The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

NHL All Star Week-End

Woodenhhead

Surprised there wasn't any sort of topic on this yet.

I just now finally got around to voting for the All Stars; took a look at the leaderboard when I was finished, and it looks like we may have a few guys crack the lineup! :lol:

Price is currently ranked the top Eastern goalie (Crawford is 1st overall)

Subban is top D man in the East, with Markov currently 4th

Patches is 4th ranked East forward right now; Plekanec is 7th; Galchenyuk is a bit of a long shot at 14th, but still impressive for the kid

https://allstarvote.nhl.com/en-us/LeaderBoard

The entire nation of Latvia is voting like crazy for the current leader, Zemgus Girgensons - haha fun to see!

Don't forget to vote, and remember you can submit 8 ballots per day!

Surprised there wasn't any sort of topic on this yet.

I just now finally got around to voting for the All Stars; took a look at the leaderboard when I was finished, and it looks like we may have a few guys crack the lineup! :lol:

Price is currently ranked the top Eastern goalie (Crawford is 1st overall)

Subban is top D man in the East, with Markov currently 4th

Patches is 4th ranked East forward right now; Plekanec is 7th; Galchenyuk is a bit of a long shot at 14th, but still impressive for the kid

https://allstarvote.nhl.com/en-us/LeaderBoard

The entire nation of Latvia is voting like crazy for the current leader, Zemgus Girgensons - haha fun to see!

Don't forget to vote, and remember you can submit 8 ballots per day!

Imho Subban and Price will be locks. Markov & Patches are long shots but still possible. I dont see Pleks or Galchenyuk making the cut.

You know, I don't even remember exactly how the teams are chosen these days. I know there's more than fan votes alone, there's gotta be...

I believe (I may be wrong tho) that the fans choose the starting line-ups, and the rest are filled in by the coaches/management.

I believe (I may be wrong tho) that the fans choose the starting line-ups, and the rest are filled in by the coaches/management.

Yeah, it seems to change from year to year but usually the constant is that the fans pick the starting lineup and then the rest are picked by the group. They generally try to get at least 1 player per team.

• 4 weeks later...

Remainder of the rosters to be announced this evening at 6PM... I don't care much about the ASG, to be honest, but I do care about the league snubbing our players to some degree... I would reasonably expect Price and Subban to be there, both of them have numbers to support their being amongst the top players at their positions. Pacioretty probably has an outside shot, although I won't be upset if he does or does not make it. I doubt anyone else has much of a chance.

Remainder of the rosters to be announced this evening at 6PM... I don't care much about the ASG, to be honest, but I do care about the league snubbing our players to some degree... I would reasonably expect Price and Subban to be there, both of them have numbers to support their being amongst the top players at their positions. Pacioretty probably has an outside shot, although I won't be upset if he does or does not make it. I doubt anyone else has much of a chance.

Just Price, apparently.

Just Price, apparently.

Yup, Subban snubbed again. If you take a look at Subban's numbers:

- 9th in D scoring, ahead of 8 of the D men who were selected t play in the ASG. Has played fewer games than 6 of the 8 guys ahead of him, so may actually end up being higher in the scoring race once he's played the extra two games.

- 1st in D scoring at 5v5 this year.

- 9th among D men in TOI, which seems to be one of the big reasons Suter always gets media recognition.

- 9th in the league in relative Corsi among D men with at least 30 games played.

Point being, Subban is clearly in the top 12 D men whether you're using traditional stats, advanced stats, or intangibles. If you look at some of the guys who did make it...

- Ekman-Larsson has just 19 points, is a -12, and has a Corsi relative of only 0.1.

- Justin Faulk has 24 points, below Subban.

- Erik Johnson has 22 points and a Corsi of 47% (which is not only not good, it's awful).

- Drew Doughty is behind Subban in just about every imaginable stat (goals, points, +/-, relative Corsi, etc.). His +/- is 0, and even though I don't believe in it, the NHL selection committee cites this all the time in blurbs about players winning awards. To boot, there is another King on the team (Kopitar), so there wasn't even a reason to feel compelled to choose Doughty to represent his team.

