The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ryan White

• 2 weeks later...

I forget ... lets say the Arbitrator rules that White should be paid XXX amount over YYY years ... is Montreal then locked into having to sign him or can they pass and let him walk as a UFA?

Well, first off its unlikely he'll get to arbitration, i suspect they'll work out a deal before then, but there's a deadline in early July to file, which is why its done. Its highly unlikely a player like white (4th line grinder) is going to go to arbitration, but you never know. I suspect he just did it to cover his behind.

A team can always walk away from the arbitrator's ruling (thus making the player UFA, yes). They (the team) have 48 hrs to decide i believe. Oh and the maximum length of a contract an arbitrator can award is two years.

Well, first off its unlikely he'll get to arbitration, i suspect they'll work out a deal before then, but there's a deadline in early July to file, which is why its done. Its highly unlikely a player like white (4th line grinder) is going to go to arbitration, but you never know. I suspect he just did it to cover his behind.

A team can always walk away from the arbitrator's ruling (thus making the player UFA, yes). They (the team) have 48 hrs to decide i believe. Oh and the maximum length of a contract an arbitrator can award is two years.

That clears it up. As to White himself ... I'm on the fence about him ...there were some games where he was an acceptable/good 4th line player, and many where he just cost the team far too often. Personally I'd like to see Halpern in that spot, with Dumont as backup

I love the thinking by people on here. Constant complaining we have to get bigger and tougher but when we have the ability to do so, complain about it and want to walk away from it without even knowing the cost. Really???? We have a younger Prust like player that had ONE off year. He plays well defensively, is good on faceoffs (about the same F/O% as Halpern but younger AND is willing to stick up for teammates) plus would be with and learning from Prust to become even better. He hasn't played enough to get a big contract,even with the arbitrator ruling in his favor would still be cheap. Who would you replace him with? Someone older and more expensive? I'd much rather White over Parros, at least Ryan can take a regular shift, can fill in on the PK, will be cheap and is young.

The complainers are probably the same people that want to trade away DD, a 50-60 point player because he's small even though he's signed cheap and really won't be hard to trade in a year or two when A.Gally and Eller have proven they're ready for more,but have you really thought about who you would replace him with right now? Someone BIGGER? OLDER? MORE EXPENSIVE? Doesn't make sense to me.

How about the ones that want to trade Pleks? Our best centerman!! The most underrated two way player. Because he's not in his early 20's?? Who would you replace him with? How many guys would it take to replace him and how much would it cost? Eller isn't ready yet, he's getting there but he's not close to as good as Pleks is yet. Plus Pleks is signed to a reasonable contract. Again doesn't make sense to me.

How would our team look if we didn't have Pleks, DD and White? I believe we'd be smaller, softer, and worse defensively AND offensively. We'd probably be older and slower as well.

I like what White brings, I liked his play in the playoffs and I think he'll get better. I hope we keep him.

I dont disagree, Kordic. He's not a core member of this team but he's got some skills and for a 4th line agitator, he plays pretty darned good defensive hockey (I would argue that he has better than average 4th liner's hockey sense). Plus he's got quite good speed. The big key with him is going to be figuring out how to balance his desire to "stick up for his team" without hurting them in the process. I believe it will come.

As I said earlier, I dont think this move (Filing for arbitration) had anything to do with contract disputes or an over-inflated idea of his worth. Players have to file by an early july deadline every year, or else they arent eligible. I suspect he'll be under contract long before his arbitration date.

I'm kind of thinking Ryan's place on the team is not a "for sure" thing this coming season. With Gabriel Dumont pushing last year, and Louis Leblanc's supposedly impressive summer camp, it's possible Ryan could be starting the season in the press-box, Hamilton, or another team, IMO.

he's definitely a wildcard, either he keeps his emotions in check and gets under the other teams skin or they get under his skin and puts his team in a bad spot.

I know I've said it before, but I like how he played when he returned from his suspension at the end of the season. That's the Ryan White I want to see, but you don't always get that Ryan White.

Now we have alternatives if it doesn't work with White.

Ball is in his court now.

I hope the Habs let it go to arbitration and reject the arbitrators offer. Frees up a spot on a crowded roster.

The only way that will happen is if White wants too much money. If we didn't want him we wouldn't have given him a qualifying offer.

Almost all the team's centers are playmakers. Plekanec is an awesome two way player as we all know but his generally assumed position is as a 1/2 line playmaking center. Eller's style is completely unique but he to brings a-lot of likely unrealized defensive potential to the table. Still, Plekanec , Eller, Desharnais, they are all playmaking centers at the end of the day. Dumont and Leblanc and Bourinval, they're all in the same boat, they don't really bring anything different then what our three top centers already do.

He'll be back, White at least does bring something different, and him seeing 30-45 game's would be great and he from there can determine who gets more game's.

I'm kind of thinking Ryan's place on the team is not a "for sure" thing this coming season. With Gabriel Dumont pushing last year, and Louis Leblanc's supposedly impressive summer camp, it's possible Ryan could be starting the season in the press-box, Hamilton, or another team, IMO.

I dunno about that, Dumont maybe, because he did well on his limiited faceoffs last year...but this team is short a 4th line center. Leblanc has been developed almost solely as a winger as far as I can tell.

Even then though, Dumont's sample size is fairly small. He's also a small guy on a team that already probably has one too many of them.

Here's the thing though...while I might disagree with you some, what's exciting is the depth and internal competitions that will be abound with this team now and in the future.

So sick of seeing afterran guys playing because there's just no depth to do anything else. Having those guys below you in the depth charts to push you can just make everyone that much bit better.

I look forward to seeing what White does next year, I'm almost always impressed with him. If he can keep his emotions in check he could be such an asset.

Maybe he should get into yoga, or some sort of relaxation type thing. Anyone know his agents' phone number?

He'll be back, White at least does bring something different, and him seeing 30-45 game's would be great and he from there can determine who gets more game's.

This is kind of my thinking. If white gets pushed to the press box its because of guys like Prust, Moen & even Parros. Dumont, Leblanc etc - i dont think they're taking white's spot.

while I might disagree with you some, what's exciting is the depth and internal competitions that will be abound with this team now and in the future.

This. Its nice we can even have this sort of discussion. It wasnt long ago that we were trying to figure out 2 players good enough to play on our top line. Now we're trying to figure out a way to get 9 + forwards ice time. Im still a little concerned about defense though.

I look forward to seeing what White does next year, I'm almost always impressed with him. If he can keep his emotions in check he could be such an asset.

Maybe he should get into yoga, or some sort of relaxation type thing. Anyone know his agents' phone number?

Id agree. he's never going to be much more than a 4th liner, but he could be one of the better 4th liners in the game if he could play consistently well. He'll never win any scoring races but he has the tools to be the quintessential pest because of his mix of speed, hockey sense and toughness.

I like our team more with White in it, especially how he played after the suspension and in the playoffs, and he actually creates more options for us. Dumont is still an option at center as Ryan can also play wing just as well. Therefor it can also make Moen expendable for a player or draft pick for us. Having him really helps all around.

This is kind of my thinking. If white gets pushed to the press box its because of guys like Prust, Moen & even Parros. Dumont, Leblanc etc - i dont think they're taking white's spot.

This. Its nice we can even have this sort of discussion. It wasnt long ago that we were trying to figure out 2 players good enough to play on our top line. Now we're trying to figure out a way to get 9 + forwards ice time. Im still a little concerned about defense though.

Id agree. he's never going to be much more than a 4th liner, but he could be one of the better 4th liners in the game if he could play consistently well. He'll never win any scoring races but he has the tools to be the quintessential pest because of his mix of speed, hockey sense and toughness.

He actually has good hockey sense. Like many NHL checkers/grinders was actually a point producer in the minors. He does have good speed, adds grit and can score the odd surprising goal.

I'm hoping the signing of Dumont and his objective of making the habs will ight a fire under White's butt. If it doesn't and he loses his spot to Dumont, then we have a good 4th liner in Dumont, either way, with whoever emerges, the habs will benefit.

No arbitration needed.

1yr - $700K

Yup. Filing for arbitration was simply protecting himself by the deadline imposed. As mentioned,,,,if the Habs had no interest in signing him, then they wouldn't have qualified him in the first place.

Good signing at fair money.

Archived