The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll of the Week - January 2, 2015

BigTed3

Our best player  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Looking back in 15 years, which current Hab do you think will have had the most success with the organization?

• Max Pacioretty
    • Alex Galchenyuk
    • Carey Price
    • Pernell Karl Subban

We have a number of exciting and talented young hockey players with the squad now. But when it's all said and done, which of our current young stars do you think will have done the most in a Montreal uniform? Will Carey lead us to a Cup? Will Subban become one of the best defencemen to have ever player the game? Will Pacioretty become a longstanding captain or a perennial 40-goal scorer? Will Galchenyuk be the biggest star here since Guy Lafleur? Tell us what you think!

Great poll/question! :)

All 4 should have long-term impact here but if i had to put my money on one, I think the safe bet is Price. By the time he's done his career I believe he will need a larger trophy room. I see him being a multiple veniza winner, a conn smythe winner, and - obviously - a stanley cup winner.

If the team develops as well as it should, he should benefit more than any other player, having a strong team in front of him - plus - his amazing skillset. He will go down as one of the greats to don the mask for the CH, i have no doubt.

I thought it would be an interesting question, given that we often talk about who's best now or in a given season, but rarely have we discussed what these players will do in the long-term. Fifteen years ago, one could have asked whether it would be Koivu or Markov or Theodore that would have had the biggest impact when all was said and done. Twenty five to thirty years ago, we could have asked the same thing about Roy, Richer, Chelios, Naslund, and Corson. Before that, about Robinson, Cournoyer, Dryden, and so on. I think it's easy to place the importance on goaltending because of how central they are to a team's success, but if I go back through the eras, I wouldn't say that even very good goalies like Plante, Dryden, or Theodore were the most influential nor the best players of their Canadiens' generation. Hence, the question becomes whether you think Price will be dominant long-term and/or lead us to a Cup or whether someone else will go above and beyond that...

Guest habs1952

Great poll/question! :)

All 4 should have long-term impact here but if i had to put my money on one, I think the safe bet is Price. By the time he's done his career I believe he will need a larger trophy room. I see him being a multiple veniza winner, a conn smythe winner, and - obviously - a stanley cup winner.

If the team develops as well as it should, he should benefit more than any other player, having a strong team in front of him - plus - his amazing skillset. He will go down as one of the greats to don the mask for the CH, i have no doubt.

Totally agree with everything you said Jedi. I think a bonus for Price is he's probably the #1 fan favorite on the team.

This is indeed a great question! And although I can see why someone would pick any one of those answers, I went with PK Subban.

To explain my answer I want to first explain how I looked at the definition of 'having success with the organization'. It's hard to measure success objectively, especially given that all of these guys play different positions. One of Patches or Galchenyuk will almost certainly have the best scoring stats, while it's hard to argue that Price won't have the highest number of games where he carried the team on his back. But is that all it means to be successful when we're talking about a career-long scale?

Looking at the last 20 years you could ask a similar question by throwing out the names Koivu, Kovalev, Markov and Theodore. Of that group Kovalev was almost certainly the most exciting player and the most dynamic scorer. Markov was the most steady throughout his career and performed at a more consistantly high level than any of the others. Theodore single-handedly dragged us through what would otherwise have been some pretty gawdawful seasons. But if you were to ask in a poll who among the four had the most success with the organization? I'd bet that Koivu would get probably 80% of the votes. Saku truly was the heart of the team during the time here in every sense of the word. He led on the ice, he was front and centre of any off-ice charity work, and most importantly he just had a special connection with the city of Montreal and with the fans of the Canadiens.

I see something similar happening today with PK. As a fan, you watch him celebrate a big goal and you're right there shouting with him. With PK it doesn't even matter whether he's the one who scored it - he's out there jumping up and down all the same with this huge grin on his face and you just can't help but smile along. Off the ice he's also the guy who's front and centre during every media campaign or charity benefit. He's always being asked for and giving interviews, and not just by hockey magazines. And best of all? He's got the incredible hockey talent to back up all of that charisma. Obviously I'm not discounting the contributions of the other three choices, but in 15 years my money's on people looking back and saying that PK Subban was the heart and soul of the Canadiens.

Well my dear friend I can say that yes the Habs have some great young talent on the team but it all starts back in the net.

Carey Price is the solid foundation for our Habs & we go from there to the defence where PK Subban & Markov start our wall off with great authority.

Our forwards are a work in progress but we have a ways to go as far offensive prowess or even a good attempt @ becoming efficient in scoring goals lol.

Over-all I will say that this is the year with Price in net that we can take the Cup our D is good enough to stifle the opposition & our offense can get the job done though it will not be pretty lmao.

We Habs fans in Habs Nation have the chance to see our team achieve greatness this season & Price will be the reason as I predict we will finish in the top three of the East with-out any question.

Play-off success will something that the Habs can build on from last season & yes I think the Habs are there knocking on the door.

Go Habs Go !!!

I think the obvious answer is Carey Price. As a goalie, he's the focal point of the team and he's the guy who drives a lot of our success. But I think a lot of the same can be said about Subban, and as a defenceman, I wonder whether his staying power will be a little bit higher. You look at guys like Markov and Gonchar, who in my view are less complete players than Subban, and they've been able to stick around and play at a high level because of their vision and smarts. You look at guys like Lidstrom and Chelios and MacInnis and Chara, and a lot of the really elite D men have been able to play well late into their careers. I think Subban can be a general on our blue line for a decade, and I think he has the highest likelihood of being an important force behind not just one but multiple Cups. And, as Manatee pointed out, he's also a big personality and a guy who will simply feel like a key cog both on and off the ice. I think it's a close call between any of these guys, but Subban wins out to me by a hair...

Archived