The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Stanley Cup Race, and NHL Awards

kinot-1

I don't think it's too soon to start this thread.

Last night I was reading on TSN (Bodog), where the Hawks were the favorites (15-2), to win the SC, because they obtained Vermette to replace Kane,,,,"really"? Vegas Insider has them listed at 11-2,,,,and OddsShark has them listed at 15-2. Ahead of the Ducks, Preds, Habs, and the Blues? Currently, The Hawks sit at #10 in overall standings.

Personally, I don't get these odds.

Regardless of what "they" think, who do you feel has the best chance of winning it all, with all things being equal (health)? We all know that some contenders falter and fall in the race to the cup, and a team will come out of the woodwork to knock-off a favorite (see 2014 LA).

My top 4 list, in order:

Ducks

Preds

Habs

Blues

Dark horse,,,Detroit

Now, to the NHL hardware.

General Manager of the Year

An annual award presented to recognize the work of the league’s general managers, voting for this new award is conducted among the 30 club general managers and a panel of NHL executives, print and broadcast media at the conclusion of the regular season.

My pick, Doug Armstrong, St. Louis Blues

NHL Foundation Award

The NHL Foundation Player Award is awarded annually to the National Hockey League (NHL) player "who applies the core values of (ice) hockey—commitment, perseverance and teamwork—to enrich the lives of people in his community". ( never heard of it).

My pick,,,,,no idea.

Bridgestone Messier Leadership Award

The Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award presented by Bridgestone (Messier) has been awarded since 2006-07 and is awarded "to the player who exemplifies great leadership qualities to his team, on and off the ice during the regular season."

My pick,,,hard to say what players are doing off the ice.

Ted Lindsay Award (formerly Lester B. Pearson Award)

The Ted Lindsay Award is presented annually to the "most outstanding player" in the NHL as voted by fellow members of the National Hockey League Players' Association.

My pick,,,similar to the Hart Trophy, Carey Price.

Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy

The Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy is an annual award under the trusteeship of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association and is given to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.

My pick,,,whoever came back from a long injury/illness.

Jack Adams Award

The Jack Adams Award is an annual award presented by the National Hockey League Broadcasters' Association to the NHL coach judged to have contributed the most to his team's success.

My pick,,,,,Paul Fenton,,,,,Nashville.

Frank J. Selke Trophy

The Frank J. Selke Trophy is an annual award given to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game. The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association at the end of the regular season.

My pick,,,,,,Thomas Plekanec should get consideration, but he won't,,,no idea.

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy

The Lady Byng Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability. The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association at the end of the regular season.

My pick,,,,,Tyler Johnson, TB.

Calder Memorial Trophy

The Calder Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League. The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association at the end of the regular season.

My pick,,,,Filip Forsberg, Nashville.

James Norris Memorial Trophy

The James Norris Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position. The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association at the end of the regular season.

My pick,,,,,,PK should be in the mix, but Letang will get it.

Vezina Trophy

The Vezina Trophy is an annual award given to the goalkeeper adjudged to be the best at this position as voted by the general managers of all NHL clubs.

My pick,,,no brainer,,,Carey.

Hart Memorial Trophy

The Hart Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team. The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association in all NHL cities at the end of the regular season.

My pick,,,,, again,, Carey.

Discuss

Mods, if you feel this thread belongs in the "Around the League" forums, then do your job :ph34r: , :P

Bill Masterton should go to Pekke Rine, hands down.

James Norris;no way should PK be considered. He's getting better defensively, but by no means in the running. He needs to stop spinning around in circles with the puck. Most of the time he gives it up when he does. This award is for defensive play, not show boating.

I agree with Carey Price for Vezina Award and think he'll get either/or, but not both, of the Hart Trophy or most likely Ted Lindsay, since they don't like giving the Hart to goaltenders. Even though he does deserve it.

As for top 4;

I don't have one.

The kind of year the Habs are having, these are the ones that turn into surprise Championships.

If not that, then I think the Preds will take it.

James Norris;no way should PK be considered. He's getting better defensively, but by no means in the running. He needs to stop spinning around in circles with the puck. Most of the time he gives it up when he does. This award is for defensive play, not show boating.

This simply isn't reality. Look at the statistics, both advanced and "regular". P.K. Subban is setting the standard for defenceman in the league this season. It's quantifiable.

Additionally, the Norris has been about defence point scoring and comprehensive gameplay for fifty years. It just does not go to "defensive fundamentals" players, and hasn't in at least a generation. The average points by the last 25 Norris winners is 71.8. It's about points, and P.K. is one behind the leader—while playing harder assignments, more minutes, and with better possession stats.

If he continues at this pace, P.K. Subban deserves the Norris, but likely won't get it due to how hopelessly backwards the hockey media is.

PK is one of 3-4 guys who would be worthy, Giordano was having a pretty beastly season, too bad about that. Weber will likely win and I think there's better options. If you're going by the best offensive D only, they'll probably give it to Letang as of right now. 1 more point with 7 less games played.

Hart, I think despite the early buzz it's unlikely Carey wins, there's too many voters who flat out will not vote for a goalie and with how hot Ovechkin is, it'll be tough...

I've posted some stats in the Subban thread supporting why P.K. should easily be the front-runner for the Norris now that Giordano is out and why Weber is extremely overrated in that category. In my view, Karlsson, Doughty, and Letang should all be ranked ahead of Weber (but behind Subban right now).

As for reaching the Cup finals, in the East, I'd peg the favorites as being

1. NYR

2. Tampa

3. Montreal

4. Pittsburgh

5. Detroit

6. Washington

In the West, I like

1. LA (assuming they make the playoffs)

2. Chicago (despite missing Kane)

3. Anaheim

4. Nashville

5. St. Louis

Here's how LeBrun would vote,,,,,, if they were to vote today.

His complete candidates and reasons for his voting, can be found here. http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12419527/nhl-third-quarter-award-winners

HART TROPHY

Price
VEZINA TROPHY
Price
NORRIS TROPHY
Weber
CALDER TROPHY
Ekblad
SELKE TROPHY
Backes
JACK ADAMS AWARD
Babcock
GM AWARD
Holland

Norris Nominees: Kris LeTang, PK Subban and Shea Weber. I think leTand wins it.

Vezina Nominees: Carey Price, Pekka Rinne and Brayden Holtby. I think Carey wins it.

Hart Nominees: Carey Price, Pekka Rinne and Alex Ovechkin. I think Ovi gets it cause the league love offense and I dont think Carey gets both.

GM of the Year Nominees: Garth Snow, David Poile, Doug Armstrong. I think Garth Snow gets it.

Masterson Nominees: Pekka Rinne, Kris LeTang, dont know of a third one. But i think it goes to Tanger.

Jack Adams Nominees: Jack Capuano, Peter Laviolette, Bob Hartley (if the Flames make the POs): I think Laviolette gets it.

From Matt Larkin, The Hockey News:

The Carey Price Hart Trophy whispers simply aren’t whispers anymore. They’re screams. They’re wall-rattling trumpets. No player in the NHL has been more dominant or valuable to his team this season.

Price leads the league’s goaltending class in wins (37), goals-against average (1.89) and save percentage (.936), the latter two triple crown categories by a wide margin. His seven shutouts trail only Marc-Andre Fleury’s nine. Price has been remarkably consistent, posting a GAA of 2.48 or better and an SP of .920 or better every month. He’s also somehow improved since the all-star break, going 13-3-1 with a 1.34 GAA and .953 SP. Those numbers don’t even look like they’re from the modern era. The GAA seems stolen from Alec Connell.

Better still, Price has done all this for a team with the 21st-best Corsi Close rating in the NHL, and for a team that scores less than any other in a playoff position right now. His backup Dustin Tokarski’s numbers pale in comparison. This is no Martin Jones or 2013-14 Chad Johnson looking all-world understudying a superstar goalie on a dominant defensive team. Every possible way you slice Price’s season, his success is his own. He’s the best player in the NHL.

And yet, while the Vezina Trophy as the league’s top goalie is all but cemented, history suggests the odds remain against Price in the Hart Trophy race. Dominant goalie seasons like Tim Thomas’ 2011 haven’t been enough to earn MVP status. No stopper has done it since Jose Theodore in 2002. Before that it was Dominik Hasek in 1997 and 1998. Then you have to flash all the way back to Jacques Plante in 1961-62. John F. Kennedy was alive and well then. Humans hadn’t landed on the moon.

Still, 2015 looks like the year to end the drought. The league conditions mirror those of Theodore’s season in many ways:

1. No 100-point scorer

Jarome Iginla won the 2001-02 scoring title with 96 measly points. The Hart usually skews toward prolific scorers, and only two even broke 90 that season. Meanwhile, the 2014-15 points race, while close and packed with superstar players, will not yield a 100-point man. Heck, a 90-point guy looks like a stretch at this point.

2. Weak offensive team

Jose Theodore’s 2002 Habs scored fewer goals than all but one team among playoff qualifiers and, despite his sparking 2.11 GAA, Montreal had a negative goal differential that year. No other playoff team did.

Carey Price’s Habs: 22nd in the NHL in goals per game, easily the lowest among playoff teams.

3. Point shares

Hockeyreference.com, a delightful rabbit hole of a website, uses a stat called point shares to determine a player’s worth, inspired by Bill James’ work in baseball. The stat estimates the number of wins or, in this case, points “created by a player.” It skews heavily toward goalies – Semyon Varlamov led the league in it last year – but Theodore, Hasek (twice) and Plante all ranked first in it during their Hart seasons. It’s not a clincher but seems to be a prerequisite.

Price’s dominance and the setup of the league around him point to a Hart season the same way Theodore’s situation did. Another factor to remember: the idea that voters don’t want to give a goalie the Hart and Vezina is a myth. The two awards have different voter groups. The Professional Hockey Writers Association decides the Hart, but the Vezina is the lone award determined by the league’s GMs. The hockey writers have no idea who’s getting the Vezina when they pick the Hart.

And thus, given the groundswell of support in the hockey media community toward Price’s Hart case, it will take something unexpected or catastrophic or spectacular to steal the MVP from him this season.

Still quite a bit of hockey left, but there are some teams who have surprised me with their ability to dominate despite some major injuries. (NYR, CLG. Ottawa)

I may be a little biased toward the red white and blue.

Norris: I like Subban and am not sure anyone else is that close other than the obvious Weber. Karlson deserves mention of Ottawa gets in

Selke: I think Toews or Bergeron wins but like Plecky, he is due.

Hart: Although they made it to the cup I think the Rangers without Nash are buried, so he or Getzlaff would get my vote. I also like Tavares. I think Price is definitely part of the conversation, but will win the Vezina instead.

Byng I think it will be Datsyuk but also like Sean Monahan. The kid has been great for the Flames.

Vezina Price for sure.

Adams: I think Vigneault wins if the Rangers are first overall in the east. Laviolette and Nashville apear to be going the wrong way. If either of Calgary or Winnipeg get in Hartley and Maurice should get strong consideration, but unfortunatley they are not in an eastern time zone.

Gm: 1 Sather 2. Snow 3 Murray

Messier 1 Getzlaff 2 Stamkos

Calder 1 Forsberg 2 Ekblad, I wouls reverse this ifFlorida got in the playoffs.

Carey sure is garnering interest for the Hart.

"Islanders coach Jack Capuano said that the Price was playing like an "MVP"

Also:

"Assuming the status quo holds, one has to believe Tavares and Price will end up as two thirds of the three nominees for the Hart Memorial Trophy to the league’s most valuable player. The other is up for debate, but it could quite possibly be Ovechkin, who leads the league in goals for the third-consecutive season, and by a wide margin (45 vs. New York Rangers forward Rick Nash’s second-place 39)."

Carey sure is garnering interest for the Hart.

"Islanders coach Jack Capuano said that the Price was playing like an "MVP"

Also:

"Assuming the status quo holds, one has to believe Tavares and Price will end up as two thirds of the three nominees for the Hart Memorial Trophy to the league’s most valuable player. The other is up for debate, but it could quite possibly be Ovechkin, who leads the league in goals for the third-consecutive season, and by a wide margin (45 vs. New York Rangers forward Rick Nash’s second-place 39)."

I think the other one, for now, is going to be Ovechkin. Obviously that could change, particularly if the Caps miss the playoffs though. Giordano might have had consideration before, but he's injured now and the Flames are rolling on without him. Dubnyk in Minnesota might also get his name in the mix, but I don't see how he can be ahead of Carey. In the end, it's unlikely we'll see a forward with more than 90 points, if that. Carey has clearly been more valuable to us than any player has been to their team, including Tavares or Ovi. My feeling now is that it's Carey's award to lose. The last three times a goalie won the award, they had numbers similar or inferior to Price's right now, so if he can keep his GAA under 2.00 and his save percentage over .930, I think he's the man come awards time.

Of course you'd expect that MB would vote for Carey, the same as Snow would vote for Tavares, etc, but I wonder how often politics comes into play, in the awarding of trophies? Here's what I mean. Would Neely vote for Carey, or would he vote for Tavares/Ovie, just because of the "dislike" the ruins/Habs have for each other. But then again they do have to vote for 3 candidates, (not sure if they can vote for other players not on a list), on a numbered system, (1st place,,2nd place, 3rd place).

Of course you'd expect that MB would vote for Carey, the same as Snow would vote for Tavares, etc, but I wonder how often politics comes into play, in the awarding of trophies? Here's what I mean. Would Neely vote for Carey, or would he vote for Tavares/Ovie, just because of the "dislike" the ruins/Habs have for each other. But then again they do have to vote for 3 candidates, (not sure if they can vote for other players not on a list), on a numbered system, (1st place,,2nd place, 3rd place).

The GMs dont vote for the Hart though. The GMs vote for the Vezina - so i think its unlikely that bias comes in as much because it would be pretty tough to vote against Carey after the year he's having. If it was the hart then your argument would make some sense simply because a GM could say "well different positions have different weights and value" but goalie - against - goalie... im not sure how anyone else's name would even be in the picture. Plus Carey is one of those players who seems to transcend the team, like a guy like Ray Bourque, Joe Sakic or Steve Yzerman did. in the 90s as a Montreal fan you hated the Bruins...except Ray Bourque. I hear that a lot these days from non-habs fans: I hate the Habs...except Carey Price.

The Professional Hockey Writers Association votes for the Hart so its often a really wide-open race although in a year like this - where Carey is not only having a nearly unheard-of season but also there may not even be a 90 point scorer, let alone a 100 point guy, theres' a very very real chance he is the favourite in that award too.

The GMs dont vote for the Hart though. The GMs vote for the Vezina - so i think its unlikely that bias comes in as much because it would be pretty tough to vote against Carey after the year he's having. If it was the hart then your argument would make some sense simply because a GM could say "well different positions have different weights and value" but goalie - against - goalie... im not sure how anyone else's name would even be in the picture. Plus Carey is one of those players who seems to transcend the team, like a guy like Ray Bourque, Joe Sakic or Steve Yzerman did. in the 90s as a Montreal fan you hated the Bruins...except Ray Bourque. I hear that a lot these days from non-habs fans: I hate the Habs...except Carey Price.

The Professional Hockey Writers Association votes for the Hart so its often a really wide-open race although in a year like this - where Carey is not only having a nearly unheard-of season but also there may not even be a 90 point scorer, let alone a 100 point guy, theres' a very very real chance he is the favourite in that award too.

My mistake, Jed. Thank goodness the PHWA votes of the Hart. Sometimes I think the PHWA pay more attention to the players that the GMs do.

The fact that it's the hockey writers is one of the reasons that Carey actually has a decent shot at winning this thing. Hockey journalism has a certain momentum to it - once an idea takes hold it gets reported again and again and again. On the one hand it's why Subban is still seen as a defensive liability in some circles. but on the other (more positive) hand all the recent buzz about Carey possibly winning the Hart has got to work in his favour in a major way.

The fact that it's the hockey writers is one of the reasons that Carey actually has a decent shot at winning this thing. Hockey journalism has a certain momentum to it - once an idea takes hold it gets reported again and again and again. On the one hand it's why Subban is still seen as a defensive liability in some circles. but on the other (more positive) hand all the recent buzz about Carey possibly winning the Hart has got to work in his favour in a major way.

Agreed. The hart is tough because they get 5 weighted votes (1st, 2nd etc) so if you split them amongst players you never know how its going to unfold. Last year Crosby got like 128 of the 140-5ish possible first place votes,and i am not certain if a goalie will get that kind of lopsided vote. The previous year it was split almost evenly between Ovechkin (50 - and the eventual winner), Crosby (46), Tavares (38) and Toews (39). The year before that it was Malkin with 144 first place votes.

Curious to see how it all plays out but like you, I think Price is in the drivers seat & the media press is only going to fuel that. Especially when he can put up god-like numbers as he has recently & the nonchalantly skate over & take a selfie with a fan on a tv-timeout. That sort of thing is gold with the Broadcaster's vote: great player, great season - great guy. Its the sort of thing that wont "get" you a vote but may lean a vote in your favour for anyone thats unsure.

If this happens, I'll officially have no respects for the NHL awards.

hahah dude you heard it here first!

honestly i think price has put it out of contention, which is the only way a hab gets credit. subban took over the norris race when giordano went down, its quantifiable, but unless he wins the d scoring race by 10+ points shea weber is going to win because his name is shea weber and hes not on the habs

Another award that Carey "could" win is the Ted LIndsay award. It's " awarded annually to the National Hockey League's most outstanding player in the regular season as judged by the members of the NHL Players Association."

Ya never know. :)

Archived