The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Trade deadline - March 2nd

Deadline quickly approaching.

Kings just placed Mike Richards on waivers.

http://www.tsn.ca/countdown-to-tradecentre-richards-there-for-the-taking-1.191830

Wow, could definitely still be a terrific player in most team's bottom 6 but 5 more years what, nearly $6m cap hit per year? Yikes.

I could see a cap-rich, money-poor team taking a gamble on him. The actual dollars he gets go down to like like $3m per towards the end of his deal I believe.

Guest habs1952

Wow, could definitely still be a terrific player in most team's bottom 6 but 5 more years what, nearly $6m cap hit per year? Yikes.

I could see a cap-rich, money-poor team taking a gamble on him. The actual dollars he gets go down to like like $3m per towards the end of his deal I believe.

6, 5.5 and 4.5 for the next 3 years with a cap hit of 5.7 per. Not sure after that. Only speculation on my part but I'm wondering if he's carrying some baggage. I don't think he's anywhere near the player he used to be and he's only 29.

I wonder what Pk thinks about about him being placed on waivers. :P

Richards has never been the same since PK 'disrespected' him. :lol: :lol:

6, 5.5 and 4.5 for the next 3 years with a cap hit of 5.7 per. Not sure after that. Only speculation on my part but I'm wondering if he's carrying some baggage. I don't think he's anywhere near the player he used to be and he's only 29.

Well i think he was never a $6m player. Philly realized they messed up with that contract and unloaded him (although then they turned around & signed an even dumber contract in Bryzgalov) getting some great young players in the process.

Its a shame that he signed such a huge long term deal because like I said, he still has a lot of hockey left in him, even if its only for his defensive game. He could be an absolute monster on someone's 3rd line but who has the cap space to play him there?

Well i think he was never a $6m player. Philly realized they messed up with that contract and unloaded him (although then they turned around & signed an even dumber contract in Bryzgalov) getting some great young players in the process.

Its a shame that he signed such a huge long term deal because like I said, he still has a lot of hockey left in him, even if its only for his defensive game. He could be an absolute monster on someone's 3rd line but who has the cap space to play him there?

He has an 80 and 75 point season from 07-09, I;d say those are certainly worth $6M. Especially with what he brings physically and defensively. And after that, he scored 62 and 66.

But yes, it is a shame because he does have some good hockey left in him, just not a $6m player anymore. At only 29 years old, he likely still got a lot to give, at worst as a 3rd liner.

I wonder if it is his style of play that did him in, He was one of the more grindy scorers in the league, but wasnt overly big. Perhaps that took a tole on him.

Either way, like others said, I hope a cap rich team takes a shot at him as I think there are some teams out there that could gain a lot from adding him if they can look past the price tag. I just think that team certainly should NOT be us.

Question: If the deal was on the table, would you trade Allen/Emelin straight up for him?

He has an 80 and 75 point season from 07-09, I;d say those are certainly worth $6M. Especially with what he brings physically and defensively. And after that, he scored 62 and 66.

But yes, it is a shame because he does have some good hockey left in him, just not a $6m player anymore. At only 29 years old, he likely still got a lot to give, at worst as a 3rd liner.

I wonder if it is his style of play that did him in, He was one of the more grindy scorers in the league, but wasnt overly big. Perhaps that took a tole on him.

Either way, like others said, I hope a cap rich team takes a shot at him as I think there are some teams out there that could gain a lot from adding him if they can look past the price tag. I just think that team certainly should NOT be us.

Question: If the deal was on the table, would you trade Allen/Emelin straight up for him?

I doubt i would do that deal simply because it somewhat handicaps us down the road when we need to resign guys like Chucky. Too much money for a 3rd line guy., not to mention the animosity that might exist from his earlier comments. Don't need that in the room.

I doubt i would do that deal simply because it somewhat handicaps us down the road when we need to resign guys like Chucky. Too much money for a 3rd line guy., not to mention the animosity that might exist from his earlier comments. Don't need that in the room.

But,,,,but,,,but,,, he might apologize and renew his contract to take 1.5 mil. per year. :ph34r:;)

Allen no way. There's nothing to gain by trading allen for him when he can be had for nothing off of waivers anyway.

Emelin for Richards straight up I would have considered if their contracts were closer in length. Yes, Richards' hit is $1.6 million more per year but Richards is still an effective player. If he were $3m per, teams would trade assets for him. Because he's $5.75m no one wants him. Emelin is off the books at the end of 2016-17. Richards is still on the cap until what 2019-20 ? Ugg.

To be honest, Richards + Edmonton would make a whole lot of sense. He's purportedly got attitude because its 'his way or the highway' but i think there are LOT of players in edmonton who would thrive with someone giving them some real direction.

Yeah, for the record, I wouldnt do those trades either. Just something that was brought up on my Twitter that I found interesting. I'd rather keep the shorter bad contract and play Emelin as a bottom pairing guy for a couple more years. I wasn;t sure of the duration of Emelin;s contract, so if it is up after 2016-17, it's definitely better to wait it out.

I agree that Richards to EDM makes a lot of sense. They passed on Roy on waivers, but later traded Arcabello for him because they are close to the 50 contract limit. Even if they don't claim Richards, they could do something similar afterward.

Would having Richards on our team this year (with a bit extra salary) be better than having Emelin? It's not a guarantee, but I'd say that it probably would be. But having his salary on the books for the next five years? Richards is already slowing down - he'd be an absolute millstone by the time we got to the later years of that deal.

That, and I really don't like the guy :P

Seeing as this is the trade deadline thread. I'm curious to know, if you could choose one player (that we have a realistic chance of getting), who would you like MB to go out and get?

Personally, I want to see Yakupov on this team.

