The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#76 Pernell Karl Subban 2014-2015

ColRouleBleu

Going to throw it out there that with his contract negotiations and his dominant on-ice performances, Subban's thread should be the most active one in the 2014-15 season!

yup.

Will be back in the mix for the Norris this year, especially if we have a more stable blue-line, which we appear to now. Only question is: Who plays with Subban? Markov? Tinordi? Beaulieu? Should be interesting.

Guest habs1952

Going to throw it out there that with his contract negotiations and his dominant on-ice performances, Subban's thread should be the most active one in the 2014-15 season!

Yup, I agree, but if Price falters the Halak lovers will be coming out of the woodwork in the Price thread. :lol:

Yup, I agree, but if Price falters the Halak lovers will be coming out of the woodwork in the Price thread. :lol:

The Price thread was so quiet last season. Hopefully it remains that way.

I'd have to agree that Subban's will certainly be the most busy thread leading up to his arbitration hearing. Just imagine if no deal is finalized with only a few days before his date. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok will we get this done by next Friday?!

I think so, but I'm thinking we'll be waiting until AT LEAST Wednesday. But either way, PK will be playing with us next year. WORST CASE scenario, we'll be doing this all over again next year... Nothing to get too worried about.

I think so, but I'm thinking we'll be waiting until AT LEAST Wednesday. But either way, PK will be playing with us next year. WORST CASE scenario, we'll be doing this all over again next year... Nothing to get too worried about.

Except for the stress of having to do this all over again next year lmao

the speculation of how the deal is being done should be interesting. we saw in ellers case just how much misinformation there is out there.

Im not sure there was any misinformation with Lars (aside from the one stupid hockey insider tweet that he was unhappy).

The big thing was how people interpreted those (real) numbers & then assumed that was how he was being valued by the organization etc.

And then him walking the following year.

He's never going to walk; If we don't lock him up, then we'll trade him.

I'm sure they will get an 8 year deal done now though. They both want one.

So what's the over/under number? 8? 8.5? 9? If I knew how to start a thread with a poll, I would (I may not be allowed to?)... someone should do that with like 500k ranges (Under 7.5, 7.5-8, 8-8.5, 8.5-9, over 9). In any case I'd sad 8 to 8.5.

I'm getting tired of the limbo and drama ... I want him sign, yes, but... if the price is too high, I don't know what the team mates reaction would be (puting in discussion the "C" issue, posted by many as being a must). He is already a bit too "cocky", I wonder what a big salary would do to him...

But, if he would be a trade case, I only hope that we could get something valuable for him. Because I'm pretty sure we couldn't get much because he's not very respected around the league, reason wich is my main point for him NOT having the "C". The habs would'n be the winners on his trade ...

I'm getting tired of the limbo and drama ... I want him sign, yes, but... if the price is too high, I don't know what the team mates reaction would be (puting in discussion the "C" issue, posted by many as being a must). He is already a bit too "cocky", I wonder what a big salary would do to him...

Ugg. I don't think many players look at others' salaries & resent them or anything. They may be envious but, especially when a player 'puts his money where his mouth is' I think salary (between players) is a non-issue.

But, if he would be a trade case, I only hope that we could get something valuable for him. Because I'm pretty sure we couldn't get much because he's not very respected around the league, reason wich is my main point for him NOT having the "C". The habs would'n be the winners on his trade ...

Im sorry but I think you're so very far off the mark with this one. Zdeno Chara is probably one of the most hated players in the NHL. Want to know how many teams would like him on their roster? 30. Want to know how many players would like them on their team? all.

IF the Habs were nuts enough to trade PK I have no doubt we'd get a huge return for him, however I wouldn't do it (unless it was something nutty involving 2 elite players coming back or something) because how long has it been since we've had a player like PK? 1989 ?

I think MB has personally increased PK's asking price by waiting so long to get this deal done. As soon as the Habs were unfortunately eliminated by the Rangers I started looking over the roster. Thought Eller would/should get a good term deal for about 3 million per and PK an 8/8 deal. I think if MB made these offers in the weeks after the post season ended we wouldn't be having these discussions.

Since Toews/Kane have now set the new bar for the NHL Elite, I suspect we'll be lucky to sign PK for anything around 9/10 million per.

Sometimes patience isn't a virtue.

I think MB has personally increased PK's asking price by waiting so long to get this deal done. As soon as the Habs were unfortunately eliminated by the Rangers I started looking over the roster. Thought Eller would/should get a good term deal for about 3 million per and PK an 8/8 deal. I think if MB made these offers in the weeks after the post season ended we wouldn't be having these discussions.

