The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll of the Week: Summer Changes

BigTed3

23 members have voted

1. 1. What change or move do you most hope the summer will bring for the Habs?

• Michel Therrien replaced by Mike Babcock
    • Alex Galchenyuk becomes Max Pacioretty's center
    • Acquisition of a top 6 winger
    • Re-signing of Jeff Petry

Guest Regis2

All of the above

MT replaced by someone

AG gets to play centre ( sorry DD ), sounds like it's what he wants

Top six winger would eb nice but every team wants one.

Signing JP would also be nice but I think he's going to pull a Vanek and go home. So let's give NB , GP and JT and chance

The style of play that the Habs use is not suited for the Habs period.The dump & chase style is low percentage & the likely-hood of puck possession is low .

In my opinion Therrien should develop a puck possession style keep the puck more than giving it up .

As far as adding talented players ie: big talented power Centers well this is something that must be done through our draft & prospects we have in our system now .

A coaching change is not going to happen as MB stated as much in his news conference but I think Babcock would be a perfect fit, it is known that Babcock loves the City of Montreal/McGill University his former educational institution .

In no uncertain terms the Habs need to bring in a system/players to develop more offence period, 2.06 goals per game % in the play-offs is not going to get the job done period .

Regular season means squat if our Habs cannot get the job done in the post-season !

Go Habs Go !!!!

None of those are even possible except for Petry... or a very poor version of a top 6 forward

All of them are possible, despite the fact they may not happen. If I had to put odds on each, I'd say chances of Therrien being fired were 2%, Galchenyuk moving to center about 25%, acquiring another top 6 winger at about 40%, and re-signing Petry at 50%.

But in any case, the question is what you hope to see, not what you think will happen, so feel free to wish away...

I chose the Therrien option. In my view, so long as Therrien is head coach, we're never going to sort out the lines nor is it going to make much difference for us to acquire a top 6 forward. We've all seen Therrien play potential top 6 players like Briere, PAP, and Sekac in the lower half of the line-up, so I don't have confidence that just acquiring one will mean we'll use that player correctly. I do think re-signing Petry is a priority as well and can make a big difference to our team going forward, but replacing Therrien can have a more widespread effect than any one player, in my view.

I believe we need the top six winger most. I would to keep Petry that would really solidify our D. I have no problem with Terrien I think he got a lot out of this group. We played they way we needed in the playoffs when it counted. We out played Tampa in 4 of the six games. Game 2 we imploded but I don't think that was Terriens fault. We have a young group and still need a little more depth. We couldn't finish (but hitting 11 post we didn't have much puck luck either). Chucky at center we'll see. Like MB said in Sarnia they did move him to the wing and that was his best year so we'll see. The NHL is different from Juniors , I hope he can make the jump. Trade Eller get a top six winger.(but i don't see any team giving a top six for Eller)

Ted,,, where's the "All of the above" option? The way I see it is that we need an "all of the above" option. . As long as MT remains coach, he will stifle any up and coming player's development. Gally-A has already said the he prefers to play center, but, MT just doesn't want to give him that opportunity. I would hope that if/when MT goes, he will take Lefebvre with him (and by extension the whole coaching staff, except for Stephane Waite). . I can't imagine how MT would treat McCarran. Ya know,,, big center,, scores a lot,,, gets into the dirty areas. And what about Hudon, top rookie in the Q? I REALLY hope MT is gone by the time these players are ready.

The PP coach should have been fired 4 months ago.

much like we had to trade moen to circumvent MT , the biggest move this offseason needs to be trading DD.

He could easily keep him and just use him properly but the reality is as long as MT is the coach, its not happening, and as long as its not happening, the team will look like it does.

next year things should either look like this:

patch-chuck-gally

??-plek-PAP/DSP

or:

patch-plek-pap

EGG

as much as I want to see chucky at centre, I really dont mind option B. What is clear is that DD can't be a go to forward anymore, and not only that our remaining forward corps is very weak.

I have this horrible feeling that we change nothing. thats what my gut is telling me. the only silver lining to that is if we play next season the way we did this, we very possibly miss the playoffs altogether which would definitely spark the changes we should be seeing now.

much like we had to trade moen to circumvent MT , the biggest move this offseason needs to be trading DD.

