Assistant General Manager

carriere_55.JPG

Rick Dudley
Assistant General Manager

dudley_55.JPG

Trevor Timmins
Director of Amateur Scouting

timmins_55.JPG

The 2014-2015 season will mark the third in Marc Bergevin's tenure as General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens. Coming off a nomination for GM of the Year, he brings a knowledge of the local market and an unbridled enthusiasm for his job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQWRx6gpanA

• 3 weeks later...
The Canadiens announced that Rick Dudley was promoted from assistant general manager to senior vice president, hockey operations. Scott Mellanby was promoted from director of player personnel to assistant general manager, to work with Larry Carriere.

And Trevor Timmins was appointed vice president of player personnel, while retaining his responsibilities as the Club's director of amateur scouting.

It sounds like Mr. Molson is happy with his hockey operations. Promotions and raises for all after two years of success. Now if Bergevin can just think of a new name for his position. I like the new signings for staff.

I always liked Ramage as a player and think his previous life experiences can be a huge asset for teaching young hockey players about life on and off the ice.

Now just one m ore signing to take care of. I hope it happens in July.

It sounds like Mr. Molson is happy with his hockey operations. Promotions and raises for all after two years of success. Now if Bergevin can just think of a new name for his position. I like the new signings for staff.

I always liked Ramage as a player and think his previous life experiences can be a huge asset for teaching young hockey players about life on and off the ice.

Now just one m ore signing to take care of. I hope it happens in July.

I think we were all wrong on that one.

If Bergevin fails to sign Subban to a long term contract yet again then I want him gone. He has no issues with signing players like Moen, Prust, Eller, Emelin, and Desharnais to 4 year deals but when it comes to a very rare talent like Subban he refuses to sign him long term and give him what he's worth when we have the cap space for it.

If Bergevin fails to sign Subban to a long term contract yet again then I want him gone. He has no issues with signing players like Moen, Prust, Eller, Emelin, and Desharnais to 4 year deals but when it comes to a very rare talent like Subban he refuses to sign him long term and give him what he's worth when we have the cap space for it.

Pretty much this, although we're far from figuring out what the resolution to this will be. Bergevin may yet come through. That being said, we all want to see MB sign Subban for a reasonable long-term deal, but any type of long-term deal would be better than seeing him walk altogether.

The bigger issue in my opinion is what MB did two years ago, signing Subban to a low-ball two-year bridge deal. As I've said repeatedly, he made a huge mistake of not locking him up at that time, and he made a huge mistake of playing hardball with him at that time to save a couple hundred thousand dollars. At that time, Bergevin sent the message to Subban that he would have to prove his worth to the team. Subban answered the call. If you're MB and you make that kind of deal two years ago, you can't really break the "promise" to the player that he would be rewarded if he played out the bridge deal well. So I agree, if MB fails to lock up Subban to a 7- or 8-year deal, then he's failed miserably twice to keep his best player in the fold, and that would be grounds to be fired. We'll wait to see how this plays out, but it's put a black mark on Bergevin's record that he's dished out all kinds of term and money to pluggers yet won't pay his star.

It will be interesting to witness the effects of MB's penny-pinching ways on the ice when the new season starts. Not only has he disappointingly let several big names fly past during the offseason, now he's trying to lowball the team's best D-man. I'm quite sure many of the big names previously in negotiation with MTL were interested to sign, but were probably pissed off by MB lowballing them. That's why they decided to take their talents elsewhere. It's an affront to the value of their skills and potential contribution!

MB's acquisitions in the postseason so far can only be described, at best, as lateral. Not really moving up, but moving sideways. In the meantime, other divisional and league rivals have beefed up their squad and plugged their weaknesses.

At the end of next season, if Detroit, Tampa or even Florida ever relegates the Habs to a wild card playoff berth or even shut them out of playoff qualification, I'd like to see how much monetary savings can save MB's blushes.

