The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#11 Brendan Gallagher 2014-2015

ColRouleBleu

• 1 month later...

Come on people wheres the love our little ball of fire and nobody has a word to say about him,can't wait to see him back on the ice,hope he gets settled on one line this year,I know he will be ready to give other teams hell.

GO GALLY GO :lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Come on people wheres the love our little ball of fire and nobody has a word to say about him,can't wait to see him back on the ice,hope he gets settled on one line this year,I know he will be ready to give other teams hell.

GO GALLY GO :lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

i propose we take Gallaghers heart and drive, and put it into Bourque. We would have a super power forward. Big, strong, not scared of anything and always gives 110% I always liked Gallagher. If anything he is providing some comic relief when he's standing up to Chara and can just see past his belly button lol

• 1 month later...

Love the guy's work ethic, but for lack of a true first line right-winger Brenden is the lessor of evils at this point. Ideally he plays second line at best and third most effectively IMHO. He doesn't possess the best speed, shot, skill or smarts to be the ideal first-line right-wing... the way I see it. He is all about hustle, determination and fearlessness in battle... without any doubt... but that is not enough unfortunately.

Love the guy's work ethic, but for lack of a true first line right-winger Brenden is the lessor of evils at this point. Ideally he plays second line at best and third most effectively IMHO. He doesn't possess the best speed, shot, skill or smarts to be the ideal first-line right-wing... the way I see it. He is all about hustle, determination and fearlessness in battle... without any doubt... but that is not enough unfortunately.

I think he's AT LEAST a second line guy. He's not really a first line guy, but how many teams have 3 "first line players" (as in elite) on their team. You're lucky to have 2 and 4-5 top 6 guys. He's the best RW we have imo.

• 4 weeks later...

Evidently (according to TSN radio), in last night's game after Gally-B was tripped, one of the refs told him that it was a penalty,,,, but not on him (Gally)

Hmmmm, I guess Gally has to fight thru the refs as well. What would the refs do if Gally was plastered against the boards,,, give him a diving penalty? :angry:

Evidently (according to TSN radio), in last night's game after Gally-B was tripped, one of the refs told him that it was a penalty,,,, but not on him (Gally)

Hmmmm, I guess Gally has to fight thru the refs as well. What would the refs do if Gally was plastered against the boards,,, give him a diving penalty? :angry:

I think we've always known refs are pretty terrible at their jobs, and we've had the occasional one accused of being biased. But for the ref to openly admit it to Gallagher is appalling. That ref should be fired on the spot. How can the league take itself seriously if it knowingly allows biased referees to work? Disgusting. Gary Bettman is a crook who cares about revenue and doesn't give a care about his fans (see Maple Leafs, Toronto) nor about justice.

• 2 weeks later...

LOVE this deal... no problem with this at all. He's already a top 6 guy. I don't think he'll improve much more, I think this is what he is but in 2 years he'd be making 5-6 easily. We would have save a million or so for the next 2 years and we're in GREAT shape cap wise so don't need to do it (that wasn't the case with PK if I remember correctly)

So much for bridge deals.

:lol: yeah funny how that works. It's OK though, Gallagher is a better person.

I'm really happy with the contract though, very solid value. Much like the Eller deal it's a minor overpay right now but a big discount on what you could get from a comparable UFA (and what it would cost to extend Gallagher at age 25 or 26).

:lol: yeah funny how that works. It's OK though, Gallagher is a better person.

I'm really happy with the contract though, very solid value. Much like the Eller deal it's a minor overpay right now but a big discount on what you could get from a comparable UFA (and what it would cost to extend Gallagher at age 25 or 26).

I don't think its fair to compare this to PK. PK wanted over 5 million a year and we were in a different cap situation.

I don't think its fair to compare this to PK. PK wanted over 5 million a year and we were in a different cap situation.

I think it's fair when the justification for refusing to commit to a defenseman who played 25 minutes in all situations at age 22 was that "everyone" gets a bridge deal. Think that policy is gone now, and for good reason. It is what it is, obviously the PK thing is over with now but it's just funny to me when we heard so much about how great bridge deals are but Gallagher scores 19 goals and we're sold.

I think it's fair when the justification for refusing to commit to a defenseman who played 25 minutes in all situations at age 22 was that "everyone" gets a bridge deal. Think that policy is gone now, and for good reason.

