The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#17 Torrey Mitchell 2015

ColRouleBleu

Hockeyinsideout.com mentioned that he went 11-5 on face-offs last night. Is he known for being good in the circle? Can we rely on him to supplant Malhotra permanently?

He's played a decent amount of wing over career but when he does play centre he's been strong in the dot for much of his career. I dont think he'll ever be as consistently good as Malholtra but I think there are 2 major flaws with overvaluing faceoff stats:

1) timing. Desharnais has really improved his overall FO percentage this year but he still will often loose key faceoffs. Those are far more important that faceoffs in general. And thats not to harp on DD - i am just pointing out that percentages arent anywhere near as important as importance of individual faceoffs. Look at a guy like Toews - sure he's a top 10 faceoff man - but what is really key is those 'uber-important' draws - late in a game - either defensive or offensive... guys like Toews or Bergeron they just never seem to lose them.

2) What you do when you lose. Everyone loses. Even the best guy in the league loses 4 out of every 10. Back when we had perrault the coach would constantly send him out in tough situations because he would (on average) win 1 out of every 10 more than koivu etc but when he did lose a key defensive draw he was not a good guy to have on the ice.

I am hoping that even though Mitchell may be a few percentages worse than Malholtra MT appreciates that he's a better overall player & we will see him dressed in lieu of Manny.

One thing I will say about Mitchell is that I think he's a better player than Malhotra by a fair margin and I also like what he brings more than Flynn at this point. Mitchell seems to play with more composure (probably due to more experience) and he doesn't get himself out of position. I can live with a 4th line of Prust-Mitchell-Weise...

I'm guessing a possible torn bicep. But then again, I ain't Dr. Recchi.

Dr. Recchi would say he was simply faking it.

Totally off topic for Torrey Mitchell but too good not to share.

I was at a Gymnastics competition in Kamloops with my daughter on the weekend. Recchi was born there & is a member of the "kamloops sports hall of fame" which she and I were looking at after teh event. They have pictures of each member, along with a possession (boxing gloves, a medal, a jersey etc). Recchi had his ASG MVP gloves there with the Habs logo on it. My daughter saw this & said "hey who is that, dad? I see the montreal sign" And a total random guy walking behind us said "hrrr.. that is Dr. Recchi"

Talk about an inside joke growing wings...

Guest habs1952

I was at a Gymnastics competition in Kamloops with my daughter on the weekend. Recchi was born there & is a member of the "kamloops sports hall of fame" which she and I were looking at after teh event. They have pictures of each member, along with a possession (boxing gloves, a medal, a jersey etc). Recchi had his ASG MVP gloves there with the Habs logo on it. My daughter saw this & said "hey who is that, dad? I see the montreal sign" And a total random guy walking behind us said "hrrr.. that is Dr. Recchi"

Probably some guy who broke his leg and Dr. Recchi diagnosed a concussion. :lol:

Good stuff, Jed. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

3 YEAR DEAL

yup, confirmed here: http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=770960&navid=DL|MTL|home

I dont love giving 3 year deals to 4th liners but a couple of notes:

1) if the cost is low enough, no big deal, he's proven over 450 nhl games he's a capable 4th liner.

2) at 30 he's young enough that he shouldnt suffer too much of a decline over the contract

3) MB sure is locking up players in a hurry. Makes me think he's got big plans for the summer.... or else he wants to get it all done early and then go to disneyland. :P

4) will one of our other grinders be on the move now so we can make room for a youngster or 2?

I don't like term to 4th liners, especially ones on the wrong side of 30. The cap hit doesn't bother me but it becomes a numbers game. We saw it with Moen, whose cap hit at the time seemed quite low but he ended up just being a contract and body in the way of better players who were progressing rather than aging. We traded out of it but we had to take on Gonchar who ate into valuable deadline cap space and was a noncontributor. Those trades aren't always there, though and being stuck with Moen right now would be annoying.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived