The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Poll of the Week - August 20

BigTed3

Trade Targets  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following players do you think will be traded before opening night?

• Peter Budaj
    • Dustin Tokarski
    • Travis Moen
    • Brandon Prust
    • David Desharnais
    • Rene Bourque

The Habs have a surplus of players in certain roles right now, namely in goal and on the 4th line. They also need to think about making room for Eller and/or Galchenyuk at center. Which of the players, whose names have been discussed as potential bargaining chips, do you think will be traded before puck drop in October? You may select multiple answers.

Honestly, I *think* that either Tokarski or Budaj (my guess is Tokarski) and one of either Moen and Prust (my guess is Moen) will be gone by opening night.

I dont necessarily think those are the best moves we could make (I personally believe we're better with Galchenyuk-Eller-Plekanec down the middle and I dont think DD's value will ever be higher than it is right now) but i think they are the most likely ones that MB would do.

I picked Moen, but only by elimination. IMO, DD is a "wait and see" player, meaning how will he do for the 1st 15-20 games. RB is also a wait and see player. The 2 goalies ( I might be wrong here), have to prove they want the job over the other. Prust is too versatile to be moved that soon.

Final answer. :ph34r:

I almost didn't vote, as I wouldn't be at all surprised if we go into opening night without having made any more moves. One of our goalies will no doubt be traded, but I don't see that as something that has much of a time limit - it could very well happen after the first game.

I expect a goalie to be moved but i'm somewhat doubtful we'll find a trading partner. Too much choice still available out there for teams. Most likely one of them gets waived and likely clears. I suspect it will be Toks.

Adding to the difficulty of finding a trading partner for one of our goalies is the fact that, if we don't make a trade, one of them will probably be waived soon in any case. Why give up assets when you can wait a bit and get one of them for free?

I guess there could be a team that would be worried that another team would pick the goalie up first - but is there really a team that is worried enough about their goaltending that they would really be that concerned?

Adding to the difficulty of finding a trading partner for one of our goalies is the fact that, if we don't make a trade, one of them will probably be waived soon in any case. Why give up assets when you can wait a bit and get one of them for free?

I think if a team is truly interested in either they would make no qualms about a 6th or 7th rounder, which is better than losing either to waivers. Honestly, i think people will be surprised when they see the return for whichever goalie we decide to move.

As I said before, unless you include one as part of a package (and then its value by numbers) I think its highly unlikely we get much of anything of value in return for either at this point.

I think if a team is truly interested in either they would make no qualms about a 6th or 7th rounder, which is better than losing either to waivers. Honestly, i think people will be surprised when they see the return for whichever goalie we decide to move.

As I said before, unless you include one as part of a package (and then its value by numbers) I think its highly unlikely we get much of anything of value in return for either at this point.

I'd be doing cartwheels in the aisles if we got anything near the return some are touting in here. :P No GM in their right mind is going to step up give us a Halak type return for either or both of our guys. A toss in as part of a bigger deal is the best we can hope for in the trade route IMO.

I almost didn't vote, as I wouldn't be at all surprised if we go into opening night without having made any more moves. One of our goalies will no doubt be traded, but I don't see that as something that has much of a time limit - it could very well happen after the first game.

I did vote for the people I'd like to move, but now deleted them because you're right I highly doubt anyone will be moved except maybe one of our goalies, but I wouldn't be surprised if we start with 3 goalies and trade one early in the season (probably Budaj)

we might be able to pull off a little more for Budaj, I was thinking maybe a 4th or 5th. But whatever, I'm not going to cry if we lose him for nothing.

I'd be doing cartwheels in the aisles if we got anything near the return some are touting in here. :P No GM in their right mind is going to step up give us a Halak type return for either or both of our guys. A toss in as part of a bigger deal is the best we can hope for in the trade route IMO.

I'm betting they will give us a Halak type return for Tokarski in about a year but I know I'm alone on that. Time will tell...

I'm betting they will give us a Halak type return for Tokarski in about a year but I know I'm alone on that. Time will tell...

Anything is possible.

He was great for us but the sample size was way too small to anoint him the second coming of Halak. He let in some soft goals along with those spectacular saves. Give teams a chance to put together a book on Toks and i suspect we'll quickly see his weaknesses exploited. Regardless,,,,i don't see him getting much of a chance to increase his worth playing behind Price unless an injury sidelines Carey.

I get the feeling that he won't, but that's a gut feeling just like yours, so I'm not going to say your prediction is totally outlandish. The only problem is that Halak actually had a pretty substancial sample size when we traded him, whereas I don't Tokarski will be given the opportunity to play as many games, which automatically decreases his value.

I get the feeling that he won't, but that's a gut feeling just like yours, so I'm not going to say your prediction is totally outlandish. The only problem is that Halak actually had a pretty substancial sample size when we traded him, whereas I don't Tokarski will be given the opportunity to play as many games, which automatically decreases his value.

Anything is possible.

He was great for us but the sample size was way too small to anoint him the second coming of Halak. He let in some soft goals along with those spectacular saves. Give teams a chance to put together a book on Toks and i suspect we'll quickly see his weaknesses exploited. Regardless,,,,i don't see him getting much of a chance to increase his worth playing behind Price unless an injury sidelines Carey.

you're both right about sample size but I think if he plays well they might give him more games with an eye towards showcasing him

I voted for Tokarski alone. I think the other moves will likely wait until after the start of the season, but I think MB will try to move a goalie before puck drop, so as not to lose a roster spot... I think ultimately, the team will ride with the veteran (Budaj) rather than turning over to a lesser known commodity, even though I'm not certain that's the right decision. Budaj's been a solid teammate here so I think that will be taken into consideration though.

Archived