The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Enforcer, Or Not?

kinot-1

We're about to enter another season, and IMO, we have pretty much set our team except for one small detail. Like it or lump it, an "enforcer" of some kind is needed. Prust, although more than willing, cannot possibly carry the load, and Moen is (IMO) slowing down in that department, and White is gone, so that leaves a vacuum, in even the middleweight class. We have no-one in the heavyweight class. We need someone who can actually play 8-12 mins., without doing anything dumb.

Here's my solution, and it's 2-fold. Enter Jarred Tinordi at 6'6, and 227#. He can play penalty-kill mins. and he can play reduced mins. 5 on 5, he has good common sense, and he has not lost a fight in the NHL (3 wins and 1 draw, small sample I know). He reminds me of Hal Gill in his prime. A good stay at home D-man.

I feel he deserves a chance at a regular spot, or at the very least when we play against our prime rivals.

Thoughts?

Well do the Habs require a heavy weight enforcer is the question ?

All I can say is that until the NHL abolishes the instigator rule,yah right lmao there is & will always be room for an enforcer, heavy weight enforcer that is .

Habs management cannot even ponder the thought of losing one of our star players to one of the many cheap shot artists that exists in todays game.

I for one say that Marc Bergevin should go out & bring in an enforcer/player that yes in-deed answers the ringing of the bell if & when the time or moment arises.

Jarrod Tinordi is one player that you mentioned in your excerpt & well yes Tinordi is & has the ability too answer such a challenge & is ready in my opinion for a spot up on the big team.

I think Marc Bergevin & staff feel the same way & Tinordi will @ some time & point get his call up to the Habs hope-fully @ the start of regular season play.

Tinordi is big mean & tough & plays the way his dad did as my memory has not failed me lol.

Under the MB reign the Habs have went too increasing size,toughness & accountability not to forget the way of the draft in which to do so,so very important in acquiring talent to build a dynasty.

All I can say is have faith Habs fans & we shall share in the raising of the ultimate prize the Stanley Cup.

Guest habs1952

We're about to enter another season, and IMO, we have pretty much set our team except for one small detail. Like it or lump it, an "enforcer" of some kind is needed. Prust, although more than willing, cannot possibly carry the load, and Moen is (IMO) slowing down in that department, and White is gone, so that leaves a vacuum, in even the middleweight class. We have no-one in the heavyweight class. We need someone who can actually play 8-12 mins., without doing anything dumb.

Here's my solution, and it's 2-fold. Enter Jarred Tinordi at 6'6, and 227#. He can play penalty-kill mins. and he can play reduced mins. 5 on 5, he has good common sense, and he has not lost a fight in the NHL (3 wins and 1 draw, small sample I know). He reminds me of Hal Gill in his prime. A good stay at home D-man.

I feel he deserves a chance at a regular spot, or at the very least when we play against our prime rivals.

Thoughts?

I'd rather have a James Van Riemsdyk type player. Someone who goes to the front of the net and is very difficult to move out.

There isn't a need for a pure enforcer. We've seen how miserably Laraque and Parros failed here: neither one could stay in the line-up and when they did, they were liabilities that spent most of the night on the bench. Tinordi's a big guy, but his value isn't really in fighting and in any case, you want to try and avoid having a D man sitting in the box for majors or misconducts. It really puts a strain on the remaining defencemen and forces you to jumble pairings. The best-case scenario is to find a guy who can play hockey but also scrap on occasion when needed. In that regard, I would much rather have a Prust in my line-up than a true enforcer. If we can get our hands on a player with skill who can also fight and hit, then by all means, but I'm not going out of my way to include an enforcer in the line-up.

Yeah, let's get a goon. Ivanans clearly wasn't a real goon anymore after those injuries, let's get a good one like Aaron Downey.

Yeah, let's get a goon. Downey clearly wasn't a real goon anymore after those injuries, let's get a good one like Georges Laraque.

Yeah, let's get a goon. Laraque clearly wasn't a real goon anymore after those injuries, let's get a good one like Travis Moen.

Yeah, let's get a goon. Moen clearly isn't a real goon anymore after those injuries, let's get a good one like Brandon Prust.

Yeah, let's get a goon. Prust clearly isn't a real goon anymore after those injuries, let's get a good one like George Parros.

Yeah, let's get a goon. Parros clearly wasn't a real goon anymore after those injuries, let's get a good one!

Enough. It's always the same story over and over again.

Yeah, let's get a goon. Ivanans clearly wasn't a real goon anymore after those injuries, let's get a good one like Aaron Downey.

Yeah, let's get a goon. Downey clearly wasn't a real goon anymore after those injuries, let's get a good one like Georges Laraque.

Yeah, let's get a goon. Laraque clearly wasn't a real goon anymore after those injuries, let's get a good one like Travis Moen.

Yeah, let's get a goon. Moen clearly isn't a real goon anymore after those injuries, let's get a good one like Brandon Prust.

Yeah, let's get a goon. Prust clearly isn't a real goon anymore after those injuries, let's get a good one like George Parros.

Yeah, let's get a goon. Parros clearly wasn't a real goon anymore after those injuries, let's get a good one!

Totally agree just a waste of space,what comes round goes round,those cheap shot guys will get theirs without us wasting space and talent and I wish everybody would stop trying to make Tinordi fight,he doesn't want to he said this in his first ever interview on the day he was drafted,I know he has but thats because he is expected to not because he wants too.

