The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2015-16 Habs Rumors

BigTed3

TSN, Bob McKenzie, and Pierre LeBrun have all talked about Stamkos and Montreal. Obviously the big story is Stamkos and Toronto, but I don't see why Montreal isn't also in consideration. Arguably, if Stamkos is looking at a potential "winner," we're much farther along than Toronto.

The problem with Stamkos to Montreal is cost. TB will most likely find someone who will take him on as a rental (in hopes of resigning him) and give away top flight players and prospects. I just dont see how you can acquire Stamkos without giving up at least one of Patches, Subban, Price or Galchenyuk. If there is a way to get him without losing one of those 4 then most likely TB would want 3 or 4 higher end players and that would hurt this team more than acquiring 1 player will help us imho. Not to mention the fact that what TB probably really covets in a Stamkos trade is most likely a top 5 pick, which we obviously wont have. Toronto might.

And thats not even getting into the question of how we're going to fit him under the cap.

The problem with Stamkos to Montreal is cost. TB will most likely find someone who will take him on as a rental (in hopes of resigning him) and give away top flight players and prospects. I just dont see how you can acquire Stamkos without giving up at least one of Patches, Subban, Price or Galchenyuk. If there is a way to get him without losing one of those 4 then most likely TB would want 3 or 4 higher end players and that would hurt this team more than acquiring 1 player will help us imho. Not to mention the fact that what TB probably really covets in a Stamkos trade is most likely a top 5 pick, which we obviously wont have. Toronto might.

And thats not even getting into the question of how we're going to fit him under the cap.

Ah, but... if there was someway of being relatively sure that you could resign Stamkos, wouldn't you be willing to sacrifice Galchenyuk?

Guest habs1952

TSN, Bob McKenzie, and Pierre LeBrun have all talked about Stamkos and Montreal. Obviously the big story is Stamkos and Toronto, but I don't see why Montreal isn't also in consideration. Arguably, if Stamkos is looking at a potential "winner," we're much farther along than Toronto.

Stamkos going to Toronto would be a total waste of his prime years.

Guest habs1952

Ah, but... if there was someway of being relatively sure that you could resign Stamkos, wouldn't you be willing to sacrifice Galchenyuk?

No. Stamkos' salary demands would turn this team upside down. Too many top end salaries and not enough left to spend on a decent supporting cast.

The only way we get him is if he goes UFA. Like I've already said, we're the best of both worlds for him. Montreal is close to home for him, we have a perennial 35+ goal winger for him to play with, the best goalie in the world, a top 3 defenceman and we are on the upswing with all these guys heading into their prime. We are shedding Gilbert's contract this offseason and if we find a way to move Emelin, we'll have some cap room to play with. I wouldn't be surprised if we are on a short list of teams he would be willing to sign with. If the opportunity arises, we have to take a run at him. Guys of this calibre almost never become available until their late 30s.

No. Stamkos' salary demands would turn this team upside down. Too many top end salaries and not enough left to spend on a decent supporting cast.

Yes, his salary demands would be quite a big factor. But, we're talking about one of the prime forwards in the game. And it's not like Galchenyuk won't soon be seeking a deal worth $5 - $6 million. Obviously, Stamkos is going to get paid more than that, but his contribution to Montreal could be huge.

The only way we get him is if he goes UFA. Like I've already said, we're the best of both worlds for him. Montreal is close to home for him, we have a perennial 35+ goal winger for him to play with, the best goalie in the world, a top 3 defenceman and we are on the upswing with all these guys heading into their prime. We are shedding Gilbert's contract this offseason and if we find a way to move Emelin, we'll have some cap room to play with. I wouldn't be surprised if we are on a short list of teams he would be willing to sign with. If the opportunity arises, we have to take a run at him. Guys of this calibre almost never become available until their late 30s.

I like the way you think! Can't Carey and P.K. call him up and tell him how awesome it is here?

Guest habs1952

Yes, his salary demands would be quite a big factor. But, we're talking about one of the prime forwards in the game. And it's not like Galchenyuk won't soon be seeking a deal worth $5 - $6 million. Obviously, Stamkos is going to get paid more than that, but his contribution to Montreal could be huge.

I think we could expect Stamkos to be looking for at least Toews/Kane type money (Both 10.5 mil cap hits).

Stamkos has a full NMC. So the truth is that he's not going anywhere this year unless he wants to go somewhere. And it really doesn't make a lot of sense for him to go anywhere. He's a UFA after this season, he's playing on a team where he's already the star, and he doesn't really have a reason to force a trade that would handicap his future team. So it makes more sense from his point of view to wait out this season and then choose where he wants to go for a long-term big-money deal in the summer.

So bottom line is that I'm not too worried about where Tampa wants to trade him or what they might ask for, because I highly doubt Stamkos will accept a trade and sign on where he's traded to before testing the UFA market. So the real question is whether Stamkos wants to come here and whether we can afford to squeeze him under our cap. On the former count, Toronto is the city everyone's talking about. Toronto's advantages are that Stamkos hails from that area and that their coach s Mike Babcock. But after that, they're a team that likely doesn't have a shot at winning a Cup in at least the next three years. So is Stamkos willing to give up three years of his prime for a rebuild? Personally, I'd be surprised.

We know this: Stamkos isn't happy with Cooper in Tampa, and Cooper is signed long-term. We know Stamkos wants to be a #1 center and in all likelihood, he wants to play for a team that has a shot at a Cup. So right away, we can likely cross out a dozen teams that aren't close to winning. We can also likely cross out teams like the Pens, Isles, Stars, and Hawks, who have #1 center fixtures long-term. Montreal is still one of the places that makes sense for him, and he's quite possibly a guy who'll want to stay in the same division to be able to get back at his old coach and team. To boot, we know Subban and Stamkos go back a ways and are buddies. I really wouldn't be surprised if Stamkos sees our line-up and thinks to himself that he can win Cups here with him as a #1 center.

The incumbent team usually has an inside edge on retaining its own stars (we've seen very few star players move teams in their prime in the cap era), but if Tampa really is on the outs, I think we have as good a shot as anyone else at signing him.

IMO, Stamkos holds all the cards.

He can:

1, Request a trade to say, the Habs (as we would have a pretty good shot of going deep in the POs. with him).

2, Wait it out and go the UFA route.

3, Sign with TB, and stay there.

4, Request a trade, after the signing and after July1.

Yzerman on the other hand,has these choices:

1, Ask Stamkos if he will wave his NMC, (or pick a few teams that he would be willing to go to). That way, TB gets something back.

2, Do whatever it takes to sign him and keep him in TB.

3, Tell Stamkos that if he signs, then Yzerman will trade him to wherever he wants to go to after July 1, thereby insuring that Stamkos plays in the POs, "if" TB makes it that far..

4.Not sign him at all, but Stamkos would play in the POs., but lose him to UFA.

"If" I were Stamkos, I would ask for a trade to a contender before the deadline, just so that I haven't wasted a another year in TB waiting for a cup.

"If" I were Yzerman, I'd opt for number 1.

There's a saying that if you're not in the PO picture by the American Thanksgiving,,, chances not very good that you will be by PO time. On Thanksgiving day,, TB wasn't in the PO picture.

Can confirm, Canadiens and Blue Jackets have discussed Ryan Johansen and more recently. Have no idea what other players were discussed.

Johansen would be cool.

Not sure what it would take. A draft pick, a prospect, and a roster player probably.

EDIT: Also, how dumb would Columbus have to be? They have players like Hartnell, Foligno, Clarkson, Dubinsky, and Saad eating up more cap space than Johansen... and he's the problem?

So bottom line is that I'm not too worried about where Tampa wants to trade him or what they might ask for, because I highly doubt Stamkos will accept a trade and sign on where he's traded to before testing the UFA market. So the real question is whether Stamkos wants to come here and whether we can afford to squeeze him under our cap. On the former count, Toronto is the city everyone's talking about. Toronto's advantages are that Stamkos hails from that area and that their coach s Mike Babcock. But after that, they're a team that likely doesn't have a shot at winning a Cup in at least the next three years. So is Stamkos willing to give up three years of his prime for a rebuild? Personally, I'd be surprised.

See this has been my thinking too. I really don't see him going to Toronto; the only glimmer of hope for Leafs fans being Mike Babcock. My one worry though is if he does agree to be traded, like you said, he would have to agree to go there, which means he would be very likely to consider resigning with that team. They also can offer him an extra year on his contract so that's another advantage for the team that manages to acquire him. I just don't see a trade for us that doesn't include Galchenyuk going to other way and even though it's likely he would resign if he agreed to be traded here, that's not a risk I want to take at all.

I would be much more interested in Johansen than I would be in Stamkos. I might be interested in Stamkos as a rental only (for a pick and prospect) but I'm not paying 10-12 million for him for the next 7-8 years. He just does not fit in our cap situation and he hasn't played great recently - there is even some question on whether he is really a center. Unless he really wants to play here and will to play at a discount (8-9 milion) he just doesn't fit.

Johansen won't cost as much, we can legitimately fit him into our cap situation without giving up any of our core. Yes in 2 years he's an RFA but at least then we will really know what we're paying for and how he fits in our lineup, its also when Pleks and Markov are pretty much done.

I would offer a first, second, Eller, and Tinordi as my opening. I'd consider adding Scherbak/McCarron but the I'm keeping my second and Tinordi.

I would be much more interested in Johansen than I would be in Stamkos. I might be interested in Stamkos as a rental only (for a pick and prospect) but I'm not paying 10-12 million for him for the next 7-8 years. He just does not fit in our cap situation and he hasn't played great recently - there is even some question on whether he is really a center. Unless he really wants to play here and will to play at a discount (8-9 milion) he just doesn't fit.

Johansen won't cost as much, we can legitimately fit him into our cap situation without giving up any of our core. Yes in 2 years he's an RFA but at least then we will really know what we're paying for and how he fits in our lineup, its also when Pleks and Markov are pretty much done.

I would offer a first, second, Eller, and Tinordi as my opening. I'd consider adding Scherbak/McCarron but the I'm keeping my second and Tinordi.

The speculation with regards to Stamkos is that his priority would be to go to a team that is ready to win now, with money not being his top priority. But yes, Johansen might be an easier deal to swing considering his value is lower than it has been in a while and Columbus isn't a division rival.

Ryan Johansen

Center -- shoots R

Born Jul 31 1992 -- Vancouver, BC

[23 yrs. ago]

Height 6.03 -- Weight 223 [191 cm/101 kg]

Apparently he and Torts don't get along too well, and he's a healthy scratch for tonight's game. According to sportingcharts.com, Johansen leads all Blue Jackets in giveaways with 18, turning the puck over at a rate of 0.58 times per game.

I'm a pretty big fan of what Ryan Johanssen brings to the table. But Columbus' GM is pretty sharp, so I doubt he'll let him go for anything less than he's worth. I just don't really know what we have to offer Clb. If they're dealing their premiere player, they likely want a proven NHLer back. I don't see us dealing any of Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, or Pacioretty for him. So are we offering Gallagher? Eller? Beaulieu? Petry? I doubt Plekanec or Desharnais interests them very much, and I doubt they'd be looking just for picks, especially not a 1st rounder that's not a lottery pick. I imagine if we were going to make a deal, it would take something like Gallagher, one of McCarron or Scherbak, and Tinordi to get it done...

I'm a pretty big fan of what Ryan Johanssen brings to the table. But Columbus' GM is pretty sharp, so I doubt he'll let him go for anything less than he's worth. I just don't really know what we have to offer Clb. If they're dealing their premiere player, they likely want a proven NHLer back. I don't see us dealing any of Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, or Pacioretty for him. So are we offering Gallagher? Eller? Beaulieu? Petry? I doubt Plekanec or Desharnais interests them very much, and I doubt they'd be looking just for picks, especially not a 1st rounder that's not a lottery pick. I imagine if we were going to make a deal, it would take something like Gallagher, one of McCarron or Scherbak, and Tinordi to get it done...

I wouldn't do it then. This is all predicated on the idea that they want to trade him. The GM in Columbus can't be that smart, he hired Torts.

Anyway, not trading any of the people you mentioned except one of McCarron/Scherbak and Tinordi and Eller. The rest of the guys are too good and on too good a contract

I believe Galchenyuk's name has been brought up a fair bit in connection with Johanssen. It's something to consider depending on what else is involved.

The problem I have with trading Galchenyuk is two-fold:

1. He's clearly the most talented forward on our roster. That doesn't necessarily mean he's the most productive nor that his game is complete as of yet, but he's got the highest potential on our squad to be a star. He's got the chance to be a true #1 center and to be a guy who plays the role of game-changer.

2. He hasn't yet been put in a position to maximize his skillset yet. He is only in his first year as a center, and he's spent half of this season getting 4th-line minutes from Therrien. I truly believe a team could slot him in as a #1 center and let him run and he'd put up 70 points. I have a real problem trading away players whose potential we are actively suppressing, but it has a real chance of backfiring in your face.

personally the only trade I would make with Galchenyuk in it brings Stamkos here. he is only 25 and is a proven star center. we give up some years but keep in Carey and Patches sweet spot.

Possibly, but the other factors in that case would be

1. Stamkos isn't signed past this year. So I wouldn't deal Galchenyuk for a rental. There would have to be a signed extension already in place.

2. Galchenyuk will be a lot cheaper. So we'd need to factor in what we could do with an extra 5M saved.

Not too worried about it. for a guy like Stamkos you pay what you have to for a proven super star much as i like Chucky i am not sure he will make it to Stamkos #'s and he is buddies with PK he plays center which is the only reason i bring Chucky into the mix they will want him to start with probably a pick and a prospect or a good Dman. I really don't think we could do better. i would wait till the end of the year but i would rather not risk losing a proven performer.

Not too worried about it. for a guy like Stamkos you pay what you have to for a proven super star much as i like Chucky i am not sure he will make it to Stamkos #'s and he is buddies with PK he plays center which is the only reason i bring Chucky into the mix they will want him to start with probably a pick and a prospect or a good Dman. I really don't think we could do better. i would wait till the end of the year but i would rather not risk losing a proven performer.

Typically the team that gets the best player in a trade wins the trade, but that's not always the case. Take the deal where we acquired Mark Recchi for John Leclair, Eric Desjardins, and Gilbert Dionne. Recchi was good, but LeClair single-handedly eclipsed him and Desjardins was a stalwart for the Flyers blue line for years. Similarly, Philly acquired #1 overall Eric Lindros, who was one of the most highly-touted players at the time. He had a great career, but Peter Forsberg was better in my view, notwithstanding the other players the Nords got their hands on. I have no doubt Stamkos could come in here and continue being a star. He might well score 45-50 goals for us. But if we're paying him 10-12M to do that, then how does that balance out the rest of the line-up? Say the options were Stamkos and Brian Flynn in your line-up or Galchenyuk and Gallagher in your line-up, for the same total cap hit. Yes, Stamkos might pot you 50 goals, but if Flynn is scoring 5, then I could argue Galchenyuk and Gallagher could out-produce them as a duo and they could do it without putting all your eggs in one basket (i.e. an injury to Stamkos hurts you more than an injury or slump to one of Gallagher or Galchenyuk). Just an example, but the point being that you have to consider the effects of Stamkos' salary on your line-up and not just his absolute talent level.

I'm also weary about trading Galchenyuk. I truly believe that if he goes to a team like Tampa (if Stamkos weren't there) and he was given 20+ minutes a night on the first line with quality linemates, he could put up 35-40 goals a year. Galchenyuk has fantastic production of points per ice time (Andrew Berkshire just made a post the other day showing his production per ice time is superior to Ryan Johanssen's when you compare their seasons when each was the same age). The major difference is that Johanssen was getting more and better ice time, so his end-of-season numbers look better. I think Galchenyuk has star potential and that he's under-valued right now because he's not being used effectively (less ice time than third liners, rotating wingers including 3rd and 4th liners, rotating positions, etc.)... I agree with you that there's no doubt Stamkos is the better player right now, but I believe that Galchenyuk is one guy on this team who could develop enough to be as good or better within a couple of years, and when you adjust for salary cap hits, I'm not sure trading Galchenyuk plus other assets for Stamkos is a good move for us.

i sure don't want to trade Galchenyuk but we need to do somthing to get some top notch talent here. look at Dallas lots of trades lots of talent even Chicago traded for Hossa it can be done and we have to if we want to win it all DD Wiesse Byron and Flynn are not going to do it. i would rather move Pleks but if it is him we won't get a superstar we just won't. we have one in net and on d Patches is not a superstar he is good just not in that top tier and it is showing a bit right now. if we could slot Stamkos on the first line with Chucky on the second Eller could either be the third line center or a top 6 wing. i think Stamkos would like to come here as long as we don't keep losing!

Archived