dollars on Bolland, Ottawa's owner is a scrooge, Buffalo's roster is a joke, and Florida doesn't have the depth.

1. id trade the pick in a package dealfor at op 6 forward if possible

2. he deserves 5 per he should sign for 4.5 but he will get 5.75..

3. to all those who said Hemsky.. yea lets bring in more midgets... seriously some people never learn. none of the above...

4. Nygren is being a little baby if he doesnt come up to the big club hes going home, so id take Pateryn.

5. Detroit. not Tampa because Bishop is over rated and injury prone.

1. I've got no idea. It seems like something that you can only really determine at or very near to draft day. Who knows how the tempo of trades is going to be. Right now, though, I'd prefer to trade it for a roster player unless someone intriguing starts falling.

2. Most likely 2/6.

3. Hemsky seems like the best available option.

4. Nygren.

5. Detroit. The rest of this division is a farce.

Guest Regis2

1. Stay the course

2. 3yrs, same as current salary

3. Stastny

4. Pateryn. He's paid his dues.

5. I think both Tampa and Detroit . I look for Montreal to take a step back .

I'm not interested in top 10. I'd consider moving up several spots if the cost was low. We need to bank some skilled prospects. If that isn't a possibility, I'm willing to trade down or away.

I think he'll end up with $5M over 3 years.

Stastny is the best available UFA for our team imo.

Pateryn. Nygren has more skill, but if he is going to leave for Europe at the first sign of adversity, I'd prefer to use him in a trade.

Toronto is our only real threat, as the only games they really show up for are against us.

Toronto is our only real threat, as the only games they really show up for are against us.

Haha, so funny you said that :lol: . But it's true Leafs have our number over the last few regular season games. They play us just like we play Boston. Extra motivation against a particular team, regardless of season form :D .

• 2 weeks later...

Question #5:

Tampa is going to be a team to watch next year. They'll likely have Stamkos for the whole year. They've recently signed Callahan to an extension. Rookies like Palat, Johnson, Kucherov, etc will all have another year of experience under their belt.

They've also recently been moving our salary (Purcell, Crombeen, Thompson) and are therefore rumoured to be trying to make a big splash in free agency. Rumor has it, they're gunning after Niskanen. And lets not forget the recent addition of Jason Garrison.

Steve Y has been doing a good job this off season. Callahan is not St. Louis by any means, but he's got the support that St. Louis never had for the past couple of years outside of Stamkos. They've got a solid, young top 6, a great goalie and (especially if they add a guy like Niskanen or Ehrhoff) a decent defense.

Along with Boston, they will be our biggest threat next year.

Archived