The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#27 Alex Galchenyuk 2014-2015

ColRouleBleu

I expect this to be a break-out year for Galchenyuk. Whether he gets the chance to play center or not, I'd expect his ice time and PP time to be bumped up, and I think we'll see him play with more confidence carrying the puck this season.

Agreed. I think we started to see that at the end of last season. Toward the end of the season, and after he came back from his injury in the PO's, he sttarted to look really good carrying the puck and going to the net. Im hoping he builds on that next season. I'd love for him to shoot more as well.

I feel that Plekanec may not be a great fit for him. I'd rather see him back with Eller, avoiding all those Dzone starts. The EGG line, or PEG line (Galchenyuk-Eller-PAP) would be nice.

I expect this to be a break-out year for Galchenyuk. Whether he gets the chance to play center or not, I'd expect his ice time and PP time to be bumped up, and I think we'll see him play with more confidence carrying the puck this season.

IMHO all he needs is icetime and consistent wingers. I think that with those 2 assurances, you could see him creep up on 60, 70 or even more points. He's got the skills, he's making things happen - he just needs the ice to be allowed to do it game in & game out.

• 2 weeks later...

Galchenyuk Eller PAP soudns like a dynamite line.

Though Id love to see the EGG line reunited.

Bourqe-Plekanec-Sekac

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Parenteau

Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher

Prust/Bournival-Malhotra-Weise

Yeah, as much as I would like to see Galchnyuk at centre, if both DD and Plekanec are in uniform opening night, i wouldnt bank on it. Chances are Chucky will continue to ride the LW spot, which is fine but I still think he's much better suited to playing on Eller's wing than Plekanec. Was not a big fan of G-P-V in the playoffs. I would really like to get Gallagher off of DD's line & hope the plan is to at least start PAP there, although to be honest i expect the following from therrien:

Patches-DD-Gallagher

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Sekac

Bouque-Eller-PAP

Assuming we dont make any major roster changes, I would much rather see:

Patches - DD - PAP

Bournival - Plekanec - Bourque/Sekac

Prust/Bourque - Malholtra-Weise

Yeah, as much as I would like to see Galchnyuk at centre, if both DD and Plekanec are in uniform opening night, i wouldnt bank on it. Chances are Chucky will continue to ride the LW spot, which is fine but I still think he's much better suited to playing on Eller's wing than Plekanec. Was not a big fan of G-P-V in the playoffs. I would really like to get Gallagher off of DD's line & hope the plan is to at least start PAP there, although to be honest i expect the following from therrien:

Patches-DD-Gallagher

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Sekac

Bouque-Eller-PAP

Assuming we dont make any major roster changes, I would much rather see:

Patches - DD - PAP

Bournival - Plekanec - Bourque/Sekac

Prust/Bourque - Malholtra-Weise

I think Gallagher needs to play with DD and patches; he has a nose for the net and thats what seems to work opposite the other 2. Even thought I would have loved to bring back the EGG line. Also I don't care if DD is on that line, Patches is our only first line forward, so he's playing on the first line! lol

I like your third line. I see to many people afraid to put Pleks there, but its where he fits best and I definitely wanna see him with Sekac.... I'm okay with starting Bournival there BUT while I hope I'm wrong, I think people are going to start being disappointed in him.

But anyway... since this is the Chucky thread, I definitely agree that he needs to be top 6 winger OR 3rd line center AT LEAST this year.

I think with Gio gone Chucky will get more ice time,I don't mind him with Pleks,he was getting a lesson on defense,he needs that to be a number 1 centre,which we will see in the near future,time with Pleks will make him a more rounded player,even though MT is not my ideal coach he seems to be making the players good at both ends.

GO HABS GO ALL THE WAY

I think with Gio gone Chucky will get more ice time,I don't mind him with Pleks,he was getting a lesson on defense,he needs that to be a number 1 centre,which we will see in the near future,time with Pleks will make him a more rounded player,even though MT is not my ideal coach he seems to be making the players good at both ends.