Since Toews/Kane have now set the new bar for the NHL Elite, I suspect we'll be lucky to sign PK for anything around 9/10 million per.

Sometimes patience isn't a virtue.

As I've said before, Subban is not in the same ballpark as Toews, Kane, or Malkin (who has signed for a cap hit of 9.5M on a long-term deal under the current CBA). All of those guys have won Cups. Malkin's been a league MVP. All three of those guys have Conn Smythe trophies. To me, that's an easy ceiling for Marc Bergevin to use. I expect Subban's deal to roll in at a maximum of 9M and more likely closer to 7.75M-8.5M.

Ugg. I don't think many players look at others' salaries & resent them or anything. They may be envious but, especially when a player 'puts his money where his mouth is' I think salary (between players) is a non-issue.

Im sorry but I think you're so very far off the mark with this one. Zdeno Chara is probably one of the most hated players in the NHL. Want to know how many teams would like him on their roster? 30. Want to know how many players would like them on their team? all.

IF the Habs were nuts enough to trade PK I have no doubt we'd get a huge return for him, however I wouldn't do it (unless it was something nutty involving 2 elite players coming back or something) because how long has it been since we've had a player like PK? 1989 ?

I don't think the players are philosophers, and above all they are humans. If money wouldn't ever be a problem... we won't have «twin salaries» or «no higher salary than Duchene stories» with O'Riley. I also remember some players grimaces (markov's, for instance) when they were asked about PK, in the time of his last negotiations. I do HOPE you're right, though.

I'm not sure about the 30 teams wanting him or Chara, WHEN you have to give back something dear...

Except Montreal, I don't know how many places are booing Chara, while the contrarty is very probable for PK (except

ontreal, I don't know how many places are NOT booing PK...).

I don't think the players are philosophers, and above all they are humans. If money wouldn't ever be a problem... we won't have «twin salaries» or «no higher salary than Duchene stories» with O'Riley. I also remember some players grimaces (markov's, for instance) when they were asked about PK, in the time of his last negotiations. I do HOPE you're right, though.

I'm not sure about the 30 teams wanting him or Chara, WHEN you have to give back something dear...

Except Montreal, I don't know how many places are booing Chara, while the contrarty is very probable for PK (except

ontreal, I don't know how many places are NOT booing PK...).

The boo him because of how good he is. The second he puts on another teams jersey those boo's wil turn into cheers. I have loads of Leafs fan friends who all hate PK. They all admit they'd love him if he was a Leaf. GM's aren't going to say no to a franchise player like PK because their fans boo him when playing against them. I would boo a guy like Lucic, but would LOVE him if he were in MTL.

As for the "no higher that x player" stories. Thats mostly GM's using other players to set a ceiling for a RFA. I dont think it has much to do with player envy. Duchene is probably the best player on that team so they use him to say 'Duchene makes 6M. Do you really deserve more?'

These guys are professionals and arent going to let things like that get to them. Gomez was pretty well liked in the dressing room here and he made 7.5M. If what you are saying is true, everyone on the team would have hated him.

OK, "mea culpa"!

I analysed my reasoning, and I did find it too subjective; I was trying to find some other reasons to support my theory.

The thing that bothers me is... the cap.

I look at the the last three winning teams (and we may ad there The Blues). Except the last two contracts of Toews and Kane, there are not so big salaries. When we look strictly at Ds, it is obvious: with huge salaries given to two-three players, it becomes harder and harder to put up a winning TEAM. Look at the last contract of Gaborik!! We may compare with whomever we want and argue that he is better then them (which is false, in my opinion, for at least 5 Ds from these teams), we may argue that the cap will go higher, the thing is we must project ourselves in the present, and in a year from now, and then in two years from now, etc..

Compare him with Shea Weber, and we may very well compare the Habs with Nashville for a while... (although, hypothetically speaking, for the same money, I would take Shea Weber instead in a heartbeat...).

Give PK a 9.5 - 10 million $ and that's it, we're obliged to play with the young comming players (wich is not necessarily a bad thing), BUT... if that doesn't work, we're ...probably not making the payoffs for certain! We will be forced to do a trade which could probably hurt us more that help. Except if the "future" is very-very bright and we don't know it yet.

So... my strongest hope goes there: I really hope that someone from Hamilton (or from somewhere else) will surprise us big time!

Best wishes!

I sure hope you are right!

Archived