The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll of the Week: Prospects

BigTed3

Prospects  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which prospect would you most like to see make the Habs out of training camp next season?

• Jarred Tinordi
    • Michael McCarron
    • Nikita Scherbak
    • Charles Hudon
    • Christian Thomas

We have a glaring lack of offence on our team right now, but a number of potentially NHL-ready prospects who could help to fix that. We also have a supposed blue chip D prospect in Tinordi flailing around under Lefebvre in Hamilton. But which player would you most like to see make the jump to start next year? Not who you think will make the jump, but who you want to make the jump.

Is there room for Tinordi? Should we make room? Is Christian Thomas the most NHL-ready prospect we have? Does Michael McCarron's size give him an edge or does Nikita Scherbak's top-end potential shoot him up the ranks? Or does breakout local boy Charlie Hudon fit the bill?

You sure have a habit of making things complicated, Ted, ;) .

Let's see now. As much as I liked what I saw with Thomas, I'd have to pass on him because of his size.

McCarron, IMO, needs some time in St. Johns.

No room for Tinordi, IMO.

I'd like to see what Scherbak has to offer in the AHL.

From what I've read about Hudon, he's the one I would most like to see make it. I get the feeling that he has "drive", similar to Gallagher.

Scherbak all the way. Everything I've seen from him is exciting, and I wouldn't mind keeping him away from Lefebvre.

I'd like to keep them all away from Lefebvre. <_<

I voted McCarron simply because the question was "who would you like to see make the team" - not "who do you think will make the team" If McCarron is actually able to make that jump & be effective? Oh man, Id love to see that... but Im pretty sure he wont.

In fact, I would rank them in this order of likelyhood: Thomas - Hudon - Tinordi - Scherbak - McCarron - although I could see either of the latter given a 9 game trial to start the year.

Despite my ranking, I think Tinordi is NHL ready, I am just not sure if he'll be given a chance. Obviously a lot will have to do with wether or not guys like Gilbert or Emelin are dealt. I could also see Tinordi dealt this summer if its a requirement to get us that #1RW we need. I hope he's not though.

I suspect that either Thomas or Hudon (or both) will be with the team to start the year.

I have a real concern that the Habs have given up on Tinordi & surely MB realises that this kid will come into his own but he needs confidence installed . In order to do this Tinordi needs time up with the Habs to develop & gain the confidence to excel & do what he does best play good hard defensive hockey .

As far as the offensive down-side that the Habs currently face then I think Hudon should be given a chance as any other talented offensively player like Sherbak . I think both Hudon & Sherbak should be brought-up & be given every attempt to gain a spot on the team .

The bad trades that the Habs have made in the past comes back to haunt all of us Habs fans not to mention the team officials lol .

But in closing I will say that Therrien likes the veterans & does focus enough on players of the likes of Tinordi . I surely hope that the Habs management realise that Tinordi can & will be a force to reckon with on the blue-line & give many years of good hard stay home defensive play .

I'll first state that I think Hudon has the best chance of making the team on opening day, but in terms of who I want to see there, it's Tinordi. We've seen what Beaulieu and to a lesser extent Pateryn can do when given the chance and while the right side of our D seems pretty set right now, the left side can use some work. I think many of us are hoping Beaulieu will be promoted to Subban's left, allowing Markov to play more reasonable minutes on the second pairing. But the third left D spot is still up for grabs in my view. Emelin is not a viable long-term solution and the fact remains that we'll need to shed some D salary... I know he has a no-trade clause but I think the best thing that can happen for the Habs prospect-wise this summer is to see Emelin dealt and Tinordi promoted. If Tinordi doesn't make the team next year, I think he'll be traded and I think the return will not be that good. After dealing away young D prospects like McDonagh, Hainsey, Beauchemin, Robidas, etc. after giving up on them too early, I don't want to see that happen to Tinordi. While I'd love to see a player of McCarron's size or Scherbak's skill fit in, the fact is that those guys are probably less ready and a decision on them is less urgent, whereas the time to make a decision on Tinordi is really now.

you dont think that playing for Lefebvre will slow them even more?

It's a pair of bad (or at least, sub-optimal) options. Clearly, it would be preferable if we had a top flight AHL affiliate to send them to and not worry about this situation very much. That isn't the case, unfortunately. It's also unfortunate that Bergevin doesn't seem to understand how poor our minor league system really is.

