The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

New Rule Changes

HabsRuleForever

The National Hockey League announced on Thursday a list of rule changes that will be enforced during the upcoming 2014-15 season. The changes were agreed upon and ratified by the NHL Board of Governors over the summer.

Among the changes is the elimination of the "spin-o-rama"-style shot in both the shootout and on penalty shots. That type of shot had been the source of contention since the advent of the shootout, but up until now, was permitted.

The goaltender's restricted area will also be expanded with the trapezoid now extending an additional two feet on both sides of the post.

Video review will be greater utilized when it comes to goals. Hockey Operations will now have a broader say in whether or not a goal is "good" and will now have the ability to provide guidance to on-ice officials in situations where a referee has blown a whistle upon losing sight of the puck. More demonstrable evidence of "distinct kicking motions" will now be required to overrule a goal on the ice or uphold a "no goal" call.

Diving will once again be in the spotlight in an attempt to curb it, including more sever punishment for repeat offenders and their teams. Fines will be assessed to both players and coaches on a scale starting with a warning for a first offence up to a $5000 fine for a player or team's eighth.

If a play dives to stop an apparent breakaway attempt by an opposing player and makes contact with the puck prior to doing so with the player, a penalty shot will no longer be awarded. The defending player will receive a two-minute tripping penalty.

Teams will switch ends at the start of overtime and the entire ice will undergo a "dry scrape" prior to the extra period beginning throughout the regular season.

In the shootout, coaches will no longer be required to submit a list of the three players chosen to shoot for their teams.

During a face-off following an icing, if the defending player taking the draw attempts to stall, he will receive a warning, but remain in the circle. If he again stalls, his team will be assessed a two-minute bench minor.

The most comprehensive change will be on the puck going out of bounds in offensive situations. No longer will teams on the attack be penalized if the puck goes out of bounds during a bona fide scoring chance and stops play. In the event of an offensive shot breaking the glass, going off the side of the net and out of play, going off the dasher boards or glass and out, getting wedged in the mesh of the net or getting deflected by a teammate, the ensuing face-off will remain in the offensive zone.

One final change has been approved for the preseason and will be readdressed following the exhibition schedule: Hash marks around the dots in the end zone will be moved to match the international game. Currently, they are three feet apart, but will move to five feet, seven inches apart.

• 1 month later...

League and / or the refs still need to figure out how their the icing face-off rule applies.

Against Tampa, Therrien had Gallagher (the RW) taking all face-offs in the right dot, Desharnais (the C) taking the left dot ones. Gallagher had already taken about 3 face-offs when the Habs iced the puck with that line on (with Patches). The icing face-off was to right of Price but the linesman wouldn't let Gallagher take it. Huh?!?

The rule, or certainly the intent of the rule is anyone can take the face-off, but they are not getting tossed allowing someone else to come in, all designed to waste time and earn some rest following the icing. The face-off man gets a 2-minute penalty if they 'false start' twice, whoever the face-off man is.

Seems pretty simple to me. Linesmen shouldn't concern themselves who the 'centreman' is. Whoever steps up is the face-off man. Heck, let Markie take the face-off.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I can put this here, because the NHL will probably do the same thing. By now most of us have either seen the vid, or at least heard about David Leggio knocking the net off the moorings when there was a 2 on 0 coming at him.

Leggio’s had violated AHL Rule 63.5. But the next time he attempts to knock off his own net when facing an odd-man rush he’ll see a bigger punishment than just having to save a penalty shot.
According to Darren Dreger, the AHL has tweaked the rule so that goaltenders will now be given a game misconduct if they try and pull a Leggio. A penalty shot will still be awarded, with the team captain given the power to select any of the players on the ice to take it against the new goaltender.

• 4 months later...

How does everybody feel about the 3 on 3 being discussed for next year in O.T.??

I'm curious to see it myself.

