Nikita Scherbak

Sherbak3634.jpg

Position: Right Wing
Shoots: Left
Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 174
Born: 30 December 1995
Birthplace: Moscow, Russia
Drafted: MTL 2014 (1st Round / 26th Overall)

From Shauna Denis of Canadiens.com:

PHILADELPHIA – Nikita Scherbak made a major life change a year ago when he left Moscow for Saskatoon, and he’s about to experience an even bigger one after becoming the Canadiens’ first round pick in 2014.

“This is crazy. I’m so nervous,” admitted the 18-year-old Scherbak just moments after hearing Canadiens’ director of amateur scouting Trevor Timmins call his name at Wells Fargo Center. “It’s just positive emotions for me and for my family. Montreal has great fans. It’s a great club with great history. I’m in Saskatoon and I watch NHL games and my God, Montreal is crazy. It’s unbelievable.”

Ranked 15th among all North American skaters by NHL central scouting prior to the draft, the standout winger is coming off an incredible debut campaign in the WHL, having earned team Rookie of the Year and MVP honors after posting 50 assists and 75 points in 68 games with the Saskatoon Blades.

scherbak_2.jpg 2014 26th overall pick, Nikita Scherbak.

“He’s fast, he’s talented, he has a good stride, good vision and he’s a good playmaker. For some reason, he was still available at No. 26 and we jumped on the opportunity,” explained Habs GM Marc Bergevin, who was working the phones and the draft floor throughout the first round looking for potential trading partners in case one of the first 25 teams to step up to the podium snapped up the Russian winger first.

“He’s a guy with a big personality and confidence. Montreal is a different market and from what we’ve seen from him so far, we get the impression he’ll be able to handle that,” added Bergevin. “We also have a good group of Russian players who can help him out in Alexei Emelin and Andrei Markov. We know he’ll be surrounded by good people.”

Watching the 18-year-old forward hold court with the Montreal media minutes after pulling on a Habs sweater for the first time on Friday, it’s hard to believe that just one year ago he was still living in his native Russia, unable to form even basic sentences in English. Based on his on-ice results and ability to work a crowd in two different languages, it seems Scherbak managed to expedite his North American learning curve.

“It was hard for me when I came to Canada because I didn’t speak English – just easy words like cat, dog, eat, sleep,” he admitted with a grin. “The first month I was here, I couldn’t speak with the guys in the locker room. I would just show them but I couldn’t understand anyone. It was a hard first month or two. I tried talking in the locker room and the guys helped me a lot with my English. Maybe now I can do the same with French.”

Prospects arriving at the NHL Entry Draft carrying a Russian passport have a tendency to spook some general managers, but Bergevin isn’t worried about eventually seeing his first round pick bolt for the KHL.

“He has a desire to play in the NHL. You see that by him choosing to come over to play in the WHL in Saskatoon in North America. He could have stayed in Russia and been more comfortable there,” mentioned Bergevin of Scherbak’s move to the Prairies. “His dream is to play in the NHL. There’s always a risk, but I met with him yesterday and so did Trevor. His charm and personality are both positives.”

Sherbak hit his stride almost immediately in Saskatoon, and if the shifty winger wants to start acclimating to another new hockey home in the near future, he’ll have an opportunity to put the wheels in motion in Brossard this July.

“He’ll take part in our development camp next week, then he’ll be at training camp and then we’ll see. That will be up to him,” stressed Bergevin. “For now, we’re leaving him in the hands of [director of player development] Martin Lapointe and [player development coach] Patrice Brisebois and they’ll make sure he’s on the right track. He has a good frame, but he can still put a little more meat on there.”

While he’s officially listed as 6-foot 2, 174 pounds after missing the NHL Scouting Combine due to administrative issues, the affable winger insists the bulking up process has already begun.

“I’m 6-foot-2, 190 [pounds] now, but I haven’t eaten in two days. I’m so nervous,” he joked. “I’ve just been eating my fingers!”

Still in awe of his life-changing evening in Philadelphia, it may take a while for Scherbak to come down from his Draft Day high. Already trending on Twitter across Canada within minutes of making his first TV appearance as a member of the Canadiens, he’s about to learn what life as a Hab is really like.

Good thing he’s always been a quick study.

Great prospect, congratulations to Nikita, the Habs and their fans, I believe Timmins just drafted the big playmaking RW needed for the top line in the immediate future, Stanley Cup #25 is only a matter of 2-3 yrs. away with Scherbak and the other young prospects joining the team.

