The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#26 Jeff Petry 2015

ColRouleBleu

Its been a couple of years since ive watched a lot of Jeff Petry (although I know he's got skills and am happy we got him for a late 2nd round pick). Here's some comments from the oilers' board:

- As an Oilers fan, i'm not happy about the trade, more unhappy about the situation we put ourselves in. As a nominal Habs fan, I'm ecstatic. You guys are getting a really really good player who'll shock you in very good ways as a #3 Dman.

- Petry's career has pretty much been propping up a D on the other side that can't move the puck. All game he has his partner constantly struggling, trying to give him the puck so he can move it up the ice. Ference was probably his hardest assignment so far. The only time it wasn't like that for a long period was with Marincin last year and they were great together but this year Mact/Eakins decided they didn't like Marincin. I think Petry will do very well for Montreal.

- He can play top pairing in a pinch if he's paired with someone better than he is but he's ideally a very very good second pairing dman.

- Ron Hextall was able to get more for a 39-year-old who hasn't played since April than Craig MacTavish was for his best defenceman.

From the Edmonton Sun:

"To settle for a second round pick and conditional fifth round choice from the Montreal Canadiens makes the statement that Petry, having a career year with a minus 25 as a UFA, had very little value other than in certain areas of the media.

“I think if I was making the deal with the media, I might have got more.”

To many, though, Petry was a guy who is averaging 20:57 minutes a game ice time, 88th in the league, should have been worth more than to some what will seem to be a used Zamboni and a pail of pucks.

A second-round pick, where the Montreal Canadiens currently sit in the standings, is the 59th selection. That’s essentially a third round pick."

one of the only habs who showed up. The announcers were making excuses for the team that they had a long flight, hadnt got their legs yet etc but Petry woke up that morning as an oiler and jumped on a plane to meet his new team that afternoon.

For a lot of the game i bet he thought he was still on the oilers!

Guest habs1952

one of the only habs who showed up. The announcers were making excuses for the team that they had a long flight, hadnt got their legs yet etc but Petry woke up that morning as an oiler and jumped on a plane to meet his new team that afternoon.

For a lot of the game i bet he thought he was still on the oilers!

I believe he got THE call around 6 AM. If anyone had an excuse for last night's game it was him.

He had stood out the last 20 games on the Oilers (but that was not hard to do), I thought he looked very good against Tampa. I am not sure he will want to sign with us though, and Bergevin appears to have tight purse strings. With Markov nearing the end of his career I am sure we can make room

• 3 weeks later...

Personally... as with everything else that that GM Marc Bergevin has done since just prior to the trade deadline, I must say I'm not that impressed with this acquisition. He has not been terrible, but his impact has done little to convince me the Habs are a better team with him in the line-up. Just my opinion based on my eye test. In fact I believe both Gilbert and Pateryn have been better in their respective roles right now. The pairing of Beaulieu and Gilbert was working very well and gave the Habs a decent top-four, IMO, before things got moved around because of the Petry acquisition.

Personally... as with everything else that that GM Marc Bergevin has done since just prior to the trade deadline, I must say I'm not that impressed with this acquisition. He has not been terrible, but his impact has done little to convince me the Habs are a better team with him in the line-up. Just my opinion based on my eye test. In fact I believe both Gilbert and Pateryn have been better in their respective roles right now. The pairing of Beaulieu and Gilbert was working very well and gave the Habs a decent top-four, IMO, before things got moved around because of the Petry acquisition.

Yeah? I feel like he's been a solid addition to the top four. Depending on his asking price I would be interested in bringing him back next year.

Having said that, I don't have anything against Gilbert, Pateryn or Beaulieu either. In fact even Emelin has looked pretty good lately. Our defense is just a lot stronger than we're used to, and if nothing else I think that we can be happy to have Petry as yet another good option for the playoffs. For once if somebody gets injured we've actually got somebody else capable of filling in without missing a beat.

Yeah? I feel like he's been a solid addition to the top four. Depending on his asking price I would be interested in bringing him back next year.

Having said that, I don't have anything against Gilbert, Pateryn or Beaulieu either. In fact even Emelin has looked pretty good lately. Our defense is just a lot stronger than we're used to, and if nothing else I think that we can be happy to have Petry as yet another good option for the playoffs. For once if somebody gets injured we've actually got somebody else capable of filling in without missing a beat.

Yeah??

Petry can be a player... no doubt. He skates very well (going forward at least) has skills handling the puck (going forward at least) and decent size (more-so in terms of height and reach). Maybe he could be an effective option as a right-wing forward ;)

And yes, he does offer depth at the right-D position (though I'm not sure he is a true top-four at this point).

Petry has looked just fine to me.

Just fine does not mean he represents the impact player he was touted to be IMO. And as a result of those expectations, he remains on honeymoon for those who want to believe regardless of any deficiencies that are apparent to the eye test. For me he simply represents additional depth at this point.

Archived