There are some interesting factors to this. Some putting PK' hardline on Therrien's treatment of him, but Renaud Lavoie said the sides have not been close for a while. Although I would like to see PK signed long terrm I think it has to be at a fair price and I am not sure what kind of long term dollars PK wants.

For players like Beaulieu, Nygren or others this may be a bit of a crossroads. If Bergy does not feel a deal can get done long term we may be seeing a set up for a trade down the road. The young D may be able to influence this further if the two sides don't agree and PK only signs for the one year. It would make sense to trade him this year while his value is so high and if some of the younger defensemen show they are ready. Perhaps we could package him for a possible shot MacDavid (do a deal with Calgary or one of the other potential bottom feeders). While I hope we can keep Subban long term there are more options available if we can not get a deal done.

It will be interesting to witness the effects of MB's penny-pinching ways on the ice when the new season starts. Not only has he disappointingly let several big names fly past during the offseason, now he's trying to lowball the team's best D-man. I'm quite sure many of the big names previously in negotiation with MTL were interested to sign, but were probably pissed off by MB lowballing them. That's why they decided to take their talents elsewhere. It's an affront to the value of their skills and potential contribution!

Not sure who you're talking about. We simply couldn't afford Vanek, and Gionta isn't really a big name. Who should we have thrown money at in free agency? We gave Markov a fair contract, and made good value signings in free agency. Not happy with the low balling on Subban but that's a different discussion.

MB's acquisitions in the postseason so far can only be described, at best, as lateral. Not really moving up, but moving sideways. In the meantime, other divisional and league rivals have beefed up their squad and plugged their weaknesses.

Parenteau is a huge upgrade on Briere. Weaver is a huge upgrade on Murray. Malhotra is an upgrade on White. Gilbert is an upgrade on Gorges, and also an upgrade in that Emelin moves back to the left. Only divisional rival that did anything noteworthy was Tampa, other than that Boston got worse and older, Toronto did OK and signed a bunch of 3rd liners, Detroit did nothing, Florida threw money at Bolland, Ottawa lost Spezza and did nothing... not seeing what division rivals did that's so scary.

At the end of next season, if Detroit, Tampa or even Florida ever relegates the Habs to a wild card playoff berth or even shut them out of playoff qualification, I'd like to see how much monetary savings can save MB's blushes.

Tampa Bay is a threat. Florida signed plugs, and Detroit signed nobody and got older. He's not really even penny pinching, it's just been shuffling around the contracts to maximize cap space. We have 11M in cap space only because Subban isn't signed, we won't be carrying more than 2-3M of cap space going into the season.

I don't really see anything besides the Subban stuff as penny pinching. We found good value but Gilbert and Weaver aren't scrubs, they're undervalued because NHL GM's get bent out of shape to sign plugs and big guys.

Tampa definitely got better, but I think Detroit and Toronto will be better as well, just by virtue of their players developing. Ottawa, Buffalo, and Florida likely end up being bottom-feeders again, unless there's a surprise in the way their teams gel. Boston will be good again because their team is well-coached and their core is intact. But at the end of the day, we are as good as any team in our division, and we can finish 1st, just as we can finish 5th and miss the playoffs. I think MB has done a good job addressing the concerns of last year, as much by subtraction as by addition, and then today, he's put the biggest piece back in place. Now it's up to Therrien to use the personnel properly and use a system that's more effective than what he employed last year.

I don't get the complaints about penny pinching either, that's a legitimate gripe if we're signing plugs instead of solid players, but moving Gorges at 3.9M and bringing in Gilbert at 2.8M isn't penny pinching, it's making smart decisions about value. For just over the same money as what Gorges cost last season we now have Gilbert and Weaver. We turned 4M of Briere on the 4th line into 4M of Parenteau in the top 6, that's again just smart value decisions. We quietly had one of the best offseasons in the league, Gorges trade was a bit of a soap opera and this PK stuff has been dramatic, but what flew under the radar is how much better the top 4 D will be this coming year, and how much better Parenteau will be than Briere.