Would having Richards on our team this year (with a bit extra salary) be better than having Emelin? It's not a guarantee, but I'd say that it probably would be. But having his salary on the books for the next five years? Richards is already slowing down - he'd be an absolute millstone by the time we got to the later years of that deal.

That, and I really don't like the guy :P

That's my biggest reason. Don't want anything to do with him.

From the "4th Period", it's old news, but still.

"With several pending free agents on the roster, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello could be very active over the next six weeks.
Forwards Jaromir Jagr, Michael Ryder, Martin Havlat and Steve Bernier, and defensemen Bryce Salvador, Marek Zidlicky and Peter Harrold, are all set to become unrestricted free agents July 1.
Zidlicky owns a full no-movement clause, however, and will have to approve any deal the Devils attempt to complete.
The Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadiens, Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Rangers are believed to have interest in Jagr, who is making $3.5 million this season."

Seeing as this is the trade deadline thread. I'm curious to know, if you could choose one player (that we have a realistic chance of getting), who would you like MB to go out and get?

I dont love deadline deals for the most part. Sure if you can get an Alex Kovalev for Josef Balej or Vanek for Kolberg you do it, but how often does that happen? Usually you end up paying through the nose & you get a guy who doesnt quite fit with your team.

I would much prefer a true "hockey trade" one that could happen at any time of the year - although those are quite rare in the last few days before the deadline. If there was any way to say, turn Emelin into Yandle (obviously with us having to send more the other way) id be all over a move like that. Or perhaps DD or PAP for a more aggressive winger. So basically upgrading our middle of the roster rather than wholesale changes.

I suspect that MB is looking for a long-term deal right now, but if he doesnt get one, I could see him shoring up with a guy like Jagr or Ryder and going into the playoffs with a little more winger depth.

Guest habs1952

Just off the top of my head........Dustin Byfuglien. 5.2 cap hit until the end of 2016.

TSN....

Should the team fail to gain ground in the coming weeks, GM Bryan Murray has told The Ottawa Citizen that he is open to the possibility of trading some veteran players.

The Sens have the likes of Chris Neil, David Legwand and Chris Phillips to dangle, and all have term left on their contract, offering control to anyone not looking for a strictly-rental addition.

And......

Jaromir Jagr is once again advising that teams wishing to acquire him before the deadline to at least run it by him first.

Speaking to Fire and Ice, the 42-year-old stressed that he would like time to think about any move before a deal is officially swung.

TSN....

Should the team fail to gain ground in the coming weeks, GM Bryan Murray has told The Ottawa Citizen that he is open to the possibility of trading some veteran players.

The Sens have the likes of Chris Neil, David Legwand and Chris Phillips to dangle, and all have term left on their contract, offering control to anyone not looking for a strictly-rental addition.

No interest in those 3 imho. A few years back, yes (especially Legwand) but all are downgrades on what we already have (especially our youth already vying for spots) imho. If you're bringing in a guy like that as a rental thats one thing but if it means a Tinordi or an Andrighetto cant get playing time next year? Not worth it.

Jaromir Jagr is once again advising that teams wishing to acquire him before the deadline to at least run it by him first.

Speaking to Fire and Ice, the 42-year-old stressed that he would like time to think about any move before a deal is officially swung.

Word is that he would prefer to stay in NJ if the alternative is to play for a team where he's relegated to the 3rd or 4th line. He doesnt have any sort of NTC or NMC so in theory he could be traded anywhere but if he's PO'd enough i could see him just retiring rather than playing somewhere he doesnt want to.

I see him as a good fit for us, but I dont believe MB does.

From a purely hockey standpoint this is surprising but considering the ridiculous contract its no shock at all. I suspect LA tried to move him, taking back salary & there were no takers either so clearing waivers isnt too shocking.

If you believe the rumors, the Leafs (and Isles) are still interested in Richards & there may be a deal coming despite him clearing waivers. The leafs want to send Clarkson the other way while the Isles just want LA to pay some of Richards' salary.

All i can say is Richards + Kessel on one team? Darn that would be an awesome dressing room to be a fly on the wall in!

Some players that we might have some interest in at the deadline:

Chris Stewart, BUF

Tomas Fleischmann, FLA

Antoine Vermette, ARZ

Jaromir Jagr, NJD

Michael Frolik, WPG

Justin Williams, LAK

Jirir Tlusty, CAR

Martin Havlat, NJD

Zbynek Michalek, ARZ

Marc Methor, OTT

Andrek Sekera, CAR

All players who are FA after this season and will likely be targeted at the deadline by teams. Not a big crop this year. However, Andrej Sekera could be a huge addition on D. If we could get him re-signed, he could be part of a good top pair with Subban.

Andrej Sekera could be a huge addition on D. If we could get him re-signed, he could be part of a good top pair with Subban.

Im not sure that Sekera projects out as a top 2 alongside Subban. He's mobile and fast but really non-physical - i just dont see him as a top 2 but definitely top 4.

I could definitely see him playing nicely alongside beaulieu on the second pairing. Either way though, you're right, a guy who could be worth exploring and could take the place of Gonchar if we choose not to resign him.

Im not sure that Sekera projects out as a top 2 alongside Subban. He's mobile and fast but really non-physical - i just dont see him as a top 2 but definitely top 4.

I could definitely see him playing nicely alongside beaulieu on the second pairing. Either way though, you're right, a guy who could be worth exploring and could take the place of Gonchar if we choose not to resign him.

I've never really watched him, but for some reason always assumed he could be a solid #2. I know he's not the most physical guy, but neither is Markov. But if you've watched him more than me, Ill take your word for it. But either way, lie you said he'd definitely be a good addition to our top 4.

Seems to be quite a few options for our third line, but not many names that really fit into the top 6 outside of Jagr and Stewart.

Archived