safe_image_zpsc7798744.png

THE CHICAGO BLACK

hawks.jpg

COME TO TOWN FOR A DATE WITH

canadiens1.gif

7:30 PM RDS, SNE, TSN Radio 690

COURTESY OF PAT HICKEY, MONTRAL GAZETTE:

Hungry teams:

Both teams need a win in this Original Six showdown. The Canadiens are coming off an embarrassing 6-2 loss to the Calgary Flames Sunday night at the Bell Centre. The Canadiens had yet another slow start — they have surrendered the first goal in 10 of their 12 games this season — and they were unable to fashion one of their dramatic comebacks. The Canadiens are 8-3-1 on the season, but 1-2-1 in their last four games. But the Canadiens are in a better position than the Blackhawks, who have a 6-5-1 record and are currently out of a playoff position in the Western Conference. The Blackhawks have lost two in a row and five of their last seven.

Changing up on D:

If the alignment at Monday morning’s practice in Brossard is any indication, Michaėl Bournival will continue to be a permanent resident in the press box for the Canadiens and Alex Galchenyuk is back to being a full-time left-winger. But coach Michel Therrien did make some changes on defence. He loaded up the No. 1 pair with Andrei Markov and P.K. Subban, while Tom Gilbert was paired with Alexei Emelin. Therrien noted that Subban and Markov have played well together in the past, but the coach wouldn’t speculate on how long the two would be together.

Work comes first: After a 6-2 loss to Calgary Sunday night, there might have been a temptation for Therrien to skate his players into the ice Monday morning. But with back-to-back games coming up — the Canadiens are in Buffalo Wednesday night — the emphasis was on individual battles and getting back to basics.

Firing blanks in Chicago:

You would expect the Blackhawks to be a high-scoring team with Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp in the lineup, but Chicago has had trouble putting the puck in the net. The Blackhawks scored 15 of their 29 goals in three games against Buffalo, Philadelphia and Ottawa. In their other nine games, they have been shut out twice and have scored 14 goals for an average of 1.55 goals a game.

Return of the native:

Blackhawks goaltender Corey Crawford, who grew up in Châteauguay, is healthy after missing six games with an upper-body injury. He’s 0-2 since his return, but gave up only three goals in those games and is among the league leaders with a 1.73 goals-against average and a .925 save percentage. Crawford is 2-0 in four lifetime appearances against the Canadiens.

We’re No. 2:

For the first time since opening night, the Canadiens aren’t in first place in the Atlantic Division. The Canadiens and Tampa Bay Lightning each have 17 points from 12 games, but the Lightning has the edge because it has eight regulation plus overtime wins, while the Canadiens have five. The Lightning also has a wide edge in goal differential at plus-10 to minus-4 for Montreal.

Therrien added that he might consider making some lineup changes for Tuesday’s game, meaning Jiri Sekac and Michael Bournival could get into the lineup after being healthy scratches.

Here’s how all the lines and defence pairings looked at practice Monday:

Max Pacioretty-David Desharnais-Dale Weise
Alex Galchenyuk-Tomas Plekanec-Brendan Gallagher
Rene Bourque-Lars Eller-P.A. Parenteau
Brandon Prust-Manny Malhotra-Travis Moen
Michael Bournival-Jiri Sekac

Andrei Markov-P.K. Subban
Alexei Emelin-Tom Gilbert
Nathan Beaulieu-Mike Weaver
Jarred Tinordi

Carey Price-Dustin Tokarski

kinot-1's GDT record 3-1-1

Lines as per John Lu:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Weise

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher

Bourque - Eller - Parenteau

Bournival - Malhotra - Prust

I'm happy to see Bournival in, but I still don't love the look of that top line. The third one hasn't been able to come together at all, either.

Lines as per John Lu:

I'm happy to see Bournival in, but I still don't love the look of that top line. The third one hasn't been able to come together at all, either.

Flip Weise with Bournival and I'd be happy

Lines as per John Lu:

Agreed. Something like this (assuming we absolutely cant convince MT to break up DD/Patches) would look a lot better imho:

Pacioretty - DD - Parenteau

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Sekac

Bournival - Eller - Gallagher

Bourque - Malholtra - Weise

The RW could change but I think Gallagher/Eller has always worked well, Parenteau would benefit from DD's vision and Sekac - showed good promise with Plekanec.

MT is 51 today. I wonder if the boys will play better to get him a win?

Blackhawks have not won in Montreal since Dec. 3, 2001 (0-3-3).

PK and Markov are back together.

MONTRÉAL
Record: 8-3-1 5 ROW 17 pts (.708)(2nd ATL)
G/G: 2.33 (24th)
GA/G: 2.92 (20th)
PP%: 9.1% (27th)
PK%: 86.3% (8th)
5-5 F/A: 0.92 (21th)
CHICAGO
Record: 6-5-1 4 ROW 13 pts (.542)(5th CEN)
G/G: 2.25 (26th)
GA/G: 1.92 (5th)
PP%: 18.4% (17th)
PK%: 91.9% (3rd)
5-5 F/A: 0.94 (20th)

Guest habs1952

Lines as per John Lu:

Why waste talent on the first line when it seems DD only looks to feed the puck to Patches? :ph34r:

Archived