The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Tue, 18 Nov 2014 Penguins @ Canadiens 7:30 PM RDS Sportsnet East ROOT Sports Pittsburgh

habs_93

Qs0KKjk.jpg

PENGUINS (12-3-1) at CANADIENS (14-4-1)
TV: RDS, Sportsnet East, ROOT Sports Pittsburgh
Season series: Tuesday night will be the first time the Pittsburgh Penguins and Montreal Canadiens, the two division leaders in the Eastern Conference, meet this season. Montreal won two of three against Pittsburgh in 2013-14, winning the season series with a 6-5 shootout victory on Feb. 27 after the Canadiens and Penguins had split their two previous meetings.

Penguins team scope: Following a 3-2 shootout victory against the New York Rangers on Saturday night, Pittsburgh comes into Tuesday not just in first place, but winner of nine of its last 10 games. The Penguins will be shorthanded up front Tuesday night, as Pascal Dupuis, who did not practice on Monday, will not be making the trip to Montreal. The Penguins may get a big piece back on the blue line, however, as defenseman Olli Maatta will be a game-time decision and could play his first game since having a cancerous tumor on his thyroid removed just two weeks ago. "Mentally for sure, I want to get out there," Maatta said on Tuesday. "It's been a couple weeks since I've played, so yeah, I'm hungry there. But I've got to still take it easy, not rush it. But we'll see tomorrow." The original prognosis for Maatta, who underwent the procedure on Nov. 4, was to miss four weeks.

Canadiens team scope: Despite Pittsburgh's recent surge, Montreal might be the hottest team in the NHL of late. The Canadiens have won six in a row, their first such stretch since March 2010, and as a result have jumped to the top of the League standings. Those wins haven't been of the close variety either. Over a recent four-game homestand, Montreal outscored its opponents by a combined 18-5 margin before beating up the Detroit Red Wings, 4-1, on the road in its most-recent game on Sunday night. In addition to flexing their offensive muscle, the Canadiens are proving to be durable, as their six-game winning streak has happened over a span of just 12 days. "We were playing our fourth game in six days, back-to-back and playing a Detroit Red Wings team that's a good team that plays with good structure," coach Michel Therrien said on Sunday. "We could have had a lot of excuses, but the guys didn't take any excuses."

Hey 93,, been waiting for ya. Thanks for the GDT. #waitinginthewings :)

Cros is goalless in 8 GP. Gotta keep that streak alive.

The Pitts are the favs at 60/40. Gotta prove that one wrong (who makes these odds anyway?)

Habs had the day off on Mon. Hopefully they're recharged and FOCUSED for the big game.

Refs for today are ( drum roll please) DRUMMER.gif , ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Tim Peel and Kyle somebody or other.

Rehman is the other, most likely. Not that it particularly matters considering his partner. Well, a six game winning streak was nice. Seven would've been pushing it, I guess.

RDS thinks Maatta is playing tonight.

Mike Weaver is out with an injury. Not sure if it's upper or lower body.

Upper.

Bowman draws in... still unclear to me if he's the best option we could have drawn from Hamilton, wasn't overly impressed with his first game but we'll give him a bit more time to draw conclusions. Hoping Bournival can draw back in to the line-up soon.

Tampa, Detroit, and Boson all leading their games early... it's looking like we might need a win to keep pace tonight.

Archived