• 2 weeks later...

The Montreal Canadiens have come to terms on a three-year, entry level contract with 2014 first round draft pick Nikita Scherbak.

The six-foot-two, 189-pound forward scored 28 goals and 50 assists in 65 games with the Western Hockey League's Saskatoon Blades in 2013-14. He was named the WHL Eastern Conference finalist for Rookie of the Year.

A Moscow native, Scherbak represented Team Russia in the 2013 Subway Super Series and participated in the 2014 CHL Top Prospects Game.

• 2 months later...

The Saskatoon Blades announced a blockbuster trade today, dealing forward Nikita Scherbak to the Everett Silvertips in exchange for ’97-born goaltender Nik Amundrud from Melfort, SK, a first round selection in the 2015 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft, and a second round pick in the 2016 draft.

This kid is getting a chance to play with real NHLers... Andrighetto, DLR, Hudon, and Sekac seem to be the other guys who are actually getting looks to make the team, but it's nice to see Scherbak amongst that group. Doesn't mean he should make it, but it means the team isn't writing him off just because he's a 1st-year player. He has the size to play in the NHL and apparently, his positioning has been pretty good thus far, which is something that can be hard for junior players to learn. So maybe he has a shot if he can impress in camp. Tonight is his first test, but he's being given the linemates to impress the coaches. Good on the Habs for putting him in the right situation to have some success.

This kid is getting a chance to play with real NHLers... Andrighetto, DLR, Hudon, and Sekac seem to be the other guys who are actually getting looks to make the team, but it's nice to see Scherbak amongst that group. Doesn't mean he should make it, but it means the team isn't writing him off just because he's a 1st-year player. He has the size to play in the NHL and apparently, his positioning has been pretty good thus far, which is something that can be hard for junior players to learn. So maybe he has a shot if he can impress in camp. Tonight is his first test, but he's being given the linemates to impress the coaches. Good on the Habs for putting him in the right situation to have some success.

From what I've seen he looked like the best player though... I'm pretty impressed with the quality young players this team seems to have. You hear about them but... they actually look good!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IF Scherbak had been from Saskatoon instead of being Russian playing in Saskatoon, we wouldn't even be discussing him as a Habs prospect...He would've been taken in the top ten if not top 5...However because most of the hockey community suffers from Don Cherry syndrome; Sam Bennett who couldn't even do a chin up got taken 4th and we ended up with Scherbak at 26...Which works out for us because I believe this kid is the steal of the 1st round...When all the "Experts" do their redrafts 5-10 years from now; I believe they'll reposition this kid as top 10 to top 5 calibre.

here are his stats so far i know its early but i like them

Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM 2014-15 Regular Season Everett Silvertips 5 4 5 9 4 6

those are via the teams website here that website http://www.everettsilvertips.com/

Yeah, as I write this he is 4th in points in the league & 1st in points per game (having played a few games less than the guys in front of him).

• 3 weeks later...

Canadiens prospect Nikita Scherback registered a hat trick for the WHL’s Everett Silvertips on Wednesday night in his team’s 6-3 win over the Red Deer Rebels.

The 18-year-old forward, who was selected 26th overall by the Canadiens in 2014, is off to an excellent start to the season. He already boasts 10 goals and 20 points in 12 games.

• 2 weeks later...

Scary moment for my future favorite Hab last night. He fell unmoving and unconscious after a hit and left the ice on a stretcher. Reports say that he was able to move his extremities and the preliminary exams say no neck or head injury. We should know more via the Habs as MB inquires to the junior team and their medical team.

From the Silvertips twitter account last night:

Me2PInvA_normal.jpegEverett Silvertips @WHLsilvertips· 9h hours ago

It sounds like @nikscherbak is headed to the hospital as a precaution, although we understand he has already passed certain movement tests.

Me2PInvA_normal.jpegEverett Silvertips @WHLsilvertips · 8h hours ago

Update on @nikscherbak: movement in all his extremities and his head/neck are okay. Undergoing tests for a potential back injury.

With the World Junior Championship only a month away, teams have started to release their preliminary rosters.
Russia released theirs this morning, and one notable omissions was Habs first rounder, Nikita Scherbak.

Maybe because of injury? I can't imagine them not wanting him on the roster, I think there's an outside chance he could be in NHL next year!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived