The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#49 Michael Bournival 2014-2015

• 1 month later...

I think Bounival is some what underated,when he started with Pleks and Gio he was really good for a rookie,the goal he scored against the blues was something else.The team kept im up after his first stint because he played so well,I definately think he is better than a fourth liner,but there isn't the room to put him on the third,hope he gets to play all season.I really like him and he is fast,he plays bigger than his size,I would much rather he played than Moen.

GO HABS GO :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think Bounival is some what underated,when he started with Pleks and Gio he was really good for a rookie,the goal he scored against the blues was something else.The team kept im up after his first stint because he played so well,I definately think he is better than a fourth liner,but there isn't the room to put him on the third,hope he gets to play all season.I really like him and he is fast,he plays bigger than his size,I would much rather he played than Moen.

GO HABS GO :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I 100% agree that he is more than a 4th liner. I'd really like to see him play with Pleks or Eller. I think his forecheck and speed would compliment either player very well. Like you said though, there doesn't seem to be room to play him in the top 9. The only way I could see it happening is if Sekac doesn;t make the team. Put Gallagher with DD/Pac, a PEG line in PAP, Eller, Galchenyuk, and a 2 way line in Bourny, Pleks and Bourque. Eller and Pleks are easily switchable too.

I dont want to see Bournival rotating in and out of the line up again for the whole season.

Is it just me or does he have a problem finishing? I feel like he has a horribly weak shot but I'll admit I may be wrong

Just look up the goal against the Blues, I can't post a link,there was a cross ice pass between 2 Blues players Bourny just stopped the puck and shot it in the goal,it was a beauty,this was when he was with Pleks and Gio.He doesnt get this kind of oppertunity on the 4th line,it just seems kike a waste playing him there,he is better than that,he needs to at least be on the third or with Pleks they seemed to have chemistry,just my opinion.

GO BOURNY GO :lol::lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

IMHO his 'ceiling' is still hard to predict. Will he be a 50+ point 2 way winger or is he destined to be in that 30-35pt checker he already has should he should be (at worst).

Some is going to have to do with linemates and ice time - and what he gets now will affect the sort of player he projects out as long-term.

All i can say is that he was a huge upgrade over Obyrne so, once again - years later, well done Mr. Gauthier.

IMHO his 'ceiling' is still hard to predict. Will he be a 50+ point 2 way winger or is he destined to be in that 30-35pt checker he already has should he should be (at worst).

Some is going to have to do with linemates and ice time - and what he gets now will affect the sort of player he projects out as long-term.

All i can say is that he was a huge upgrade over Obyrne so, once again - years later, well done Mr. Gauthier.

lol Gauthier was a tough one, he made good deals but when he trade for Kaberle I just couldn't forgive him. The Cam trade was okay too in my book but the way it was done was just ridiculous

lol Gauthier was a tough one, he made good deals but when he trade for Kaberle I just couldn't forgive him. The Cam trade was okay too in my book but the way it was done was just ridiculous

Kaberle and Cammalleri were both definitely desperation moves. Gauthier was a good GM prior to that handful of month stretch in 2011-12 when the organization just went nuts but I feel like he had a pretty good sense of player value and selling at the right time, he also didn't care at all about fan pressure and I appreciated/respected that. The problems were A. He was a horrible leader and as the front man of an organization like the Habs, that won't go well and B. His panicky decisions at the end made the organization look very Mickey Mouse.

Kaberle and Cammalleri were both definitely desperation moves. Gauthier was a good GM prior to that handful of month stretch in 2011-12 when the organization just went nuts but I feel like he had a pretty good sense of player value and selling at the right time, he also didn't care at all about fan pressure and I appreciated/respected that. The problems were A. He was a horrible leader and as the front man of an organization like the Habs, that won't go well and B. His panicky decisions at the end made the organization look very Mickey Mouse.

Yeah I think that's a pretty good assessment. I'll say this, if I were GM I'd try to hire him as an assistant.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to see Bournival draw in next game, or at least soon. I didn't have anything against our 4th line last night and they played fine, but I always like the bit of offensive pop that we can get from speedy guys like Bournival and Weise.

Yup, internal competition is good, IMO. It can also help avoid injuries, to platoon guys -- dressing regulars may not tell you when they have a slight twitch; they don't want someone else to play in the place and have a great game.

I mean, did you see Moen skate and hit and battle last night? They all want to play hockey, and not sit in the box in their suits.

I'd like to see Bournival draw in next game, or at least soon. I didn't have anything against our 4th line last night and they played fine, but I always like the bit of offensive pop that we can get from speedy guys like Bournival and Weise.

Thing is, I think Bournival is more than a 4th liner. Id rather see him draw in at 3rd line but that would mean bumping Bourque and I thought that he had a strong 3rd last night so you don't want to send that message "play your heart out but if you dont get results we'll scratch you"

Thing is, I think Bournival is more than a 4th liner. Id rather see him draw in at 3rd line but that would mean bumping Bourque and I thought that he had a strong 3rd last night so you don't want to send that message "play your heart out but if you dont get results we'll scratch you"

Agreed especially in Rene's case. I can see Weise/Bournival interchange with Moen/Prust. However Weise is right & the others are left.

I would agree, but given the caliber of our 4th line, and especially the speed Malhotra and Weise have, I think Bournival would be a better fit there. Our lines wouldn't be so much a 1-2-3-4 arrangement as a 1-2-2-3, IMO.

I would agree, but given the caliber of our 4th line, and especially the speed Malhotra and Weise have, I think Bournival would be a better fit there. Our lines wouldn't be so much a 1-2-3-4 arrangement as a 1-2-2-3, IMO.

I like that too

1.5 - 1.5 - 3 - 3.5 to my mind .... :)

Prust and Moen maybe need to both be in the lineup for teams that can play rough.

im happy he'll get playing time but I think we could have used his speed already.

I mean im fine with guys like Moen and Weise subbing in and out but there are other guys who havent really "earned" their spots over Bournival yet he gets no chance to sub in yet....

At very least I would have sat Sekac for a game & tried Bournival in his place. I suspect a line of Bourque-Eller-Bournival could handle the defensive 3rd line duties better.

We'll see how the Habs do the next couple of games. I like Bournival. He's also fairly reliable, in addition to being a good skater.

At this point I'd nominate Eller for a switch out -- he's off to his "last regular season" where he had the worst plus-minus on the team. More of the same this year (-6 already), plus 3 minors. Nodda point.

But maybe Eller will have a good couple of games while Bournival is AHL'ing it.

Archived