I agree. ultimately, i would like to see all of the items on the above list come to fruition but I dont necessarily believe they will (although I know part of MB's presser is PR).

Assuming Therrien isnt replaced (which, ultimately, would be my first choice) I believe that moving DD out of the equation would have huge effects. Either Galchenyuk or Eller would have to be in our top 6 full time and either would be a welcome addition.

If there was one thing I would hope that MB would do, on a team that supposedly prides itself on character and being a 'family' would be to have post-season interviews, one on one, with MB. No Therrien or other management there, just the player & MB and they would be expected to be honest in their concerns and expectations. I suspect that he would find out some stuff (and trends) he was not aware of. Very few GMs go to the trouble of doing this but it can be a huge factor in developing a stronger team bond and, more importantly, help the GM to see what he may not otherwise see and make better/different decisions going forward.

Replacing Therrien has the most positive impact across the board, so that's a pretty easy choice for me. Unfortunately, it seems Bergevin doesn't understand the situation. So if I'm being realistic, I'd like to resign Petry, but I also don't see that happening. I'm a bit pessimistic about all of these, really.

There is no "all of the above"... I think a large majority of people would want multiple choices or all of the choices, so that's not an interesting question. The question is which of those is a priority for you this year.

Sure change questions in mid-thread :blink::P .

Bearing in mind that we now have to reboot our thoughts,,, I'll pick a top 6 winger, as that might help Patches, and our PP, both at the same time.

Sure change questions in mid-thread :blink::P .

Bearing in mind that we now have to reboot our thoughts,,, I'll pick a top 6 winger, as that might help Patches, and our PP, both at the same time.

Never changed the question... it always read "most hoped" (as in what do you want the most of the list)...

Voted for Babcock because that's the pipe dream that I think would be most impactful for the team. I don't really think the roster is all that bad, it doesn't stack up to Chicago and LA but in the East I don't really see any roster that's hands down better than Montreal's. Without Petry I'd say TB and NYR have better rosters, and NYI are improving, PIT will always be a threat, and BOS still have strong core players, but I don't see a roster in the East that's just flat out better than Montreal's.

I look at our last two deadline acquisitions, Petry and Vanek. Both addressed a glaring team need for a top 4 D and a genuine top 6 sniper. Both guys were great to have, and Petry was fantastic, but neither of them were enough to right the ship and fix the team. When you have Pacioretty, Eller, and Plekanec all on separate lines, and can always have one of Markov, Subban, Beaulieu, Gilbert, or Petry on the ice, I just wonder how much more you can expect. Pacioretty is an elite possession driver and an elite goal scorer. Plekanec is still a very high end possession forward. Eller's strong too. Gallagher is great. Subban is maybe the best D in the world. Markov, Petry, Gilbert, and Beaulieu are all high end puck movers. There really isn't any excuse for them to be all getting dominated possession wise.

Sure, it would be nice to have better players, but I just don't know how much more you can reasonably do to the roster before addressing coaching. Adding a Vanek type, Jagr, Vrbata, St. Louis, trading for Sharp, trading for Kessel, re signing Petry,or signing Mike Green are all nice ideas but they're ultimately window dressing. If Pacioretty, Subban, Plekanec, Eller, Markov, Gallagher, Beaulieu, Petry, Gilbert, and Galchenyuk aren't enough for the team to have a strong possession game, that isn't going to change if we swap Parenteau for Jagr or Vrbata, or re sign Petry.

All of the Hab fan's collective hope for a head coach replacement will not change the fact that it isn't happening this summer. As said by others, if you can't oust the coach then hope he changes to a more puck possession style system. Unfortunately this was not one of the choices in the poll, so I voted for a top 6 forward. More goal scoring depth at the front is required, hopefully it is someone that will stay healthy and take the opposition's defensive concentration off of Pacman, Subban, Galchenyuk, & ...

The regretful thing about the Babcock hire is this: if he was willing to go to Toronto, he was likely willing to come here. In fact, I think it was Pierre LeBrun who commented that Babcock was holding out to see if Montreal would offer him an interview/job. But if you look at Toronto, you have a Canadian market, a team with a lot of money, a media and fanbase that are highly involved and unforgiving... essentially all the same things you would have here. Throw in that Montreal has a better goalie (whom Babcock himself called the best player in the league), a better roster, a better chance of winning, and is a city he's already lived in, and you really have to believe he would have chosen us over TO if he was given the choice. The only aspect that would be different would be expectations, in that Babcock has less to lose walking onto a club with terrible finishes for years. But on the other hand, you could argue that Therrien's faults as a coach are known throughout the league and have been the focus of a lot of stories this year, so Babcock could still easily have impressed as a cut above his predecessor pretty easily here. All this to say that we lost out on Babcock and that it really appears Bergevin didn't even look into the possibility of improving the biggest weakness on his team. Shame on the GM.

The regretful thing about the Babcock hire is this: if he was willing to go to Toronto, he was likely willing to come here. In fact, I think it was Pierre LeBrun who commented that Babcock was holding out to see if Montreal would offer him an interview/job. But if you look at Toronto, you have a Canadian market, a team with a lot of money, a media and fanbase that are highly involved and unforgiving... essentially all the same things you would have here. Throw in that Montreal has a better goalie (whom Babcock himself called the best player in the league), a better roster, a better chance of winning, and is a city he's already lived in, and you really have to believe he would have chosen us over TO if he was given the choice. The only aspect that would be different would be expectations, in that Babcock has less to lose walking onto a club with terrible finishes for years. But on the other hand, you could argue that Therrien's faults as a coach are known throughout the league and have been the focus of a lot of stories this year, so Babcock could still easily have impressed as a cut above his predecessor pretty easily here.

I agree with all of this. Especially the timing. I am sure he was waiting to at least see if they would talk.

All this to say that we lost out on Babcock and that it really appears Bergevin didn't even look into the possibility of improving the biggest weakness on his team. Shame on the GM.

Without knowing for sure, I cant make that judgement on Bergevin. Its entirely possible they did speak. Unlike St Louis (who let it slip despite having a coach under contract!) we may have just been better at keeping on the down-low.
Like you, I fully believe that if we had wanted/offered Babcock the job, he'd be our new coach. So that says (for whatever reason, money, fit, language etc) we most likely decided that we didnt want him. But why?
What i just dont understand is this: Bergevin's moves and his thought process speak of a man who knows his hockey. How does he not see Therrien's faults? It screams of a guy who turns a blind-eye to the problems because they are friends but that makes no sense because Bergevin has clearly had no trouble making moves that are unpopular if he thinks it helps the club. He seems to genuinely think Therrien is our best option which seems very odd to me.

I agree with all of this. Especially the timing. I am sure he was waiting to at least see if they would talk.

Without knowing for sure, I cant make that judgement on Bergevin. Its entirely possible they did speak. Unlike St Louis (who let it slip despite having a coach under contract!) we may have just been better at keeping on the down-low.
Like you, I fully believe that if we had wanted/offered Babcock the job, he'd be our new coach. So that says (for whatever reason, money, fit, language etc) we most likely decided that we didnt want him. But why?
What i just dont understand is this: Bergevin's moves and his thought process speak of a man who knows his hockey. How does he not see Therrien's faults? It screams of a guy who turns a blind-eye to the problems because they are friends but that makes no sense because Bergevin has clearly had no trouble making moves that are unpopular if he thinks it helps the club. He seems to genuinely think Therrien is our best option which seems very odd to me.

Actually, we do know that Bergevin never approached Babcock. Detroit had to give permission to teams to talk to Babcock and they had to sign a waiver agreeing to compensation for getting the early jump. And the media reported that the Wings gave permission to Toronto, St. Louis, Buffalo, and I don't remember if there was a 4th one but it wasn't Montreal. Several media members stated they had it on record that no other teams had asked for permission. So it's not like Montreal could have spoken to Babcock freely and behind closed doors - Detroit would have had to have known about it, and they released the other team names, including Stl, who technically still have Hitchcock under contract. So all evidence points to Bergevin not even looking into it. The only question is whether Babcock had interest in interviewing here; that part of it is speculation, but Lebrun reported he wanted to (and is a pretty reliable source) and as I pointed out, Montreal's main disadvantages (media, lack of anonymity in public, Canadian funds and taxes, etc.) are the same problems you hit in Toronto, so it wouldn't make sense to scratch one team off the list entirely while choosing the other. So either Bergevin is all-in on Therrien and blind to his faults or else he's clinging to the language thing at the expense of talent, both of which are pretty inexcusable faults.

Archived