- Ryan Suter has one goal. One goal. He's a negative +/- player, and he has 5 fewer points than Subban. But hey, he's got all the intangibles...

- Dustin Byfuglien has fewer points than Subban (22), is an even +/- player, and has a relative Corsi of -2.7.

The point is that Subban clearly has most of the selected players beat. There is no automatic requirement that every team be represented, and as I said, in LA's case, they have Doughty and Kopitar in even though Subban is clearly more deserving. It's a farce that the NHL calls this an "all-star game" when one of the top 5-10 D men in the league this year and one of the faces of the league gets snubbed yet again. As I said, I don't usually watch the ASG and I don't care much about it, but I hate seeing the league continue to snub Subban over and over yet continue to promote guys like Suter and Doughty based on reputation more than actual stats.

Yup, Subban snubbed again. If you take a look at Subban's numbers:

- 9th in D scoring, ahead of 8 of the D men who were selected t play in the ASG. Has played fewer games than 6 of the 8 guys ahead of him, so may actually end up being higher in the scoring race once he's played the extra two games.

- 1st in D scoring at 5v5 this year.

- 9th among D men in TOI, which seems to be one of the big reasons Suter always gets media recognition.

- 9th in the league in relative Corsi among D men with at least 30 games played.

Point being, Subban is clearly in the top 12 D men whether you're using traditional stats, advanced stats, or intangibles. If you look at some of the guys who did make it...

- Ekman-Larsson has just 19 points, is a -12, and has a Corsi relative of only 0.1.

- Justin Faulk has 24 points, below Subban.

- Erik Johnson has 22 points and a Corsi of 47% (which is not only not good, it's awful).

- Drew Doughty is behind Subban in just about every imaginable stat (goals, points, +/-, relative Corsi, etc.). His +/- is 0, and even though I don't believe in it, the NHL selection committee cites this all the time in blurbs about players winning awards. To boot, there is another King on the team (Kopitar), so there wasn't even a reason to feel compelled to choose Doughty to represent his team.

- Ryan Suter has one goal. One goal. He's a negative +/- player, and he has 5 fewer points than Subban. But hey, he's got all the intangibles...

- Dustin Byfuglien has fewer points than Subban (22), is an even +/- player, and has a relative Corsi of -2.7.

The point is that Subban clearly has most of the selected players beat. There is no automatic requirement that every team be represented, and as I said, in LA's case, they have Doughty and Kopitar in even though Subban is clearly more deserving. It's a farce that the NHL calls this an "all-star game" when one of the top 5-10 D men in the league this year and one of the faces of the league gets snubbed yet again. As I said, I don't usually watch the ASG and I don't care much about it, but I hate seeing the league continue to snub Subban over and over yet continue to promote guys like Suter and Doughty based on reputation more than actual stats.

all great points and dont forget that Subban was the top voted Dman in the east! by right (if the voting thing made any sense whatsoever) the starting lineups (6 players from both conference) would have made it in, which would have put both Subban and Price in the starting lineup.

Again, they're not playing East vs. West, it's the whole schoolyard pick'em for teams, so I get that part. But there's also no rule that every team needs to be represented, yet the league went out of its way to add guys having not-so-great years just to get reps in for everyone. And in Doughty's case, he made it in ahead of Subban despite being behind him in 80% of the stats categories and despite the fact he already had a teammate on the squad.

The other issue I take with this is that the league clearly went out of its way to put three CBJ players on the squad, just to accommodate the fact that they're the hosts. But if you're admittedly choosing guys who aren't the best players just to cater to who fans want to see, then why not opt for your league's most charismatic and marketable player in Subban? If you're going to insist on one rep per team, why not make it a rule and why allow 5 players from the same team to be voted in instead of having a limit of reps per squad? It just bothers me that the whole selection process is so inconsistent and seems in this case to snub players like Subban and Karlsson in favor of lesser guys who "play the right way" (Suter, Doughty, etc.). The ASG is one thing, but the same thing happens with the annual awards and apparently with how refs call penalties differently for different players. This just shows once again that the league can't keep the same set of rules for everyone, and that's a huge problem.

