The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#21 Devante Smith-Pelly 2015

ColRouleBleu

You know a funny thing...I have only seen him play one single shift yet (where he fanned on a one-timer against leafs). Sometimes I have to look in on the kids, or take a washroom break during the games, but you'd think that I would have seen a little more than just one shift...is he already in MT's doghouse?

Which is why he should be tried with either Patches-DD or (my preference) Patches-Plekanec. All checking would be on the left side & he woudl be free to force his way to the net waiting for rebounds and to muck things up. Putting him with guys like Eller is not (on paper at least) going to help either of them as thats not the way they play. Maybe they find some sort of unexpected chemistry but the logical place to at least try him would be on the one line that looks to be custom made for him.

Would be a better idea. Though I'd prefer Galchenyuk with Pacioretty in that instance. I think the common theme is to move DD off that line though. Perhaps a DLR - DD - DSP line that cycles back to the point. With DLR forechecking and DSP going to the net, they should take a lot of coverage away from DD and the D. There are a lot of capital "D's" in that statement!

You know a funny thing...I have only seen him play one single shift yet (where he fanned on a one-timer against leafs). Sometimes I have to look in on the kids, or take a washroom break during the games, but you'd think that I would have seen a little more than just one shift...is he already in MT's doghouse?

I did see one really good shift where his line had possession time in the zone, but it was all in the cycle. Another shift had DSP going to the net and a pass coming across the front at waist height, not much he could do with that.

Guest habs1952

Haven't been impressed with DSP so far, but will give him more time. What I notice most, is that he is supposed to be a net-front presence, but when he's on the ice, we don't seem to establish puck control in the offensive zone. Without that control, there's no reason for him to be in that position. We aren't getting pucks on net.

He doesn't seem to have the speed or skill with his stick to forecheck effectively or take pucks to the net himself. His hits come after the puck has left the area. We haven't really seen any passing or shooting acumen.

Like I said, I'll give him more time, but it doesn't look like he fits in very well or brings anything to the table that we can make use of. If we were a better puck possession team and capable of setting up in the zone for shots with more frequency, he might be more effective.

Yup......People usually give an acquired player 10 to 15 games to settle in before roasting him. I guess DSP is different because we traded a star player for him.

Yup......People usually give an acquired player 10 to 15 games to settle in before roasting him. I guess DSP is different because we traded a star player for him.

Well,,,,you know us Hab fans. impatient-smiley-emoticon_zpsgfmkzmhf.gi

We want it NOW

I agree that DSP has been under-whelming so far, but not sure I would call Sekac a star player (although he may be one day)

I agree that DSP has been under-whelming so far, but not sure I would call Sekac a star player (although he may be one day)

I *think* Habs1952 was being facetious - in the fact that like DSP Sekac has yet to prove he's a true top line player (although there are definitely signs that makes many of us sad he's gone)

I thought DSP played better last night than he did the previous games. Hopefully he will continue to raise his game into the playoffs and we can all stop feeling bad about the loss of Sekac

I think so too.

I still believe the scouting team feels like there's something special there (untapped or overlooked) and they will most likely try to bring that out of it him but it may take time to see it.

I think if he gets in better shape and parks his behind in front of the net on the PP, good things will happen. The one thing he;s done consistently since he's been here is go to the net and judging from hit highlights in ANA, thats where he makes his living.

Yeah i think i said earlier in the thread or the trade thread: This has the makings (or at least I think thats what they are planning) of a Tim Kerr/Dave Andreychuk kind of potential. Park him in front of the net (especially on the PP) and watch those garbage goals come. I just dont like how MT has tried him in the lineup so far, but if he (MT) is truly concerned with DSP's conditioning, you cant fault him for downplaying him until he gets to the level where they want him.

I don't understand how a guy's conditioning can be in question this late in the season unless injury was involved. I find it hard to believe, seeing as both he and Cakes were heavily scouted prior to the trade, so you would think that would have been obvious. I think it's just posturing from the coaches, trying to justify who got the better part of the deal.

it is interesting that on rds they were talking about him being 15lbs over his playing weight right now. if they are right with him coming from the team he was on that has a rep as being very into conditioning it seems odd he would be that heavy at this time of the year!

Is it 15lbs from his first year in the League? For all we know, that could be an extra 15 lbs of muscle. That's why i find reports like that from the media questionable. Didn't Boudreau make the same claim about Cakes being out of shape?

Is it 15lbs from his first year in the League? For all we know, that could be an extra 15 lbs of muscle. That's why i find reports like that from the media questionable. Didn't Boudreau make the same claim about Cakes being out of shape?

I think Boudreau's comment was about Borque, but your point stands; it's pretty tough to know what's going on from the outside since the media will make a mountain out of any molehills that the coach gives them.

I think Boudreau's comment was about Borque, but your point stands; it's pretty tough to know what's going on from the outside since the media will make a mountain out of any molehills that the coach gives them.

Thanks for the correction. :)

I'm from the Anaheim boards..DSP's problem has always been his lack of speed. He has great energy, good hockey sense and a quick, hard snap shot. If your team can cut his weight he'll greatly improve his game. I have to admitt we're going to miss him in the playoffs, he just wears down teams with his checking and really crashes the net with no fear and good hands.

You guys have a great record and owned the Ducks last night, we just got a few past a great goalie...it's all about the cup anyway and you'll be right there. Unfortunately we have a few guys who've won everything and seem to be more concerned about vacation plans than going deep for the cup. How do you get eliminated then start posting selfies from cabo in 12 hours? :blink:

yeah this was the first game so far where i thought he looked effective. a lot of his hits are still after the puck is already gone, and i think thats what they want from him conditioning wise....to get that extra step quicker and actually get to the guy before he gets rid of the puck.

i loved that play near the end of the game where he dumped it in and just ran right over the D trying to obstruct his path to the corner, great stuff

Archived