The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Bryan Allen

ColRouleBleu

This acquisition appears to make Murray a a little smallish and has had a letter on his jersey. He was picked a little higher too, but Anaheim appears to have a wealth of defensemen at this point. Nothing like a start against the Bruins to get your career going as a Habs. I hope he works out as we are a little smallish after Emelin and Subban.

Your team is only as good as your weakest link...Bourque was definitely one of ours...We made that link harder to break with this trade...You judge a trade by who got the better player in the deal...We definitely got the better player.

I'm not sure of that... Bourque wasn't very consistent but his effort this year was good and he was getting chances. We're forging on without him, but I think he still has something to give if he's used in a top 6 role. Maybe he gets that chance in Anaheim. The Ducks were using Allen as a #6-7 guy and I'm not sure they'll miss him that much. We won the salary cap trade-off, no doubt, but I don't believe we got the best player in the deal.

I'm not sure of that... Bourque wasn't very consistent but his effort this year was good and he was getting chances. We're forging on without him, but I think he still has something to give if he's used in a top 6 role. Maybe he gets that chance in Anaheim. The Ducks were using Allen as a #6-7 guy and I'm not sure they'll miss him that much. We won the salary cap trade-off, no doubt, but I don't believe we got the best player in the deal.

21 goals in 141 career games as a Hab does not scream top 6 role to me...Saying if he had been used in a top 6 role, is like me saying: If I didn't have cerebral palsy and grew a foot during puberty, I could have totally been an NHL calbre forward...

He's had 4 seasons to put it all together...The only thing that stopped Rene Bourque was Rene Bourque...He had plenty of oppourtunities in the top 6.

Can Allen be as good as or better for the Habs than Hal Gill was? Is he a better skater, tougher, more skilled and have the hockey smarts to go along with his experience?

According to tsn.ca:

Scouting Report
Assets Possesses size and strength in spades, as well as better-than-average mobility when opposed against speedy forwards. Can play a shutdown role. Flaws Injuries have hindered his performance. Also, his offensive ability is limited, since he hasn't put up big numbers at any level. Is less effective with huge minutes. Career potential Physical defensive defenseman

21 goals in 141 career games as a Hab does not scream top 6 role to me...Saying if he had been used in a top 6 role, is like me saying: If I didn't have cerebral palsy and grew a foot during puberty, I could have totally been an NHL calbre forward...

He's had 4 seasons to put it all together...The only thing that stopped Rene Bourque was Rene Bourque...He had plenty of oppourtunities in the top 6.

I never said Bourque played like a top 6 forward, just that I believe he could still be useful if he was allowed to play in a top 6 role in Anaheim. I recognize Bourque has not been very consistent, and I definitely took issue with his work ethic the first year and a bit that he was here. But he was gold in the playoffs last year and despite not scoring this season, he was trying and he was putting himself in scoring positions. He hit a bunch of posts, he had a few near misses or great saves against him... point being, he really wasn't that far off from putting up a respectable point total. Considering he spent most of the past two seasons on the third line with little to no PP time, you simply can't expect him to be a 20-30 goal scorer. For a 3rd line player, 12-15 goals is a fairly respectable season. I still believe Bourque could score 20+ if he were given PP time and got to play bigger minutes and I still believe he's a better player straight up than Bryan Allen.

I never said Bourque played like a top 6 forward, just that I believe he could still be useful if he was allowed to play in a top 6 role in Anaheim. I recognize Bourque has not been very consistent, and I definitely took issue with his work ethic the first year and a bit that he was here. But he was gold in the playoffs last year and despite not scoring this season, he was trying and he was putting himself in scoring positions. He hit a bunch of posts, he had a few near misses or great saves against him... point being, he really wasn't that far off from putting up a respectable point total. Considering he spent most of the past two seasons on the third line with little to no PP time, you simply can't expect him to be a 20-30 goal scorer. For a 3rd line player, 12-15 goals is a fairly respectable season. I still believe Bourque could score 20+ if he were given PP time and got to play bigger minutes and I still believe he's a better player straight up than Bryan Allen.

I'm definitely not expecting him to be a 20-30 goal scorer...Those days are definitely behind him...But he never once hit double digits in the goal column anytime as a Hab...The proof in what he means to this team is in the fact that they've been playing better without him.

As far as Bryan Allen goes, he's a solid depth move, with no commitment the following year...I still believe we came out on top in this deal, as I believe Allen to be the better of the 2 players.

I'm definitely not expecting him to be a 20-30 goal scorer...Those days are definitely behind him...But he never once hit double digits in the goal column anytime as a Hab...The proof in what he means to this team is in the fact that they've been playing better without him.

As far as Bryan Allen goes, he's a solid depth move, with no commitment the following year...I still believe we came out on top in this deal, as I believe Allen to be the better of the 2 players.

A couple of important caveats to what you said though:

1. Bourque never played more than 63 games in a single season with the Habs. In that year, he scored 9 goals, so he would have hit double digits in a full 82 games. In the lockout year, he put up 7 goals in 27 games, which again, over a full year is over 20 goals. And in his first year here, he split it between us and Calgary and had 18 total goals in 76 games. That's essentially a 20-goal year if he's healthy yet again.

2. We had pretty good results with Bourque as well. And a big change with Bourque out was that the coach actually played Sekac, which has made a huge difference. That may have more to do with it rather than Bourque coming out.

My biggest beef with RB is bang for buck...3.3 is a huge # for a power forward that isn't producing...Ridding yourself of his contract, with the future cap uncertainty of next season is a good thing, not a bad one...Allen is $3.5 mil we can walk away from with Galchenyuk and Gallagher to resign next season.

On that I agree. I think most people feel we won the trade on a cap level. Overall, I think we won the trade because of that. But I wouldn't go so far as to say we got the better player in the deal. If there was no cap and the salaries/terms were the same, I'd rather have Bourque on my squad than Allen. Maybe that sentiment will change once Allen settles in and maybe he'll be better than Murray or Gill, bit I don't have confidence in big, slow defencemen right now and I don't have confidence in Michel Therrien's ability to deploy them properly, especially when it puts Beaulieu's usage in jeopardy (and now, apparently Gilbert's as well). How any coach can select Weaver and Allen over Gilbert and Beaulieu is beyond me.

Can't wait to see how he looks.

Coming from the west and being a bottom pairing guy, I don't know much about him.

A bit of depth for our blueline. We do have some old legs, who may appreciate the odd night off. Especially those who block shots regularly.

Still think we'll see the you guns get icetime, but wonder if they're trying to avoid having 2 you guns playing at the same time.

Could be someone Tinordi could learn from, similar frames apparently.

Not sure why Tinordi's in Hamilton, unless it was to boost his confidence. According to sources, he's played solidly in Hamilton. Regardless, we haven't seen the last of Tinordi, but that's a topic for his thread.

On that I agree. I think most people feel we won the trade on a cap level. Overall, I think we won the trade because of that. But I wouldn't go so far as to say we got the better player in the deal. If there was no cap and the salaries/terms were the same, I'd rather have Bourque on my squad than Allen. Maybe that sentiment will change once Allen settles in and maybe he'll be better than Murray or Gill, bit I don't have confidence in big, slow defencemen right now and I don't have confidence in Michel Therrien's ability to deploy them properly, especially when it puts Beaulieu's usage in jeopardy (and now, apparently Gilbert's as well). How any coach can select Weaver and Allen over Gilbert and Beaulieu is beyond me.

Believe me when I say i wanted nothing more than to see Bourque find his game in MTL...I was always hoping he'd at least notch 20...but with so much young talent waiting for a shot, you have to cut your losses at some point

Believe me when I say i wanted nothing more than to see Bourque find his game in MTL...I was always hoping he'd at least notch 20...but with so much young talent waiting for a shot, you have to cut your losses at some point

Yup, and given the contract, I don't have a problem moving on from him. The only downside to the trade is seeing the Habs suppress Tinordi and Beaulieu in favor of past-their-prime vets. We went through this last year...

Hard to judge after one game. Fairest comment is he passed the baptism of fire :P. He didn't make big mistakes, but neither did he create great plays from the blue line.

Hopefully, his size did its part to deter gratuitous gooning by the Bruins. For this one-time game alone, it's important :lol:.

Well he did cough up the puck a couple times, that we were fortunate didn't cost us, but that can be expected i guess. We'll see.

Hard to judge after one game. Fairest comment is he passed the baptism of fire :P. He didn't make big mistakes, but neither did he create great plays from the blue line.

Hopefully, his size did its part to deter gratuitous gooning by the Bruins. For this one-time game alone, it's important :lol:.

Corsi tonight was 29%. Far from being the only D man to get torched, but I found he, Weaver, and Gilbert were all pinned in the D zone quite a bit. Not much offence created with Allen on the ice.

I'm with MB on this ... you can almost not have too many reliable defensemen. There's going to be injuries.

In the Habs situation, the team was a couple of injuries (Chara + McQuaid, for Boston, for example) away from dressing:

• Subban-Gilbert
  • Weaver-Beaulieu
  • Tinordi-Pateryn

YIKES !!

(Not any more, with Gonchar + Allen on board. Smart.)

I still believe Bourque could score 20+ if he were given PP time and got to play bigger minutes and I still believe he's a better player straight up than Bryan Allen.

Bingo!! :) But all talk is futile now. The trade is done and it's time to move on without Rene Bourque ^_^ . We can only hope for the best in Allen that he doesn't turn out to be a lemon.

As much as I was his champion while he played for this club, the next both teams meet on the ice, Rene Bourque will be an opponent and I'll treat him as such B) . I don't wish to mention him anymore.

Archived