Again, they're not playing East vs. West, it's the whole schoolyard pick'em for teams, so I get that part. But there's also no rule that every team needs to be represented, yet the league went out of its way to add guys having not-so-great years just to get reps in for everyone. And in Doughty's case, he made it in ahead of Subban despite being behind him in 80% of the stats categories and despite the fact he already had a teammate on the squad.

The other issue I take with this is that the league clearly went out of its way to put three CBJ players on the squad, just to accommodate the fact that they're the hosts. But if you're admittedly choosing guys who aren't the best players just to cater to who fans want to see, then why not opt for your league's most charismatic and marketable player in Subban? If you're going to insist on one rep per team, why not make it a rule and why allow 5 players from the same team to be voted in instead of having a limit of reps per squad? It just bothers me that the whole selection process is so inconsistent and seems in this case to snub players like Subban and Karlsson in favor of lesser guys who "play the right way" (Suter, Doughty, etc.). The ASG is one thing, but the same thing happens with the annual awards and apparently with how refs call penalties differently for different players. This just shows once again that the league can't keep the same set of rules for everyone, and that's a huge problem.

Looking for a silverling here, but the all star (insert laugh here) break gives the non-players some rest. The ASG has become a farce, not like the old days.

Looking for a silverling here, but the all star (insert laugh here) break gives the non-players some rest. The ASG has become a farce, not like the old days.

Oh, it's absolutely better for our team that the guys don't play. In that regard, I'm happy. But if the NHL is going to pretend this is a legitimate affair, you can't not choose two of the five best defencemen in the league when both are among the top 12 defencemen statistically this year.

Oh, it's absolutely better for our team that the guys don't play. In that regard, I'm happy. But if the NHL is going to pretend this is a legitimate affair, you can't not choose two of the five best defencemen in the league when both are among the top 12 defencemen statistically this year.

The NHL wants it's "stars" , to be there, and even tho there shouldn't be a hard and fast rule about every team being represented, they consistently have a player (far from deserving) from each team at the ASG. Let's face it, if Carey wasn't there, how many Habs fans would watch? Same goes for any other team's fans.

I'm not defending the NHL's thinking by a long shot, but that's the way they see it.

I remember an ASG in which Roenick threw a check (legal) on someone into the boards, and the announcers went ballistic. He was asked about it later and (paraphrasing) he said that it was a hockey game and should look like one. Now it's just a game with no hitting,,, very few (if any) slapshots,,,and more stick poke-checks by players, than a tike game. I won't watch it, and like CRB, I'll watch the skills competitions. Back in the Rocket's day, there were even fights.

The ASG is a farce and will only continue to be one.

If the NHL wants its stars there, why aren't Subban and Karlsson (two recent Norris winners) going?

If you're picking guys just based on this season, how did Suter and Doughty make it ahead of Subban and Karlsson?

If the NHL wants so badly to have a rep from every team, then why allow 5 Hawks to be voted in and why select 3 Blue Jackets (from a non-playoff team, clearly these players were chosen only because the game was in Columbus)?

Too many holes in the whole process... just makes it seem the NHL has been picking and choosing their favorites to coddle certain fans and owners.

If the NHL wants its stars there, why aren't Subban and Karlsson (two recent Norris winners) going?

If you're picking guys just based on this season, how did Suter and Doughty make it ahead of Subban and Karlsson?

If the NHL wants so badly to have a rep from every team, then why allow 5 Hawks to be voted in and why select 3 Blue Jackets (from a non-playoff team, clearly these players were chosen only because the game was in Columbus)?

Too many holes in the whole process... just makes it seem the NHL has been picking and choosing their favorites to coddle certain fans and owners.

Ya got that right.

42 players selected to the ASG. Number of teams in the NHL, 30. Number of Canadian teams in the NHL,,, 7. Number of Canadian team players selected to the ASG, 7. Number of rookies selected to the rookie skills competition 6. Number of Canadian team rookies selected, 0.

Anyone see a pattern here?

Archived