The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#20 Manny Malhotra

BigTed3

In 69 games with the Carolina Hurricanes in 2013-24, Malhotra recorded 13 points (7 goals, 6 assists), including one game-winning goal. He ranked second in the NHL with a 59.4% efficiency percentage winning 566 of 952 draws in the face-off circle. The 6’2’’ and 220 lbs forward directed 53 shots on the opposing net and added 82 bodychecks with 11:35 of average ice time per game.

Malhotra, 34, recorded 291 points (115 goals, 176 goals) and served 439 penalty minutes in 933 regular season games since making his NHL debut with the New York Rangers back in 1998-1999. He recorded 12 goals on the powerplay, three winning goals and 25 shorthanded goals. In 32 playoff contests, Malhotra scored twice, including one powerplay goal.

Not super excited about this signing, Malhotra's best days are behind him and his possession game has been brutal. That being said, he had some of the most ridiculous deployment of anyone last year so his possession needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Best case scenario is that we use the 4th line as a sacrificial lamb much like 2012-13, I think Prust-Malhotra-Weise would be able to handle pretty tough minutes and matchups and take some of the tough minutes from Plekanec.

Overall though not much risk here, 800k for one year is peanuts.

Quotes from his conference call via Habs twitter account:

“It’s an opportunity to win. To say it’s a great hockey market is a gross understatement.”-Manny Malhotra

"For me, it’s being strong in the f/o circle& on the D-side of things, being a penalty killer & providing leadership in the room."-Malhotra

In 69 games with the Carolina Hurricanes in 2013-24, Malhotra recorded 13 points (7 goals, 6 assists), including one game-winning goal. He ranked second in the NHL with a 59.4% efficiency percentage winning 566 of 952 draws in the face-off circle. The 6’2’’ and 220 lbs forward directed 53 shots on the opposing net and added 82 bodychecks with 11:35 of average ice time per game.

Malhotra, 34, recorded 291 points (115 goals, 176 goals) and served 439 penalty minutes in 933 regular season games since making his NHL debut with the New York Rangers back in 1998-1999. He recorded 12 goals on the powerplay, three winning goals and 25 shorthanded goals. In 32 playoff contests, Malhotra scored twice, including one powerplay goal.

Most important element he brings to the team. Especially if he can teach Galchenyuk (and our other centers).

Ya,,,,we were getting killed in the FO dot. Would be interesting to see him line- up across from Bergeron. :D

Not sure I'd want him out there vs Bergeron. Maybe when there is like 30 seconds left in the game or period and it is an important defensive zone faceoff. But otherwise Bergeron would dominate, even If he loses the draw.

Not sure I'd want him out there vs Bergeron. Maybe when there is like 30 seconds left in the game or period and it is an important defensive zone faceoff. But otherwise Bergeron would dominate, even If he loses the draw.

IDK,,, he's 58.6%,, :D

Malholtra & Weise played together in Vancouver. Obviously his playoff prowess really helps.

I remember back in the 80s/early 90s we had a couple of younger centres who were having trouble in the face-off circle & Guy Carbonneau (one of the best) took it upon himself to help the kids learn strong face-off skills. Makes you wonder if Malholtra can do the same with guys like Galchenyuk & even Eller.

Guest mrsmarkov

When I first heard of the signing I was completely shocked and found it random. After a few minutes of thinking about it, I wasn't too shocked anymore. I just had no interest in having a player to pity. But I do see an upside, the guy is pretty darn good at faceoffs..which we lack and MB should love the fact that Manny embodies the definition of character.

Archived