GO HABS GO ALL THE WAY

I didn't like him with Plekanec at all. I thought the two players' styles didn't gel well, to be honest, and maybe that will just take some time, but I'd prefer to see Galchenyuk develop chemistry with someone he can play with for the next 5 years. So either get him at center between Pacioretty and Gallagher or keep him on the left wing with Eller and Gallagher.

I didn't like him with Plekanec at all. I thought the two players' styles didn't gel well, to be honest, and maybe that will just take some time, but I'd prefer to see Galchenyuk develop chemistry with someone he can play with for the next 5 years. So either get him at center between Pacioretty and Gallagher or keep him on the left wing with Eller and Gallagher.

100% agree

The biggest problem I have with him and Plekanec is I'm not sure those are the types of minutes/opposition he should be facing. Him and Eller works because Galchenyuk is ATM a pass first winger and Eller's not a great playmaker for a C but ideally Galchenyuk would be at C.

I'm not even in a rush to have him with Pacioretty/Gallagher, just getting some experience at C so next year he reasonably be trusted as the number 1 offensive C. I don't know how that would have worked logistically. I suppose trading Pleks and putting Eller in Plekanec's role? That's a tough sell for me. The other alternative would have been putting Eller on Plekanec's left wing and while in theory Eller's game would be great on the wing, it never was in the short instances he played on the wing and I don't like the idea of taking a big, strong centre with potential and making him a winger.

I don't love Desharnais, at all but I'm not sure I'd throw Galchenyuk as a full time C with the responsibility of being on our go-to scoring line already. Going into the offseason I liked the idea of a Galchenyuk - Briere combo on a line so Briere could help out with some bigger faceoffs and some of the C responsibilities and ease Galchenyuk in but getting PA for him was a slam dunk. Since we lack a number 1 C, we have 3 guys doing reasonably heavy lifting, it makes it hard to break in a kid like Galchenyuk at C.

GO HABS GO ALL THE WAY

I agree with this completely. We need him to develop into a great two way player with offensive skills. I was listening to XM Boomer Gordon hockey breakdowns and he had an excellent point. The teams that have been winning the cup in todays NHL are the teams with the Selkie trophy winners not the Richard. Toews -Cup, Bergereon-Cup, Kopitar (was in the running for slekie) -Cup . Even in the resent past. When Detroit started winning it was when Scotty made Stevie Y become better defensively. He had Federov play d- first Selkie -Cup. As the saying goes offensive sells tickets , defense wins championships. Defense is always harder to sell to the fans it's not flashy and as fun to watch, but at the end you get to watch the parade with the Cup. (Which is what counts) I think playing with Pleks is beneficial to Chucky. Seguin played with Bergeron didn't hurt his game. I want the player that in the end is the guy you put in when up a goal or down a goal with a minute to go! I don't care if he's not the next Stamkos , I'd rather have the next Toews!

As I read all these threads,there is always some one saying that Chucky or Eller should be getting more ice time or any player come to that,if you take time away from DD do you take it away from Patches,who is our best goal getter,the game is only 60 minutes long they can't all play for 20.

But I think we should see more of Chucky,but at the expense of whom,most people say DD but how will Patch play without him its their chemistry that works,certainly not Pleks his minutes are too valuable.

GO HABS GO :lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

As I read all these threads,there is always some one saying that Chucky or Eller should be getting more ice time or any player come to that,if you take time away from DD do you take it away from Patches,who is our best goal getter,the game is only 60 minutes long they can't all play for 20.

But I think we should see more of Chucky,but at the expense of whom,most people say DD but how will Patch play without him its their chemistry that works,certainly not Pleks his minutes are too valuable.

GO HABS GO :lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

You take DD away from Pacioretty. Pacman can be good with lots of other players if given the chance to develop chemistry.

I dont really buy into this DD-Pac chemistry bit. Its not so much chemistry as much as they seem to somewhat ignore the third player on their line and look for eachother. A decent chunk of DD's "nice passes" to Pac come from him blindly throwing a puck into the slot, and it making its way through skates and sticks and just getting to Pacioretty. He makes a lot of these passes that DONT make it to Patches and it looks horrible. When the puck does make it through it makes DD look like a genius.

I think the point of getting Chucky to center is to eventually (soon) have him play with Pac. A 1st line center playing with our top scorer. I dont see how anyone can watch Galchenyuk play, carry the puck, skate, and pass and not think "yeah, he's a center." Even if he doesn't pan out at C it at least needs to be tried.

Like most people here, I dont hate DD. But when you have 2 guys who both have higher ceilings playing behind him, you HAVE to give them the opportunity to reach it. I have no problem going into the season with DD on the top line. Galchenyuk should be eased into the center position instead of thrown into it. Injuries are bound to occur, and with Briere gone, Galchenyuk HAS to be our solution to that when the time comes. We see this kind of thing happen all the time: Player goes down, someone steps into his role and forces managements hands, that player has a great career because he took advantage when gives the opportunity. I see no reason why that cant happen with Chucks and we can trade someone mid season.

As long as Chucks sees some decent time at center this season I'll be happy. We have to at least start the transition this coming season.

I dont really buy into this DD-Pac chemistry bit. Its not so much chemistry as much as they seem to somewhat ignore the third player on their line and look for eachother. A decent chunk of DD's "nice passes" to Pac come from him blindly throwing a puck into the slot, and it making its way through skates and sticks and just getting to Pacioretty. He makes a lot of these passes that DONT make it to Patches and it looks horrible. When the puck does make it through it makes DD look like a genius.

I think the point of getting Chucky to center is to eventually (soon) have him play with Pac. A 1st line center playing with our top scorer. I dont see how anyone can watch Galchenyuk play, carry the puck, skate, and pass and not think "yeah, he's a center." Even if he doesn't pan out at C it at least needs to be tried.

Like most people here, I dont hate DD. But when you have 2 guys who both have higher ceilings playing behind him, you HAVE to give them the opportunity to reach it. I have no problem going into the season with DD on the top line. Galchenyuk should be eased into the center position instead of thrown into it. Injuries are bound to occur, and with Briere gone, Galchenyuk HAS to be our solution to that when the time comes. We see this kind of thing happen all the time: Player goes down, someone steps into his role and forces managements hands, that player has a great career because he took advantage when gives the opportunity. I see no reason why that cant happen with Chucks and we can trade someone mid season.

As long as Chucks sees some decent time at center this season I'll be happy. We have to at least start the transition this coming season.

I disagree with the chemistry part, but completely agree with everything else.

• 1 month later...

Well it looks like many of us will get our wish, at least in the short term :). Bergevin says that Galchenyuk will be starting camp at centre.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=461948

This is exciting news. not simply because it means galchenyuk will get a look at centre, but because one has to think, if gally does well there, one of our top 3 centres from last year will be traded. MB cant possibly think going into the season with Plekanec, DD, Eller, Galchenyuk and Malholtra at centre would be a good idea, so one of them will be moved if Galchenyuk succeeds. Obviously Gally himself wont be traded to make room for himself :P and Malholtra is a new addition (plus 4th line) so he's safe. After just signing a 4 year deal I would have to think Eller is a lock to stay (unless a deal comes along that is just too hard to ignore) - so that leaves DD and Plekanec.

Plekanec would be the hardest to lose (plus we just made him one of our 4 alternates) but there's no doubt the return on him would be high... DD probably wouldnt fetch as much in a trade but is easily our most one-dimensional centre...

I still feel like the best case scenario for this team has Galchenyuk as our #1, Eller as our #2, Plekanec #3 and Malholtra #4 because not only do you get the talent in the 'right place' but you also have the ability for players (ie plekanec) to play above their line assignment as they younger guys in front of them settle into their roles.

Will be a very interesting season. Very excited.

This is exciting news. not simply because it means galchenyuk will get a look at centre, but because one has to think, if gally does well there, one of our top 3 centres from last year will be traded. MB cant possibly think going into the season with Plekanec, DD, Eller, Galchenyuk and Malholtra at centre would be a good idea, so one of them will be moved if Galchenyuk succeeds. Obviously Gally himself wont be traded to make room for himself :P and Malholtra is a new addition (plus 4th line) so he's safe. After just signing a 4 year deal I would have to think Eller is a lock to stay (unless a deal comes along that is just too hard to ignore) - so that leaves DD and Plekanec.

