The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#31 Carey Price 2014-2015

ColRouleBleu

• 3 weeks later...

Quotes from an interview Price gave the Tri-City Herald a few days ago via @habsgirl4life on Twitter:

#Habs Price: "It was definitely a long season, but a gratifying one."

#Habs Price: That whole season, it always felt it was leading up to something, whether it was the Olympics, or the build up to the playoffs.

#Habs Price: "Whether you lose in the first round or the last round, it still stings, because you ultimately didn’t win anything."

#Habs Price: "Coming that close and getting a taste of what it’s like to go that deep in the playoffs is motivating."

#Habs Price: "I was lucky and unlucky at the same time. If my leg was two inches shorter at the post I wouldn’t have been hurt at all."

#Habs Price (cont): "If it were two inches the other way, I probably would have had to have reconstructive knee surgery."

#Habs Price: "I’m doing OK now. I won’t be skating again until the mid August so that'll be the true test. Right now it feels pretty good."

#Habs Price on still sporting the beard: "I’m trying to do my best Phil Robertson impression, but I have a long way to go before that."

Carey will be even better this season,and will take on a bigger leadership role,he wants that cup so badly,if it means he has to drag the other players there he will,because he is a quiet gentle person,don't ever underestimate his determination,we know he will do it.

GO HABS GO ALL THE WAY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Habs I/O:

When it comes to goaltenders, the Habs’ Carey Price is ranked No. 3 by NHL.com, behind the New York Rangers’ Henrik Lundqvist and the Boston Bruins’ Tuukka Rask. Rounding out the top five are Jonathan Quick of the Los Angeles Kings and Sergei Bobrovsky of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Habs I/O:

When it comes to goaltenders, the Habs’ Carey Price is ranked No. 3 by NHL.com, behind the New York Rangers’ Henrik Lundqvist and the Boston Bruins’ Tuukka Rask. Rounding out the top five are Jonathan Quick of the Los Angeles Kings and Sergei Bobrovsky of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Top 3 is nothing to sneeze at, although i think head to head, in the same system with the same players ahead of them, Price is better than Rask.

It will be interesting to see if this year, with him playing with what appears to be the best defensive unit he's ever had in front of him, he gets to the next level (ie Vezina or better still Conn Smythe/Cup)

Top 3 is nothing to sneeze at, although i think head to head, in the same system with the same players ahead of them, Price is better than Rask.

It will be interesting to see if this year, with him playing with what appears to be the best defensive unit he's ever had in front of him, he gets to the next level (ie Vezina or better still Conn Smythe/Cup)

Its hard to compare sometimes but I'd take and 3 of those goalies, I don't think much separates them

• 4 weeks later...

I am expecting Subban do have a Norris-nominated season, and I am also expecting Price to be up for the Vezina. Expectations are high, and Carey is one of the best goaltenders in the world. I am predicting he delivers a knock-out season!

I'm getting the same sense you are. I'm not usually this excited about the start of a season

The mark of a great goaltender is his ability to WIN. I don't care about save percentages, etc. What it comes down to is winning. Ken Dryden was not a stone wall when he played goal with perhaps the best NHL team ever assembled during the 70's. What Dryden possessed was that he didn't let in as many goals as his opposing goaltender did that night.

In Price's early years with Montreal he was not a winner. His mind wandered during the game and the team lost games they shouldn't have. Price has always been a large question mark during the playoffs.....can he win the big game?

Of what I saw last year, Price maybe maturing (with almost a decade with the team) in his ability to be there for the team when it really counts. He bagged his first win tonite during the regular season. So far he is a winner.

In the playoffs, most teams who allow 3 or more goals in a game are usually the losers.

I don't care what Price's goal against average is during the regular season. All I care about was the number of wins he was in goal for.

If Montreal make the playoffs this year, Price has to learn to win under pressure, be there for the team at the crucial moments to give the team the opportunity to win.

That is all I ask of Price.

To be a winner, to be there for the team when it really counts.

Powerplay.. it could of been 4-1 if the puck hadn't of bounced off of his trapper and into the net and then off of Eller... Price played great the game easily could of been 6-4 T.O if it hadn't of been for Price... and he doesn't NEED to finish with a nomination it would be nice but it's not going to break him....

Powerplay.. it could of been 4-1 if the puck hadn't of bounced off of his trapper and into the net and then off of Eller... Price played great the game easily could of been 6-4 T.O if it hadn't of been for Price... and he doesn't NEED to finish with a nomination it would be nice but it's not going to break him....

I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying, but I think most games like that Price makes a couple more saves. I don't think Toronto had nearly the quality of chances that Price was used to in the playoffs (especially against Boston) and most of the regular season last year. So I'm disappointed he didn't have a great game right off the bat, but I'm very, very far from being worried about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Price has had some really bad bounces and hasn't looked particularly sharp early on.

Granted he's been the victim of some pretty bad bounces and has been left to his own devices by his dmen.

Not worried yet, he's not the only starter to struggle early on. Quick was pulled, Lundqvist has been really unlucky and bernier lost his place to Reimer. You know his play has to be bad if Carlyle has chosen to start Reimer the last 3 games.

Interesting to note, Lundqvist, Quick and Price's teams all went deep into the playoffs last spring.

Of the 4 goalies who went to the conference finals... Crawford, Price, Quick, Lundqvist, only crawford has looked good early. GAA is a tad high, but he has 2 wins in 3 starts.

Quick looked bad early in the playoffs, sharks were lighting him up, then he turned things around and we all know the rest (so do the shark fans :lol: )

It's too early to start worrying about Price's game.

Not the start he wanted, but not worried for the moment.

Guest habs1952

His numbers may not be great, but has he looked bad? In tampa maybe but I thought he's played... solid. Maybe not GREAT but good

He was great tonight.

His numbers may not be great, but has he looked bad? In tampa maybe but I thought he's played... solid. Maybe not GREAT but good

Its been a weird start for him. His numbers (aside from Ws) look bad but alot of those have been nigh-unsaveable goals. He's stopped many many pucks he had no right stopping but the ones that have beaten him have nearly all been errors on the part of defensmen - or deflections.

The nice thing is that while I would have been worried about the 'old' carey price getting down on himself, I think the new one realizes he's playing well & just lets it slide off his shoulders.

Guest habs1952

Its been a weird start for him. His numbers (aside from Ws) look bad but alot of those have been nigh-unsaveable goals. He's stopped many many pucks he had no right stopping but the ones that have beaten him have nearly all been errors on the part of defensmen - or deflections.

The nice thing is that while I would have been worried about the 'old' carey price getting down on himself, I think the new one realizes he's playing well & just lets it slide off his shoulders.

I think it helps too that he's getting some goal support.

Mike Babcock on keys to Detroit loss to Montreal 10/21:

• MTL was winning all the key face-offs (true dat; Malhotra et al were killing it that night); and
  • "Carey Price's puck-handling"

I've always thought this was significant, to Carey's game, and the response to opposing teams' strategies. There are other goaltenders that are good as well, in the NHL, but Carey's right at the top. Huge benefit. Expanded trapezoid this season may be aiding too.

(For purposes of full disclosure I suppose I should highlight that I think Mike Babcock in the best coach in ice hockey today. Ummm .... sorry Therrien! :unsure: )

I wish they'd completely get rid of the trapezoid.

They created it to create offense, in Marty's hay day he go to the corner and send it back up the ice, killing any chance for the opponent to get anything going.

But it creates injuries to dman. One of Marty's xdmen once said the fact he would fetch the puck and sent it up to a teammate, extended his NHL career. He avoided being plastered into the boards by forechecking forwards.

Now with the trapezoid, the tender has to wait for the puck to enter the touch zone, by that time the rushing forechecker is on the dman, who's waiting for the tender to get the puck and send it to him. I saw halak send MAB a pass once, by the time he finally was able to pass the puck, MAB was flattened and a little woozy after the hit.

Be interesting to see stats of how many dman have been hurt due to the trapezoid. Because the tender couldn't retrieve the puck in the corner and send it up and had to wait for the puck to come to him, how many injuries could've been avoided?

Hopefully enlarging the trapezoid cuts down on injuries, I've seen some dman take some pretty bad hits due to the delay the trapezoid creates.

Carey would flourish if the got rid of the trapezoid. He'd probably have a decent amount of assists as well.

Archived