I think Subban trouncing Bergevin's bet that he wouldn't be a star within two years might have shaken MB's belief in the bridge deal. However, I also think a large part of it is that MB, MT, and the Habs penalized Subban for his personality, whereas they see Gallagher as a low-risk, hard-working player. Good for Gallagher, I'm happy to see him around for a while. Bad for what it says about the Habs for low-balling Subban twice and being unwilling to commit to the best position player on our team because of perceptions about maturity and character. As I've said before, in one of Michel Therrien's first interviews when he was hired (before ever meeting Subban as his coach), Therrien told the press he would take it upon himself to "make Subban a better player and a better human being" as if he needed fixing. He never said this about any other player. He's never stated Beaulieu or Galchenyuk or Desharnais needed to be a better human being, just Subban. It was clear from day one that Therrien had a personal vendetta against Subban and I think that manifested itself in the way the team negotiated with him. MT clearly likes Gallagher and the way he plays the game, which is I think why he avoided the bridge deal.

CBC is saying that there is no "NTC".

Which is the correct move by MB. Gallagher's a good player to have on your team, but he's a supporting-cast type player. You need to be able to at least think about using him as a trading chip down the line if someone's willing to overpay for character.

I get the Subban thing, I do. I don't even have a problem with him not being comfortable giving him the long term deal seeing as he was a rookie GM who was taking over a last place team BUT the optics of how he's handled it look very poor IMO. First of all, he made it sound like at the time it's a flat out organizational policy, bridge deals all the way and now he says "The organization and I were both comfortable in offering Brendan a long term contract." I don't have an issue with the contract or anything really but I mean, he could have said something about how policies change or anything along those lines. I guess whatever, I don't even care and it's not something I'm going to pretend is a huge deal, just looks funny is all.

Especially since I'll laugh when they go right back to hardlining Galchenyuk and making him take a bridge.

I get the Subban thing, I do. I don't even have a problem with him not being comfortable giving him the long term deal seeing as he was a rookie GM who was taking over a last place team BUT the optics of how he's handled it look very poor IMO. First of all, he made it sound like at the time it's a flat out organizational policy, bridge deals all the way and now he says "The organization and I were both comfortable in offering Brendan a long term contract." I don't have an issue with the contract or anything really but I mean, he could have said something about how policies change or anything along those lines. I guess whatever, I don't even care and it's not something I'm going to pretend is a huge deal, just looks funny is all.

Especially since I'll laugh when they go right back to hardlining Galchenyuk and making him take a bridge.

You have to negotiate tough with certain players, though. Would Subban have been willing to accept an 8-year deal worth $4.5 million when he received the bridge deal? Will Galchenyuk be willing to accept an 8-year deal worth $4 or $5 million this summer? Gallagher at 6 years for $3.75 million per season is easy because he matters less to the organization than Subban and Galchenyuk do.

You have to negotiate tough with certain players, though. Would Subban have been willing to accept an 8-year deal worth $4.5 million when he received the bridge deal? Will Galchenyuk be willing to accept an 8-year deal worth $4 or $5 million this summer? Gallagher at 6 years for $3.75 million per season is easy because he matters less to the organization than Subban and Galchenyuk do.

Exactly! I think Chucky may very well get that bridge deal. If he wants 6-8 years at 4 million I'll do it (PK want 5.5 and that was when the cap was lower). But I suspect he's going to want more than that on a long term deal, and if that's the case we'll probable only sign him to a 2 year deal at 2-3 million a year.

I agree 100%, negotiating with Subban hard wasn't ever the issue. It was making blanket statements about some organizational policy about bridge deals only to break it the next chance you get and talk about how Gallagher was a guy you felt comfortable doing it with. PK is sitll our franchise player and it is a bit of an odorous way of doing it, is all.

I have no issue with how the Subban thing turned out or the Gallagher deal. Maybe just a learning experience about the PR of it all?

I agree 100%, negotiating with Subban hard wasn't ever the issue. It was making blanket statements about some organizational policy about bridge deals only to break it the next chance you get and talk about how Gallagher was a guy you felt comfortable doing it with. PK is sitll our franchise player and it is a bit of an odorous way of doing it, is all.

I have no issue with how the Subban thing turned out or the Gallagher deal. Maybe just a learning experience about the PR of it all?

I get what your saying but I feel like that had more to do with the coach, and then outside stuff (like the Olympics). MB was just trying to get the best possible deal.

Archived