The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

AHL Rule changes for O.T., fighting & helmets

Following changes will be implemented this season in the AHL

Rule 85 (“Overtime”)
• During the regular season, the sudden-death overtime period will be seven minutes (7:00) in length, preceded by a “dry scrape” of the entire ice surface.

• Teams will change ends at the start of overtime.

• Full playing strength will be 4-on-4 until the first whistle following three minutes of play (4:00 remaining), at which time full strength will be reduced to 3-on-3 for the duration of the overtime period.

• If the game is still tied following overtime, a winner will be determined by a three-player shootout.

Rule 20.4 (“Major Penalties”)
• An automatic game misconduct will be applied to any player who has been assessed two major penalties for fighting or three major penalties for any infraction in the same game.

Rule 9.6 (“Helmets”)
• A player on the ice whose helmet comes off during play will be assessed a minor penalty unless he immediately (1) exits the playing surface or (2) puts the helmet back on with the chin strap properly fastened.

Good ideas or bad???

Guest habs1952

Following changes will be implemented this season in the AHL

Rule 85 (“Overtime”)

• During the regular season, the sudden-death overtime period will be seven minutes (7:00) in length, preceded by a “dry scrape” of the entire ice surface.

• Teams will change ends at the start of overtime.

• Full playing strength will be 4-on-4 until the first whistle following three minutes of play (4:00 remaining), at which time full strength will be reduced to 3-on-3 for the duration of the overtime period.

• If the game is still tied following overtime, a winner will be determined by a three-player shootout.

Rule 20.4 (“Major Penalties”)

• An automatic game misconduct will be applied to any player who has been assessed two major penalties for fighting or three major penalties for any infraction in the same game.

Rule 9.6 (“Helmets”)

• A player on the ice whose helmet comes off during play will be assessed a minor penalty unless he immediately (1) exits the playing surface or (2) puts the helmet back on with the chin strap properly fastened.

Good ideas or bad???

No penalty for purposely knocking a player's helmet off?

Guest archey

The problem with a better system is that the younger players are still younger and have to be taught how to do it I would think, so once you start overtimes with no second choices after the first 3 minutes....I mean you make one mistake and the game is over...Let's say you succeed for the few times in the season.....Now you're better than NHL players in your own mind at least....So how does that help NHL coaches overcome the ego factor and get them to concentrate on the system? Oh well. Probably won't matter that much, but it doesn't seem quite right to me. Much better game though. Probably will help attendance.

To my mind, 3v3 is barely any less of a skills competition than the shootout itself. It leaves me wondering: what's the point? To try and have more games decided before the shootout?

If the NHL thinks that the shootout is a good way to decide a game then let's just stick with the 5 minutes of 4v4 and then do the shootout like we already do. If they don't really think that the shootout is a good idea (which is kind of what it seems like they're implying here by trying so hard to avoid it) then why do we have it in the first place?

I like the idea of the three point game that some have bandied about. If it ends in regulation then the winning team gets 3 and the losers get 0. If it's still tied after 5 minutes of 4v4 overtime then each team gets 1 point. If a team wins during that overtime period then they get 2 pts and the OT losers get 1. I like this system because, unlike in the last system that had ties, it incentivises playing offensively in overtime (i.e. there's an advantage if you score - you get two points, but there's not really any disadvantage to getting scored on - you go home with 1 either way). There's also an incentive to try and win in regulation since you'll get the full 3 points instead of 2.

Guest habs1952

To my mind, 3v3 is barely any less of a skills competition than the shootout itself. It leaves me wondering: what's the point? To try and have more games decided before the shootout?

If the NHL thinks that the shootout is a good way to decide a game then let's just stick with the 5 minutes of 4v4 and then do the shootout like we already do. If they don't really think that the shootout is a good idea (which is kind of what it seems like they're implying here by trying so hard to avoid it) then why do we have it in the first place?

I like the idea of the three point game that some have bandied about. If it ends in regulation then the winning team gets 3 and the losers get 0. If it's still tied after 5 minutes of 4v4 overtime then each team gets 1 point. If a team wins during that overtime period then they get 2 pts and the OT losers get 1. I like this system because, unlike in the last system that had ties, it incentivises playing offensively in overtime (i.e. there's an advantage if you score - you get two points, but there's not really any disadvantage to getting scored on - you go home with 1 either way). There's also an incentive to try and win in regulation since you'll get the full 3 points instead of 2.

I abhor the shootout and I am willing to accept overtime. Since we do have overtime I too think the three point game would be the way to go.

The 3 on 3 looks intriguing to me but i don't know if that's the solution to avoid the shootout. Whats next if that fails,,,2 on 2 then 1 on 1??

To me, the only fail safe way to guarantee an O.T. goal is to bench both sides goaltenders and penalize any team who has a player in their own crease. That should end it quick. First shot on goal wins. :lol: :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived