The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Playoff Referees 2015

BigTed3

Thought it might be fun to keep track of the Habs' referees this post-season and figure out how they do...

Game 1 was a combination of Steve Kozari and Dave Jackson. Kozari was the one who signaled Subban for the major and who bought the dives from Zibanejad and Stone without assessing them embellishment calls in addition to the Habs' penalties. He generally acted pretty arrogant on the ice too. I'd give him an F for his work. Jackson was more neutral but did ignore a couple of hits from behind on Plekanec and Weise. I'd give him a C.

Game 2 featured Dwyer and Furlatt. They ignored a number of supposed automatic penalties on Ottawa (too many men, playing puck with broken stick, Pageau clearing the puck out of play from his own end, etc.). Nevertheless, they didn't let Ottawa get away with as many dirty plays as the refs in Game 1 did. I'll give both these guys a B+.

We'll see how the guys in other games fare!

Pochmara and O'Rourke definitely handed out more penalties to Ottawa than us, albeit Ottawa committed a lot more fouls. I think they got a lot of stuff right, but their crackdown on Ottawa's dirty play overlooked two cheapshots to Subban's head and of course the headshot by Karlsson that should have seen him expelled and suspended. Overall, I would give Pochmara a B and O'Rourke a C+.

To recap so far, that's

Kozari F

Jackson C

Dwyer B+

Furlatt B+

Pochmara B

O'Rourke C+

Pochmara and O'Rourke definitely handed out more penalties to Ottawa than us, albeit Ottawa committed a lot more fouls. I think they got a lot of stuff right, but their crackdown on Ottawa's dirty play overlooked two cheapshots to Subban's head and of course the headshot by Karlsson that should have seen him expelled and suspended. Overall, I would give Pochmara a B and O'Rourke a C+.

To recap so far, that's

Kozari F

Jackson C

Dwyer B+

Furlatt B+

Pochmara B

O'Rourke C+

This seems about right. Overall, I have not been happy with the reffing in this series whatsoever. Too many missed calls. I understand they generally don't call nearly as many penalties in the playoffs, but this series has been very rough.

Game 4 featured Francis Charron and Kelly Sutherland... I thought they held back a bit on calling the Sens for some retribution penalties. On a few occasions, we made a clean hit and the Sen player came back with a slash or cross-check and got nothing. That said, they also ignored a few call on us, such as the Mitchell trip on Anderson (albeit Anderson then tried to injure Mitchell and got off too). Overall, I thought these two guys did a really good job, probably the best-reffed game of the series thus far.

Charron: A

Sutherland: A

Game 5 featured Francois St-Laurent and Kevin Pollock. Pollock's one of those refs with a bit of an ego, the "I'm the boss, don't mess with me" types, albeit not as bad as Mr. Ego, Tim Peel. That being said, these two guys did a relatively good job last night. I'm not sure how Brandon Prust didn't get kicked out for his spear on Bishop and I'm not sure how Bishop didn't get kicked out for his three slashes on Prust. But other than that, no major incidents.

St-Laurent B

Pollock B

Guest Regis2

lol.......probably 'cause he speared Anderson .

And those were slashes worthy of getting kicked out of a game.

I think you're jumping the gun and hoping Prust gets an opportunity to slash Bishop ( the Tampa goalie ) but that will probably have o wait until next yr

lol.......probably 'cause he speared Anderson .

And those were slashes worthy of getting kicked out of a game.

I think you're jumping the gun and hoping Prust gets an opportunity to slash Bishop ( the Tampa goalie ) but that will probably have o wait until next yr

Are you replying to my post? I don't understand what you're saying here.

Guest Regis2

You said Prust speared Bishop.

Unless I missed something he speared Anderson ( Ottawa Goalie ) - Bishop plays goal for Tampa- which I suggested maybe you were jumping the gun - hence my " LOL "

And I didn't think the spear and slashes were worthy of kicking the players out of the game. This is playoff hockey , happens all the time and is going to continue to happen , whether we like it or not, or whether it is right or wrong .

Now # 11 ( BG ) on the ground kicking at the Ottawa player ......hmmmm , not nice

You said Prust speared Bishop.

Unless I missed something he speared Anderson ( Ottawa Goalie ) - Bishop plays goal for Tampa- which I suggested maybe you were jumping the gun - hence my " LOL "

And I didn't think the spear and slashes were worthy of kicking the players out of the game. This is playoff hockey , happens all the time and is going to continue to happen , whether we like it or not, or whether it is right or wrong .

Now # 11 ( BG ) on the ground kicking at the Ottawa player ......hmmmm , not nice

LOL, fair enough, I missed that... to me, Anderson and Bishop are similar style goalies.

Regardless of playoff hockey or not, spearing isn't allowed at any point (unless you're Milan Lucic apparently) nor is slashing to injure (PK was thrown out of Game 1 for a less egregious slash).

LOL, fair enough, I missed that... to me, Anderson and Bishop are similar style goalies.

Regardless of playoff hockey or not, spearing isn't allowed at any point (unless you're Milan Lucic apparently) nor is slashing to injure (PK was thrown out of Game 1 for a less egregious slash).

The frustration that Habs players may have shown last game may seem bad... but when all is said and done, nothing they have done comes close to what the Senators have done in terms of severity and quantity that the officials have allowed to happen IMO.

We won another Lee-reffed game, but he did another questionable job. Being out of position cost the Sens a goal. He also made awful calls on Markov and DLR late after allowing similar plays to go uncalled. No consistency. Watson was less conspicuous.

Lee: D

Watson: B-

Was really impressed by Furlatt and especially Dwyer. Both guys kept their cool and didn't play the "I'm the boss so shut up or you're going to the box" game the way Peel or Rooney do. A couple of soft calls in the 2nd and 3rd, but they went both ways. The no go call on Kucherov's break was the right one by Furlatt and the missed offside was really on the linesman, not a reflection of anything to do with the referees. So I'll give them

Dwyer A-

Furlatt A-

This one's pretty easy. Chris Lee made some strange calls... Emelun for tripping despite the fact he didn't move didn't make sense, although he did get the TB player for diving too. Both refs missing the hit from behind on Flynn early during our 6 minute PK, as well as the terrible clipping play from Kucherov was unacceptable. However, Watson was clearly the worse ref tonight. According to Prust, Watson went after him and called him a coward and used some expletives to do so. The video shows that after Prust's first penalty, it was Watson who went into the penalty box after Prust to point fingers and yell at him, after which Prust says something back and Watson hits him with an unsportsmanlike. Prust added that Watson told him he was going to send him out of the building. That was the start of the downwards spiral. If that's all true (and the video seems to corroborate what Prust is saying), then Watson should be suspended and potentially fired. You cannot as an official go up to a player to provoke calls like that, it's amateurish. Prust had every right to swear back at Watson in that case, and it's on Watson not Prust.

Lee D-

Watson F

The information from Prust about Watson made me go back and check the schedule to see which Habs games had Watson in them from this past season:

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2014020712
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2014020123
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2014020941
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2014021096
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2014021110
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2014021205
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2014030116

Before tonight, Prust has had three penalties (Embellishment in Winnipeg, holding against Detroit, and goaltender interference in Edmonton) in this season's games with Watson. If I have time tomorrow I'll check the replays to see if Watson made any of the calls.

Guest Regis2

Some of the penalties were bone head / un disciplined

We can't keep blaming the refs or saying their is a conspiracy theory when this team continues to take stupid penalties .

All goes back to last year ( or was it the yr before ) with the embellishment - there was a video floating around of Pleks jerking his head back when he wasn't even touched .

And now with Prust making his comments this team isn't going to get any breaks .

Just shut up and play smart hockey .

Some of the penalties were bone head / un disciplined

We can't keep blaming the refs or saying their is a conspiracy theory when this team continues to take stupid penalties .

All goes back to last year ( or was it the yr before ) with the embellishment - there was a video floating around of Pleks jerking his head back when he wasn't even touched .

And now with Prust making his comments this team isn't going to get any breaks .

Just shut up and play smart hockey .

Yeah, Montreal took some really bad penalties last night.

I heard the Prust comments this morning, and thought to myself, "Good lord, don't say this in the media!" They're doomed to get any calls going forward, and can you imagine if we get Watson for another game? He's going to immediately find a way to penalize Prust, that's for sure. And it won't be hard given his propensity to go after Bishop every single game.

Archived