Plekanec would be the hardest to lose (plus we just made him one of our 4 alternates) but there's no doubt the return on him would be high... DD probably wouldnt fetch as much in a trade but is easily our most one-dimensional centre...

I still feel like the best case scenario for this team has Galchenyuk as our #1, Eller as our #2, Plekanec #3 and Malholtra #4 because not only do you get the talent in the 'right place' but you also have the ability for players (ie plekanec) to play above their line assignment as they younger guys in front of them settle into their roles.

I see it exactly like you do, with DD being traded as the best possible scenario for the team, ideally for some help at wing to fill the void left by Galchenyuk moving over. But if Sekac or Andrighetto or DLR does pan out and the team realluy does start the year with three goalies, there will only be roster space for 13 forwards, so we'll need to deal away a top 9 forward to make room anyways. I really think/hope this is the year where we give the two top roles at center to Galchenyuk and Eller and allow Plekanec to fill the two-way role. Unfortunately, Bergevin stated yesterday that "not every winger can play center, but any center can play wing." I don't think that's true, but it leaves the door open to just moving over a center to swap spots with Galchenyuk. Worst case scenario would be seeing Galchenyuk and Eller swap spots, as that helps one guy's development but hinders another's. Plekanec won't be here long-term in all likelihood and Desharnais shouldn't be either (hopefully), so the two guys we really need to be developing/playing down the middle are Eller and Galchenyuk.

Hmmm I don't see it this way at all. I think if Galchenyuk plays center, someone will simply move to the wing. I don't see why we would be afraid of going into the season with 5 guys who can play center. Seems to be Boston had at least 7-8 natural centers dressing on a nightly basis the year they won the cup.

Hmmm I don't see it this way at all. I think if Galchenyuk plays center, someone will simply move to the wing. I don't see why we would be afraid of going into the season with 5 guys who can play center. Seems to be Boston had at least 7-8 natural centers dressing on a nightly basis the year they won the cup.

The problem is who you move to wing. As I posted earlier, I think the goal has to be to play the two centers of the future (Galchenyuk and Eller) at their natural positions. That's what's going to have the most benefit for us long-term. So do you move Plekanec or Desharnais to the wing? In the first case, you lose your number one shutdown center then, and if your three centers are DD, Eller, and Galchenyuk, you then have two guys whose zone starts you need to protect. It might make it difficult. If you move DD over, you then have more flexibility down the middle but who does DD then play with? If he plays with Galchenyuk, that just seems like a waste of Galchenyuk's offensive talent, having a non-scorer on the wing. I think moving DD out is the best possible move, but he's not an ideal winger, so a trade makes much more sense than simply changing his position.

I have no problem with more than 4 guys who can play centre (and we have others too) the problem is the specific centres we have. At this stage of his career, Malholtra is a 4th liner, period. So that leaves top 3 centre spots for 4 guys. no problem. But DD is small & really only offensively gifted (not much else there) so the only option you have with him is offensive-line centre. So that leaves 2 spots for Eller, Galchenyuk and Plekanec... who, it is pretty hard to argue are not our 3 best centres - moving forward, at least.

If DD had a more well-rounded game then Id be all for it, but keeping either Galchenyuk or Eller at LW in order to give DD the centre spot seems like madness to me. As I said earlier, I could live with galchenyuk-DD-Eller as our top 3 too if the return on Plekanec was sizeable, but it makes so much more sense to trade DD as plekanec can slowly ease into a purely defensive role (or two way like Carbo used to play on our 3rd line) as he gets older, DD, obviously cannot.

Wait which of our centers can play wing? Eller never looked good on the wing. I guess its possible with DD. It might be interesting with Pleks, I can imagine him succeeding in that role and maybe you can play him at center on your PK1?

Agreed... and he may even produce more in an offensive role on the wing. If (I still think it is a BIG IF) Galchenyuk plays center in a permanent fashion I believe Pleks would be my first choice on the wing.

Archived