The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2014 July 1st Free Agency

BigTed3

July 1st is Canada Day, but it's also the first day for signing other teams' free agents. Will Marc Bergevin retain any more of our own free agents? Will he make a splash with a big signing or a ripple with a small signing? Or will he stay with the status quo and try to improve the team in other ways? The Habs could use some help with a top 6 right winger and a defenceman who can eat minutes. Who do you see MB going after? Who do you think he should go after? Are there other needs you want to see addressed?

134287075.jpg

See the list of available UFA's here: http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents

I feel that Gionta wil be resigned & I do feel that MB will trade up in the draft for sure as MB knows he needs size & goal production players.

I would not be surprised if MB re-signs Vanik if a team does not pick Vanic up early in the day on July 1 .

I feel with a few right tweeks the Habs can & will contend for the Cup in 2015 been far to long in my opinion.

Go Habs Go !!!

Hearing lots of buzz on Twitter that Boston cant afford to resign Iginla and MB has contact his agent and is making a big push for him.

I called this when the Habs beat the Bruins in the playoffs!(So did many others but still :P)

We do need a top six right wing. Iginla probably wants another one year deal, and shouldn't be too expensive.

From the Habs Rumours thread.

Ya,,,, a year,maybe 2 at 6-7, would be OK for me.

Darren Dreger tweet, dated today at 7:20 est.

"NHL and NHLPA continue to discuss revenue specifics that will determine next years salary cap. Decision tonight or Friday morning."

i would imagine that some GMs might wait until the amount of the cap is confirmed and it might influence their decisions regarding who they might sign and for how long.

Iginla is BY FAR the free agent player I would want the most. He's EXACTLY what we need; big scoring winger and it you know it will be a short deal 1-2 years AND if everything goes wrong for some reason, you can easily turn him into a first and a prospect.

I didn't even think of him as a UFA cause I figured he'd stay with Boston, but at this point its 50/50, we may have a shot at him!

I'm never really a fan of swinging for the big names this time of year. They always wind up costing way more than they should, and more often than not have a tendency to flop. But especially after looking at this years list of UFA's, Yikes! There all either too old, plain no good, or both. I for one am hopeful, and confident that MB will stay the course with what seems to be his usual strategy at this point and find the value in some of the lesser profile players that are available.

Lol, I know I might take some [edit] for what I'm about to say next, but... One player I haven't been able to get out of my head who looks to be available, and might not get as much attention as some of the "upper echelon" guys, but might well be a spectacular fit for us is Steve Downie. That's right, I said it, Steve Downie. He's not huge, but he's not small by any means, and plays like a monster. Plays RW with a right handed shot which definitely fills a void, a void that grows considerably wider if we don't re-sign Gionta (which we might not, and maybe probably shouldn't). I think his speed and offensive upside (which he really does have) would work really well with our system and style of play, while his toughness, grit and "truculence" would really compliment it, rather than take away from it as the Parros experiment seemed to do. Lol and we all saw how well that turned out.

His offense is strong enough to float any where throughout the line up, as we saw at the start of last season when he looked absolutely comfortable playing on a line with Duchenne and O'Reilly. Worst case scenario we go into the playoffs with a fourth line consisting of Prust, Downie and Weise, which actually sounds pretty good to me. Best case scenario is he balances out that DD/Pacioretty line, freeing up Gallagher to fill Gionta's spot on the second line. but those are obviously just hypotheticals.

Anyways, package all of that with the fact we could probably get him pretty cheap, at least cheap compared to the top dogs and we might be looking at some serious bang for our bucks. Not to mention the fact that he's practically the same player as Clarkson, so getting him at half the price or less would be awesome to rub in all of the Leaf fans faces!

Am I crazy, Brilliant or neither?

any thoughts?

I'm never really a fan of swinging for the big names this time of year. They always wind up costing way more than they should, and more often than not have a tendency to flop. But especially after looking at this years list of UFA's, Yikes! There all either too old, plain no good, or both. I for one am hopeful, and confident that MB will stay the course with what seems to be his usual strategy at this point and find the value in some of the lesser profile players that are available.