Here's the problem with that, as I see it. Right now, a team cannot have fewer than 3 players on the ice, due to penalties. What happens if a team commits a foul when they are playing 3 on 3? Will they be playing 3 on 2, or possibly a penalty shot in lieu of the penalty. I don't know how it's working in the AHL, but I am sure there must have been a penalty or 2 when playing 3 on 3. From what I have read, it's reduced the number of shoot-outs in the AHL tho.

Here's the problem with that, as I see it. Right now, a team cannot have fewer than 3 players on the ice, due to penalties. What happens if a team commits a foul when they are playing 3 on 3? Will they be playing 3 on 2, or possibly a penalty shot in lieu of the penalty. I don't know how it's working in the AHL, but I am sure there must have been a penalty or 2 when playing 3 on 3. From what I have read, it's reduced the number of shoot-outs in the AHL tho.

Good point. Not sure how that would work. Maybe the other team gets to add a player and make it a 4 on 3?

Good point. Not sure how that would work. Maybe the other team gets to add a player and make it a 4 on 3?

That would create another problem tho. Let's say, like you say, that another player is added to make it 4 on 3. The penalty time ticks down as the play goes on, and suddenly the penalty is over. Does the 4th player scramble to the bench so as not to be called for too many men? :P:lol:

That would create another problem tho. Let's say, like you say, that another player is added to make it 4 on 3. The penalty time ticks down as the play goes on, and suddenly the penalty is over. Does the 4th player scramble to the bench so as not to be called for too many men? :P:lol:

4 on 4 until the next whistle?

4 on 4 until the next whistle?

Then you're defeating the purpose of 3 on 3. :P ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or,,,, the ref could blow the whistle to stop play, but then a scoring chance could be in progress, and that wouldn't be good either.

What else ya got, htl? :D

Then you're defeating the purpose of 3 on 3. :P ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or,,,, the ref could blow the whistle to stop play, but then a scoring chance could be in progress, and that wouldn't be good either.

What else ya got, htl? :D

Hell,,,,,,change the rule,,,,,3 on 2. :lol:

Guest habs1952

How does everybody feel about the 3 on 3 being discussed for next year in O.T.??

I'm curious to see it myself.

Instead of maintaining the integrity of the game the NHL is turning it into a circus. 3 on 3 sucks! What's next, every goal a team scores in the shootout is worth an extra point in the standings?

I hope the GMs are reading these posts. :lol:

Maybe I shouldn't give them any ideas.

The GMs will recommend to the NHL-NHLPA Competition Committee that the player who is on the defensive side of the red line must be the first to place his stick on the ice before the puck is dropped. In doing so, that player is at a slight disadvantage to the attacking player, who can put his stick down later.

The current rule (76.4) requires the player on the visiting team to put his stick down first in all zones, including at the center-ice faceoff dot. The visiting player still would be required to put his stick down first on faceoffs taken at center ice, according to the recommendation. But in all other faceoffs the player closest to his own goalie would have to declare first.

<_<

Guest habs1952
The GMs will recommend to the NHL-NHLPA Competition Committee that the player who is on the defensive side of the red line must be the first to place his stick on the ice before the puck is dropped. In doing so, that player is at a slight disadvantage to the attacking player, who can put his stick down later.
The current rule (76.4) requires the player on the visiting team to put his stick down first in all zones, including at the center-ice faceoff dot. The visiting player still would be required to put his stick down first on faceoffs taken at center ice, according to the recommendation. But in all other faceoffs the player closest to his own goalie would have to declare first.
<_<

Meh....players cheat on every faceoff now and nothing is done about it.

• 3 months later...

3 on 3 overtime next season..

So, if a team gets a penalty in OT,,, do they play 3 on 2?

The BOG are also being asked to vote on a coach's challenge, which will see those men able to contest offside and goaltender interference plays on goals subject to video review, and a tweak to the face off rule.

• 3 months later...
A coach will be able to challenge goal calls on the ice ONLY in the event he considers the scoring play was initiated by an offside zone entry OR if he believes there was goalie interference on the play.

To use its coach’s challenge, the challenging team must still have its timeout. If a coach loses the challenge, it forfeits the timeout.

Archived