Fighting should be banned anyway.

GO HABS GO Make love not war :wub::wub: :wub: :wub::wub:

Dont see the point.

Why have a guy taking a spot from a better player (Bournival) only to play 5 mins a night chasing the puck around the ice? Thats 5 minutes on the ice where he is a liability and when he's not on the ice we're either down to 11 forwards or on the PK. I really think these types of players are slowly fading in the NHL. When these types of players fight eachother in stupid staged fights, how does it help anyone? We can neutralize other teams goons by simply NOT FIGHTING THEM. We need to be the ones to take advantage of THEIR liability or use of 11 forwards. Even Boston moved on from Thornton. You know management isnt going to want Lucic or Chara to fight much. Orr will see less and less icetime in T.O, especially once Carlyle gets fired. Kassian rarely plays for the sens. Its a dying breed.

|Im pro fighting in hockey. But not stupid goon-on-goon, staged fights. What does that accomplish? I'd take players like Prust, Weise, Moen, Tinordi, White and day over Parros, Laraque, etc.

Big NOOOOOO to the above question :P

Like I said in my original post "We need someone who can actually play 8-12 mins., without doing anything dumb." I don't want a John Scott, Orr, Fraser or anyone else fitting that mold. I do feel, however, that we do need someone, who can actually contribute, either on the PK, checking line, or by hits, and also have our players backs. I do not want our players going out on the ice, only to line-up across from the other teams tough guys who may want to start something.

I think it's more important to have team toughness then a tough guy. We've slowly trended that way with the Prust's and Weise type players, and i expect Tinordi to give us a little more toughness in the back end. Wouldn't hurt to add a little more but not at the expense of a big drop off in skill. No more of the 3 shift a game players please.

The most modest guy in the world can have no humility and vice versa, and we are the Habs, so my answer is no enforcer.

However, running over Carey should mean more than it has in the past, but it won't as far as I can guess. :(

I think it's more important to have team toughness then a tough guy. We've slowly trended that way with the Prust's and Weise type players, and i expect Tinordi to give us a little more toughness in the back end. Wouldn't hurt to add a little more but not at the expense of a big drop off in skill. No more of the 3 shift a game players please.

IMO the above 2 quotes are all that needs to be said on the topic.

Pointless, if the team's recent history of employing enforcers is of any reference. Habs gameplay has changed since the 1990s.

Management also has poor judgement in picking effective enforcers. It's a joke throughout the league when we say Brandon Prust is our unofficial enforcer. Is that the best we can come up with?

If the team wanted a credible enforcer, it would've picked up Shawn Thornton when he was available. They let him pass so it's fair to say management has abandoned the enforcer policy.

No doubt that he's valuable to the team, but what happens after he is injured? :mellow:

That's the point, these guys are always getting injured. By the time a fighter has made a name for himself he's already declining from the physical toll the fighting takes.

It's a catch 22. Guys that can hit, fight, and play like Prust or Neil are good enough players that you don't want them fighting and getting hurt/sitting for 5 minutes all the time. True goons like Orr, Parros, etc. are so bad that you don't want them in the lineup and they hamstring your team by playing in the first place. The only winning move is not to play.

If you look at the teams that have been at the top , Black hawks/ Kings , these are teams that are built with depth that can play 4 lines. This is what you need to play into long series and playoff runs along with depth through the up and downs of a long season. Team toughness and having 4 lines that can play is what todays champions need. We do not need an enforcer anymore. The league is moving away from this anyway. We have a team with some depth now and youngs guys actually trying to make the line up. I would hate to see guys with talent not make the team over "an enforcer". Let the other team take the penalty and we'll take the power play!

Agreed. We can rag on Moen and Prust but compared to say, Laraque and Parros they are /were more vaulable to us when we brought them in then the guys that came just to fight. Even a guy like Steve Begin had some value. Kill off penaltys and fight if needed.

We need more of this on our team. After a while the other teams will start to back off and not try anything cute when they enter our zone.( yes i found another reason to to post Larry Robinsons check. Big whoop want to fight about it? :) )

In my upcoming book if I ever get around to it I will expound the theory that the First Nations had no idea they could survive on this continent; that human sacrifice in Mexico was just an offshoot of that depression; that the Vikings being here first was just out of berserkedness so what we are really doing as the Habs is creating a civilization out of Boston because they are not ready to be human. The book is destined to flop but I don't care as long as some persons are willing to shoulder the burden,

However the recent calls, especially the call on Tinordi makes one wonder if its even worth it to try. At least I know we ARE civilized. Its nice to have such a constituency as the Habs and the fans who we are EVEN if we do decide we are tired of being "sprayed by skunks."

My two cents.

I'd like to punch someone in the face myself, is the upshot, even though I seem to be blessed with second vision from time to time.

Well,,,what's everyone think now? 2 of our 3 best players, were taken off the ice for 5 mins. at the same time by a scrub and a thug. Is this the way it's going to go throughout the season? If Tinordi, or Prust (if he were playing), went after Ryan or Karlsson, what do you think would happen? We all know that the ruins, laffs, and sens, are our biggest rivals, so they just have to intimidate our players, with no fear of retribution.

I hope MB took notes.

Archived