Lol, I know I might take some [edit] for what I'm about to say next, but... One player I haven't been able to get out of my head who looks to be available, and might not get as much attention as some of the "upper echelon" guys, but might well be a spectacular fit for us is Steve Downie. That's right, I said it, Steve Downie. He's not huge, but he's not small by any means, and plays like a monster. Plays RW with a right handed shot which definitely fills a void, a void that grows considerably wider if we don't re-sign Gionta (which we might not, and maybe probably shouldn't). I think his speed and offensive upside (which he really does have) would work really well with our system and style of play, while his toughness, grit and "truculence" would really compliment it, rather than take away from it as the Parros experiment seemed to do. Lol and we all saw how well that turned out.

His offense is strong enough to float any where throughout the line up, as we saw at the start of last season when he looked absolutely comfortable playing on a line with Duchenne and O'Reilly. Worst case scenario we go into the playoffs with a fourth line consisting of Prust, Downie and Weise, which actually sounds pretty good to me. Best case scenario is he balances out that DD/Pacioretty line, freeing up Gallagher to fill Gionta's spot on the second line. but those are obviously just hypotheticals.

Anyways, package all of that with the fact we could probably get him pretty cheap, at least cheap compared to the top dogs and we might be looking at some serious bang for our bucks. Not to mention the fact that he's practically the same player as Clarkson, so getting him at half the price or less would be awesome to rub in all of the Leaf fans faces!

Am I crazy, Brilliant or neither?

any thoughts?

Here's the stats on Downie:

Last 4 years, with 3 teams.
GP,,, 139,,(out of 328 possible games), ,18G,, 48A,,,249PIMs,,,net -4,
I'll leave it to you to decide if you're "crazy,,, brilliant, or neither" . :ph34r:

You're crazy!

I'd considered Downie briefly when perusing myself, so I don't blame you though. :P

He just isn't enough of what we are missing, and I feel we have enough of what he brings. At his best, he 'might' match Gallagher, at his worst he'd match Moen. If he falls somewhere in the middle, we already have Prust, Weise, Bourque, Bournival.

We need a legitimate top 3/6 forward if we are hunting UFA's. I don't think we need to tweak our bottom 6.

I'm on team Hemsky.

Although if Iginla could be had for 1-2 years I like that fit a lot, I just have a bit of trouble seeing that happening.

I like Hemsky too, but I wonder if he might be looking for more than he's worth, given that Ottawa wanted to retain him and gave up. Iginla is a possible target, and as I posted before, I like Michalek and Setoguchi as buy-low candidates who could rebound here.

I like Hemsky too, but I wonder if he might be looking for more than he's worth, given that Ottawa wanted to retain him and gave up. Iginla is a possible target, and as I posted before, I like Michalek and Setoguchi as buy-low candidates who could rebound here.

If I can't get Iginla, I just don't really like anyone else. I don't want to sign Vanek to a long term deal for example. I'm okay with all the people you mentioned, but on short term deals.

I feel like Havlat is the type of player the media would be ALL OVER once he got into a slump (which he definitely will). I'd rather look at Vrbata as an option at wing instead of Havlat.

Decisions should never be based on how uptight the media is. Nothing would get done in this city.

What do you think about Montreal picking up John Scott?

He doesn't really lose many fights, and he's got a very low cap hit.

Not sure why he's bounced around so many teams though.

He's available because he's terrible at actual hockey. He's a goon and nothing more, and we've seen with Laraque and Parros that having these types of players does nothing for you. Either they're taking bad penalties or involve in useless fights with other goons or they're sitting on the bench. From my end, he'd be the last player I'd look at signing.

Anybody here superstitious? An interesting little statistic I came across..

What do the 2013/14 Kings, 2013/14 Rangers, 2012/13 Blackhawks and the 2009/10 Flyers have in common?

Stanley Cup final appearances, with 2 of those teams winning the cup.

What else do they have in common?

Daniel Carcillo.

Lol coincidence or not, those I find are some pretty interesting stats.

Archived