It's a pair of bad (or at least, sub-optimal) options. Clearly, it would be preferable if we had a top flight AHL affiliate to send them to and not worry about this situation very much. That isn't the case, unfortunately. It's also unfortunate that Bergevin doesn't seem to understand how poor our minor league system really is.

There's a pattern here, isn't there? Decisions when it comes to coaching seem to be Bergevin's weakness.

There's a pattern here, isn't there? Decisions when it comes to coaching seem to be Bergevin's weakness.

Agreed. Which is odd since he clearly doenst mind going against perception/popularity with players. He can admit his mistakes with bad signings but cannot seem to do the same with coaching. Like i said, you can turn a blind eye to Therrien's faults with our sterling record but Lefebvre? Bad record, bad results, bad player development.. there's no positives there.

Agreed. Which is odd since he clearly doenst mind going against perception/popularity with players. He can admit his mistakes with bad signings but cannot seem to do the same with coaching. Like i said, you can turn a blind eye to Therrien's faults with our sterling record but Lefebvre? Bad record, bad results, bad player development.. there's no positives there.

IIRC, MB said that (paraphrasing here), that MB wants Lefebvre to coach the same system as MT is using, so that the players called up, will be used to the way MT coaches. Well, that's all well and good if the Habs coach has a real system. When MT plays Galchenyuk as a winger instead of center (where he was drafted), the dump and chase "system", and IMO, not utilizing players for their optimum skills, it's no wonder that players are often confused (IMO), as to what their role is.

MB has said that Galchenyuk either "may or may not" play center. Well dammit, he was drafted as a center, now play him there. I don't want the coaches, and by extension, MB, to screw up his development like they did with Wickenheiser, and no doubt some others.

Sometimes I feel that the players are winning in spite of MT, not because of him.

JM2C

Galchenyuk either "may or may not" play center. Well dammit, he was drafted as a center, now play him there.

Well, in fairness, some players change positions. Markov was drafted as a centre & switched to defense the next year (in Russia) to get more playing time. I do think that Galchenyuk's game is way better suited to centre and we are desperate for an elite centre, so it makes sense to play him there but if he truly is better at LW (not my belief) then i can see keeping him in that position.

If McCarron and Scherbak continue, maybe our top 6 looks like this in a couple of years:

Patches - McCarron - Scherbak

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher

Although I surely hope we find a solution to our 1st line RW and Centre problems before then!!

As I see it McCarron & Tinordi are big & both players are badly needed to enhance the Habs physical presence .

Therrion is big on the veterans but the time has come to give players of the likes of Tinordi the chance to excel on the big club .

I am in favour of a coaching change if the mentality of the Coaching does not change for the better .

The time has come for change in Montreal offence is needed in the worst way & MB must address this issue by players from with-in the organisation .

Time to act & utilize the talent & shed the veterans that have run out the clock time for change .

Sherbak is another player that should be brought up to fill the offensive void excuses are over time for affirmative action .

Go Habs Go !!!!

Scherbak and it isn't close for me. We desperately need some scoring and puck skill in the top 9, getting Weise and Smith-Pelley permanently out of the top 9 is a huge deal. One of the biggest issues in the playoffs was that between Weise, Smith-Pelley, Prust, De La Rose, Mitchell, and Flynn, we basically had 5 or 6 grinders dressed every night who simply aren't offensively talented players. Getting another scoring forward like Scherbak into the mix simply gives you another roll of the dice and another guy who can chip in.

McCarron would also be really nice but I don't think McCarron's offensive ceiling is as high as Scherbak. I also think McCarron has a lower bar to make the team out of camp, with his size he could be a decent bottom 6 forward at a lower level of play, while I think Scherbak will have to seriously impress to make it. In that sense I hope for Scherbak because I think Scherbak making it out of camp means he's playing at a seriously high level, while McCarron could reasonably make the team and be expected to develop throughout the year.

I think Tinordi, and Hudon are the most likely and I picked Hudon. Tinordi's injuries and our depth at defence appears to be slowing him down. Signing Petry didn't hep either, but I believe we may see Markov's icetime reduced and a chance for some others to challenge for a top four spot. This will likely mean Tinordi gets some time on the big club and with Gilbert and Markov heading toward the end of their careers I can see Tinordi being full time within a year or two.

Scherbek would have to have a great camp for the Habs to carry two kids at forward. Hudon has shown he can play and I hope he gets the opportunity to prove it.

Archived