The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Series Thread Montreal vs Ottawa

The Sens are a hot team, but it is what it is. They're still going in with a rookie goalie and a bunch of young players leading the way. We're going to have to see how they hold up under the pressure of the playoffs in Montreal. If we get to this Hamburglar character early, I think we can rattle him. the key for us is going to be controlling Karlsson and preventing him from creating odd-man rushes jumping into the rush. One thing's for certain, we're playing a team that's easy to hate.

The difference now is they are facing a team that made it to the conference finals and has the best goalie in the league. I agree that although they are hot they now have to play a team with a lot of experience and determined to make it. They are also playing a team with the best goals against. It should be fun.

Ottawa's going to be a very trendy pick to pull off the upset in the first round. I don't think it'll be as easy as that. Critics traditionally love to pick against us, and despite home ice advantage this time around, I can see that happening to us again this year. We usually play better as the underdog, and frankly I think the media loving Ottawa could put us back in that role going into the playoffs again. I think we'll rise to the occasion... Habs in 6.

Ottawa's going to be a very trendy pick to pull off the upset in the first round. I don't think it'll be as easy as that. Critics traditionally love to pick against us, and despite home ice advantage this time around, I can see that happening to us again this year. We usually play better as the underdog, and frankly I think the media loving Ottawa could put us back in that role going into the playoffs again. I think we'll rise to the occasion... Habs in 6.

Habs in 6 for me as well and for the same reasons

Now, playoffs shooters for each Habs goal?

10277836_664209716960225_621420197956548

I've got my playoff avatar all ready to go!

I think it's going to be 1 cigar per game (Alec Bradley - Black Market Robusto), 6 beers [minimum] (various Unibroue varieties), and a bottle of whiskey for each series win (Green Spot).

Don't ask me what it'll be for when we win the Cup. All I'll say is that Ricky would be envious.

Price the last couple weeks has been very human, not really bad but no where near the level he was at. Hard to imagine us winning if that continues.

This. I'm not feeling very optimistic about this series. The Sens seem to have a ridiculous amount of luck against us too and if that continues, it could be a short one.

The Sens are a hot team, but it is what it is. They're still going in with a rookie goalie and a bunch of young players leading the way. We're going to have to see how they hold up under the pressure of the playoffs in Montreal. If we get to this Hamburglar character early, I think we can rattle him. the key for us is going to be controlling Karlsson and preventing him from creating odd-man rushes jumping into the rush. One thing's for certain, we're playing a team that's easy to hate.

This thought was the one that helped me sleep last night.

Price the last couple weeks has been very human, not really bad but no where near the level he was at. Hard to imagine us winning if that continues.

I've been thinking the same. The stakes are a lot higher, now, though and I've got my fingers crossed that his play will rise to the occasion.

Trying so hard not to go back 2 years in my head.

This was pretty much the worst scenario, if you ask me. Still, it is what it is. It's certainly not insurmountable. No playoff series should be easy, anyway, so hopefully MT's got the troops fired up and ready to go.

Lets keep this in mind when remembering our last playoffs against the Sens

Posting this from EOTP. Here's the full collection of injuries by the end of the playoffs:

Max Pac: Separated shoulder in Game One. Missed Game Two, but played the following three. He wasn't himself and that was clear, but he still managed 13 shots in 4 games, he just couldn't get on the scoreboard.

Carey Price: Bothered by nagging injuries towards the end of the season that he wouldn't go into detail on, Price mused about whether or not he would need surgery. The injury that knocked him out of the playoffs was a second degree sprained MCL, he would have been out for 4-6 weeks.

Ryan White: Suffered a punctured lung in Game Three, but somehow continued to play. His lung was already punctured when he fought Cowen.

Lars Eller: Concussed by Gryba in Game One, suffered facial fractures when his head hit the ice. Eller said today that he was close to returning, possibly in time for the next game.

Franky Bouillon: Broken finger. (Apparently broken since mid April).

Brian Gionta: Torn bicep in Game One, somehow he played Game Three and was actually effective before doctors told him he couldn't play without risking too much damage, and he requires surgery.

Brandon Prust: Injured his shoulder during the regular season and never fully healed, says he needs minor surgery (scope). Dislocated a rib from his cartilage in Game Four, popped the rib back into place himself, and continued to play. Prust is both a warrior and possibly insane.

Alexei Emelin: Torn ACL on an awkward landing before the playoffs began.

This is a truly ridiculous list of injuries for any team to have. Keep in mind that since he's an unrestricted free agent, we likely won't know what injury Michael Ryder was suffering from in the latter stages of the year.

Nothing says that something like this will not happen again this year but I'll opt for having a bit more luck on the injury front this time around. Also for 2 of the 3 losses against the Sens this season Tokarski was in nets.

Lets keep this in mind when remembering our last playoffs against the Sens

Nothing says that something like this will not happen again this year but I'll opt for having a bit more luck on the injury front this time around. Also for 2 of the 3 losses against the Sens this season Tokarski was in nets.

We have to stay optimistic ;) All year this team was miraculous to succeed as much it did in lieu of many of the pundits assessments. They found a way to sustain what to many was not sustainable (they surprised me). GO HABS GO!!!

I think Anderson was a big factor as well as I believe even with the injuries we still outplayed them. We have a lot more depth and are playing much better hockey now. I think our experience will be the difference. We have played a lot of close games this year and need to play mistake free. During the regular season Ottawa could get away with mistakes against some teams and still win during their run to the playoffs. This will not be the case with Montreal.

