The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#35 Dustin Tokarski 2014-2015

ColRouleBleu

I think we're addressing two separate questions here:

1. What trade value Tokarski has: on this, I think any return will be minimal, perhaps a mid-round draft pick, a prospect, or so on. We're not going to get a top-tier player, despite the potential he showed in the playoffs and the hype he got from the media. I think we can all agree that Halak had more value a few years ago when we traded him, but that being said, the return on Halak (a recent first round pick who has panned out quite nicely) was fairly decent, especially when you consider we had no room to play both Halak and Price. I would be ecstatic if we could rope another Eller-like prospect for Tokarski, but I think we'd be looking for a guy whose got a bit more of a question mark next to his name.

2. Whether we're better off trading Budaj or Tokarski: the fact is that neither guy is going to be a star and neither guy is going likely to get a shot at having a significant amount of playing time here. The question really comes down to whether you want a guy who has done well as a spot starter but who has faltered when asked to carry the load with Price injured or a guy who doesn't have the experience as an NHL back-up but who might be able to fill the starter's role a little better in the event of a Price injury. My argument for keeping DT would be three-fold:

- as mentioned above, the return on either guy is unlikely to be significant, so it doesn't factor into the equation too deeply unless we really get a team that's desperate to grab DT

- If Price stays healthy, I'm not sure we'll see a great difference in the point return in games that either Budaj or Tokarski play. If that guy plays 10-12 games, chances are he'll end up with a record very close to 0.500, one way or the other. So to me, it's more important that we have a guy who gives us the best chance to keep the season alive in the event Price goes down for 10-20 games. Last year, playing Budaj very nearly cost us in that situation, so I'd be more willing to give DT a shot in that role.

- Lastly, all other things being equal, Budaj makes more money than DT, so why not keep the cheaper player on a two-year deal?

agreed with everything you said except I would only add that Tokarski CAN POSSIBLY improve his trade value, that's just not going to happen with Budaj

• 1 month later...

Seven years younger and less than half the cost... will this factor into management's decision making process regarding him vs. Budaj as the Habs back-up goalie? This is a business when all is said and done... Dustin as the choice would seem to make sense to me.

Seven years younger and less than half the cost... will this factor into management's decision making process regarding him vs. Budaj as the Habs back-up goalie? This is a business when all is said and done... Dustin as the choice would seem to make sense to me.

You need a trade partner too though if you're planning to move Budaj. Putting him in the minors only reduces a portion of his cap hit so you're not really saving anything there.

You need a trade partner too though if you're planning to move Budaj. Putting him in the minors only reduces a portion of his cap hit so you're not really saving anything there.

Obviously a trade is preferable, but I thought $900,000 accorded to the minor contract... vs. Drewiske at $637,500 so there would be some savings

I see Tokes being waived back to Hamilton myself. I just don't see another team having a roster spot available to pick him up as some fear.

If he's claimed, then the team claiming him doesn't have the option of sending him down i believe. Let's all remember the kid has only a dozen or so games of NHL experience. Not much of a book on him just yet.

I see Tokes being waived back to Hamilton myself. I just don't see another team having a roster spot available to pick him up as some fear.

If he's claimed, then the team claiming him doesn't have the option of sending him down i believe. Let's all remember the kid has only a dozen or so games of NHL experience. Not much of a book on him just yet.

Hmm... I didn't know that applied to him. If that could work in the Habs favor then so be it. I was actually thinking Budaj's contract may disuade other teams picking him up... then again if a team needs to reach the cap minimum it may not.

Hmm... I didn't know that applied to him. If that could work in the Habs favor then so be it. I was actually thinking Budaj's contract may disuade other teams picking him up... then again if a team needs to reach the cap minimum it may not.

From what i understand,,,any team claiming him, either has to keep him on the roster, or put him back on waivers to send him down to the minors. They can't trade him for the remainder of the season in which he was claimed.

I think i would prefer Toks myself, but unloading Budaj's one year deal seems just as unlikely as another team taking Toks on waivers. If we buy him out, then we're on the hook for a good chunk of his money, and Dustin's salary to boot. Don't see management going that route.

From what i understand,,,any team claiming him, either has to keep him on the roster, or put him back on waivers to send him down to the minors. They can't trade him for the remainder of the season in which he was claimed.

I'm not even sure that they have that second option. I think that if you claim a guy off waivers that you have to keep him on the roster for the season.

If DT were placed on waivers, I would not be surprised to see the Coyotes claiming him as he is more proven than Visentin and younger than Dubnyk.

I haven't looked it up yet, but there's still the question of what do the Yotes do with those other players? Do they need to waive them or buy them out? That would certainly factor into their budget situation.

I don't think it's as black and white as simply claiming a guy because he might be a slight upgrade on a backup spot.

I'm not even sure that they have that second option. I think that if you claim a guy off waivers that you have to keep him on the roster for the season.

As far as i understand from having read that part of the CBA ( complicated)... they can put him back on waivers, with any other club that may have put in an original claim, having first shot at him. I may have misinterpreted that though.

Problem solved with Budaj being traded to the Jets.

Another distraction taken care of before the season starts. And, IMHO, if Peter were to start 20 games (depending on the opposition) he would/could win between 9-12 of them. If Dustin were to start the same number of games, he would/could win between 11-14 of them.

Another distraction taken care of before the season starts. And, IMHO, if Peter were to start 20 games (depending on the opposition) he would/could win between 9-12 of them. If Dustin were to start the same number of games, he would/could win between 11-14 of them.

Totally agree. Congratulations to Tokarski. I think he deserves the opportunity and has shown he will fight for his spot on this team.

I don't really think we can know each goaltender's ability to win the games they start (Budaj or Tokarski). Tokarski could start 20 games for Montreal and lose 15. He's played in less than 10 games for Montreal since we acquired him from Tampa Bay.

Hopefully he does well. I'm happy the issue is resolved, but only time will tell if he's the right man for the job.

• 4 weeks later...

About the game versus buff on November 5th

I remembered something from the game im not shure anybody noticed it or not or on tv they showed it but when teskarsi I know wrong spelling led montreal on the the ice for the pregame skate it looked like he triped for for shure went to the ice after he lead montreal on the ice or he normally does that because it the first game in person that ive seen him play

Small goalies have a harder time and need to be quicker, with very fast reflexes.

I remember our last shootout ( before the sabres game) that tokes played. First goal he looked really small and didn't even react. But he shook it off and shut down all the other shooter. Believe PAP got the winning goal in that game as well.

I remember Steve Penny, was outstanding in the playoffs, but never did anything past that. His career actually ended shortly after.

So I was a little concerned when MB traded Budaj and kept tokes. Was the smartest move, keep the younger tender, who has promise. But expected him to struggle in his first year, so far so good.

Impressed with the kid.

Believe PAP got the winning goal in that game as well.

PAP has got the winning goal in all our shootouts (3) so far believe it or not.

And I agree with your points about Tokarski - he's looked sharper than i expected at this point tbh. I felt like moving Budaj was the right thing to do, but i had concerns too. So far he (Tokarski) has looked very sharp.

Archived