The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll of the Week - March 20, 2015

BigTed3

The Playoffs Round 1  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which team would you prefer to face in the 1st round of the playoffs?

The playoffs are fast approaching and we look like we're going to be there. It's time to start thinking about who we might face and the odds right now suggest that our most likely opponents are Det, Was, Bos, or Ott. To play Det, it's almost certainly because we finished 2nd or 3rd in the division though... if we face the others, it's almost certainly because we won our division. Who are you hoping to draw as our first round opponent?

I think we're going to win the division. I believe that Price is going to want to play the bulk of games before the post season (and i dont think thats a bad thing - we're not talking about a mid-30s Brodeur here, Price should be able to handle the minutes and will most likely play better in the post season without an extended break) - and as we've seen: Price in nets tends to mean wins.

So, assuming we win the division I think we play Washington, Boston or Ottawa.

I honestly think we can beat any of them, and although Boston will probably be the 'easiest' it would most likely come with the most injuries, especially if they get frustrated with our speed. Washington should also be beatable although (right now) they have arguably the best goalie of the 3 (I think the Hamburgler is going to lose his cheese by the post season) and its not prudent to underestimate a team with Ovechkin on its roster. The funny thing is that on paper I think Ottawa is the least talented of the 3 but I worry greatly about meeting them in the first round. I think we'd win but psychologically they have an edge the other 2 don't.

All said & done, Id still probably pick Boston, if i could choose which of those 4 id want to face.

I'm going to go with Ottawa.

We don't tend to play well against them and I would rather we face our toughest challenges early so we have time to adapt. Ottawa games do tend to get out of hand, but they normally don't have the level of nastiness that you see from Boston and Washington.

I think we either get destroyed by Detroit or have to play 7 nail-biting games to get by.

I also believe Ottawa is our best chance of a short series of 5 or 6 games. I don't want us to have so much time off that we get cold, but I want us to have a chance to rest up between series as well, so no 4 or 7 game series please!

When picking an ideal opponent, I think you look at a number of factors:

- team's Corsi and coach

- team's goaltending

- your personal success in matching up against them

- how hot they are going into the playoffs

Detroit is clearly the best possession team of the lot, and they have a low PDO, meaning they're probably a better team than their numbers indicate. Yet we've had some success against them this year and they're not a physical team. Boston also has good possession numbers and an experienced coach. Their core of key players have won a Cup together. Yet again, we've played them well both this year and historically in the playoffs. Ottawa is clearly the worst team of the bunch, with the lowest possession numbers, the most inexperienced coach by a longshot, and a high PDO. They're also riding a rookie goalie, whose likely going to cool off at some point. Yet they're on fire of late and the last time we met in the playoffs, they sent us packing in 5 games. Washington has an experienced coach but one who is bringing this team into the playoffs for the first time and who is less familiar with the East. They have a good goalie but not one I'd consider to be elite. And I think we have a good enough line-up that if you put Subban, Markov, and either Eller or Plekanec against the Ovechkin line, you negate 50% of their offensive firepower by taking one guy off his game. While I think we would win a series against Detroit, my hesitation there is that it would almost certainly mean we're seeded second in our division, with a high probability of having to meet Tampa in Tampa in round 2. I'd rather take my chances with a wild card in round 1 and try to get home ice in the second round. And while we match up well against Boston, division rivals are probably a bit more of a concern in terms of pulling off an upset (we've done it to Boston a few times and they did it to us the year we finished first too). So in order of who I'd prefer to face (of those 4 teams):

- Washington

- Boston

- Detroit (knocked down a notch because of seeding)

- Ottawa

Guest habs1952

The team I wouldn't want to meet in the playoffs is the Senators. They just seem to give us trouble by working extra hard whenever we meet.

One problem with the "let's finish as the 2nd division winner" strategy to avoid Ottawa is quickly becoming that the Caps and Bruins are sinking, and Ottawa may yet finish 7th or even pass Detroit...

And i think you *always* try to finish the best you can. You never want to take games off or put yourself in a position to lose... momentum can turn in flash so I think while we can speculate over who we may want to face, ultimately the team should play to win & let the chips fall where they may.

Besides, if we cant get past a team like Ottawa in the first round we probably aren't going very deep ourselves anyway...

Besides, if we cant get past a team like Ottawa in the first round we probably aren't going very deep ourselves anyway...

I agree with you completely on this point.

When it comes down to it, I guess I'll go with Boston simply because I enjoy watching a series between the two teams. Plus, being from Massachusetts, I'd get to see them all.

And i think you *always* try to finish the best you can. You never want to take games off or put yourself in a position to lose... momentum can turn in flash so I think while we can speculate over who we may want to face, ultimately the team should play to win & let the chips fall where they may.

I agree with all of this, specially from the team's perspective. From the fan perspective, I dont want to have anything to do with the senators so basically , for me, picking a favorite 1st round opponent is more or less an exercise in who to cheer for in scoreboard watching ;)

Wow, if Sens overtakes Detroit for 3rd in the remaining games, the Habs are going to be in big trouble :unsure: .

But if Habs win the division (unlikely but possible - that's purely my prediction :ph34r: ), and Sens do just enough to overtake Washington for 1st wild card, they are also in big trouble :wacko: .

Talk about being caught between the devil and the deep blue sea <_< .

Archived