Man. My buddy just phoned me and we have tickets for game 1. AWEeeesssSommmee!

Cool stuff ! I find that the very first game at home is one of the most exciting to attend because it's a fresh start and also I love to be surprised with the new pre-game theme/show each year. My jaw dropped last year when Ginette came out for the O'Canada. I wonder what new surprise the PR geniuses will come up with this year.

I never know what to think going into the playoffs with this team. Price has been awesome all year,except the last couple weeks, and without Pacioretty we can't win if he doesn't get back to the .930+ level. At the same time, that's assuming Therrien coaches at the same level. Last year, he did almost a complete 180 from bad coach to competent one, so I guess he could do it again. Could be a short series if that happens.

This will probably be everywhere, but I think this series comes down to 3 matchups:

1. Subban/Markov vs Karlsson/whoever (advantage Habs - but its narrow. Karlsson's defensive game is underrated)

2. Therrien vs Cameron (advantage Ottawa)

3. Price vs Hammond/Anderson (advantage Habs, but this could change by the 2nd period of game 2)

Whoever wins at least 2 of those matchups wins the series, unless Price goes full on superhuman again and Hammond regresses back to what he (probably) is. Either way, I don't think this series lasts long, regardless of who wins. This feels like a series where one team is going to fall of the wagon after the first couple games, at least to me.

I have some faith - so I'll go with Habs in 5. If that doesn't happen, I hope they lose in 4 or 5 and Therrien looks like fool.

Went with Habs in six. It will be Subban, that makes the difference in the series. Playing the season with Markov has made him a better overall player. They will most likely come out soft in game 1, but its the winner of game 2 that most times wins the series.

I'll be cheering my Habs, but I won't be surprised one bit to see Ottawa dominate them in every aspect of the game, including goaltending. Price is great, no doubt, but when he is overwhelmed with breakaways and odd-man rushes, there's only so much he can do. Hammond, on the other hand, is unbelievably hot, going 20-1-2 since he started. 20-1-2! We all talk about Price being otherworldly, well, Hammond's run might be beyond that. And he's got the right attitude: very laid back and even tempered. I like the guy.

Habs always have trouble scoring, and now with Max a question mark, it's just that much worse. They have a habit of making opposing goalies look much better than they are. So imagine having Hamburglar look even better than he was.

Our "system" still leaves me shaking my head most of the time. Antiquated, outdated, and ineffective. Ottawa will probably skate circles around us.

The Power Play is frighteningly bad. It actually gives the other team the better scoring chances while shorthanded. Hasn't been fixed in two years. That's a recipe for losing a playoff series right there.

The boys seem to play uninspired hockey way too much, which won't cut it at all in the playoffs. Mark my words, the Sens will come out hungry and never let up. If the Habs don't match their intensity immediately, they will find themselves down and playing desperate, and they don't do desperate very well IMO.

I'm predicting Senators in six.....or less. Montreal gets shut out completely in one or possibly two games.

Habs: First Round Exit, but Therrien stays on as coach so we can expect the exact same disappointment for at least two more seasons.

Man. My buddy just phoned me and we have tickets for game 1. AWEeeesssSommmee!

Don't do it, its a trap...

The fiance and I went down to game one of the conference finals last year... we all know how that ended up. After that game I said I would never see another habs game with her as she was bad luck. Went down to a Pens vs habs game the year before that and they got spanked then so my decision had grounds to stand on.

110 points to finish 2nd over all in the NHL and Price having the season he's had to all but lock up both the Vezina and the Hart and this thread is scaring the bajeebus outta me. It shouldn't be like this but I'm sure as hell not saying I don't understand all the doubt because I do.

Neither one of these teams are the same they were 2 years ago. With all that said, Habs in 5 and cheeseburger can then fade into obscurity.

I'll be cheering my Habs, but I won't be surprised one bit to see Ottawa dominate them in every aspect of the game, including goaltending. Price is great, no doubt, but when he is overwhelmed with breakaways and odd-man rushes, there's only so much he can do. Hammond, on the other hand, is unbelievably hot, going 20-1-2 since he started. 20-1-2! We all talk about Price being otherworldly, well, Hammond's run might be beyond that. And he's got the right attitude: very laid back and even tempered. I like the guy.

Habs always have trouble scoring, and now with Max a question mark, it's just that much worse. They have a habit of making opposing goalies look much better than they are. So imagine having Hamburglar look even better than he was.

Our "system" still leaves me shaking my head most of the time. Antiquated, outdated, and ineffective. Ottawa will probably skate circles around us.

The Power Play is frighteningly bad. It actually gives the other team the better scoring chances while shorthanded. Hasn't been fixed in two years. That's a recipe for losing a playoff series right there.

The boys seem to play uninspired hockey way too much, which won't cut it at all in the playoffs. Mark my words, the Sens will come out hungry and never let up. If the Habs don't match their intensity immediately, they will find themselves down and playing desperate, and they don't do desperate very well IMO.

I'm predicting Senators in six.....or less. Montreal gets shut out completely in one or possibly two games.

Habs: First Round Exit, but Therrien stays on as coach so we can expect the exact same disappointment for at least two more seasons.

Honestly, I feel almost exactly the same way. Especially regarding our scoring.

Archived