I think those get really understated as being both a value and a "hockey" upgrade, they're better players and better value, it wasn't an either or proposition. That's without even accounting for Bouillion/Murray being replaced with Beaulieu/Tinordi (which is huge), and the improvement we can expect from Galchenyuk, Gallagher, and perhaps one of Bournival/Sekac/Andrighetto.

I don't really care that Vanek and Gionta walked. I wanted Gionta back but not at anywhere near 4.5M, and with Parenteau here it's not a big deal. We don't have room for Vanek unless we let Markov walk which IMO is a net downgrade. Ideally we could have retained Vanek but that just wasn't feasible, bringing Vanek back would have required taking Briere's 4M off the cap which I don't think was possible. The next best thing was turning 4M of 4th line C into 4M of top 6 winger. We even got a little bigger for the moar size crowd, the only "smurfs" left are Desharnais and Gallagher.

I was totally dejected yesterday and really angry it went to arbitration, but if a year ago you told me Briere, Gorges, Murray, White, and Bouillion would become Parenteau, Gilbert, Weaver, Malhotra, Beaulieu, and Tinordi, as well as reasonable extensions to Markov and Subban, I'd have laughed and called you crazy.

I don't get the complaints about penny pinching either, that's a legitimate gripe if we're signing plugs instead of solid players, but moving Gorges at 3.9M and bringing in Gilbert at 2.8M isn't penny pinching, it's making smart decisions about value. For just over the same money as what Gorges cost last season we now have Gilbert and Weaver. We turned 4M of Briere on the 4th line into 4M of Parenteau in the top 6, that's again just smart value decisions. We quietly had one of the best offseasons in the league, Gorges trade was a bit of a soap opera and this PK stuff has been dramatic, but what flew under the radar is how much better the top 4 D will be this coming year, and how much better Parenteau will be than Briere.

I think those get really understated as being both a value and a "hockey" upgrade, they're better players and better value, it wasn't an either or proposition. That's without even accounting for Bouillion/Murray being replaced with Beaulieu/Tinordi (which is huge), and the improvement we can expect from Galchenyuk, Gallagher, and perhaps one of Bournival/Sekac/Andrighetto.

I don't really care that Vanek and Gionta walked. I wanted Gionta back but not at anywhere near 4.5M, and with Parenteau here it's not a big deal. We don't have room for Vanek unless we let Markov walk which IMO is a net downgrade. Ideally we could have retained Vanek but that just wasn't feasible, bringing Vanek back would have required taking Briere's 4M off the cap which I don't think was possible. The next best thing was turning 4M of 4th line C into 4M of top 6 winger. We even got a little bigger for the moar size crowd, the only "smurfs" left are Desharnais and Gallagher.

great post, agree with all of it.

now that subban has signed after what looked like a major bungling i can go back to being happy with bergevin.

truly one of the biggest frustrations was how well i thought he did with all the things you mentioned above, i was singing the guys praises before this week.

now that this drama is cleared i really give him full marks, all the moves made this offseason have made good logical sense AND financial sense

• 2 weeks later...

Jack Todd reporting today that a source "high up" in the Canadiens organization confirming that is was Geoff Molson who made the call to sign Subban for the 8-year deal he eventually signed and that Bergevin wanted to hold strong and take it to arbitration for the one-year deal. We had some doubts about Bergevin's opinion of Subban after he hard-balled him twice, then praised him for getting the deal done at the last minute... but if Bergevin really thought that taking Subban to a one-year arbitration-based deal was the way to go, that raises serious questions yet again. Not sure I understand why you try to lowball your best player twice in a row while throwing money at role players. That doesn't add up for me, but kudos to Molson for stepping in when he needed to, if indeed that report is correct.

Of course we will never know, for sure, how it went down but PK is signed. This makes me very happy. I do hope, however, he will be here long after MT & MB.

Really? I hope Bergevin is still around when PK retires. If he hasn't been replaced by the it will almost certainly mean we've enjoyed 15+ years of being a great hockey club.

Archived