The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2015-16 If I Were GM...

BigTed3

The salary cap world makes being a GM a little trickier than it used to be. Not only do you have to find talent, you have to find a way to fit that talent under your cap. Think you can do a better job of that than Marc Bergevin? Do you have something to suggest to him in terms of a trade, signing, or draft choice? Go ahead and tell us what that is!

Capgeek may have closed, but below you'll find links to a couple of pages that can give you some information on teams' cap situations and impending free agents:

http://www.generalfanager.com/

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/teams.html

I think he's done a decent job of balancing both aspects so far.

I might try and move PAP to a team trying to reach the cap floor and maybe retain some salary rather then buy him out,,,,if possible.

If I were the GM of the Montreal Canadiens, this would be my blueprint to win a Stanley Cup:

a. Recognize that our current youthful core (Subban, Beaulieu, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, etc), will become our contending veteran core in the short term (2-4 years let's say).

b. That veteran core will need a young core (Scherbak, Hudon, McCarron, De La Rose, etc.) to step up beyond their years.

c. In 2-4 years, if it looks like the mix of veterans and youth is yielding a real chance at winning, start trading picks and/or prospects to fill immediate help, and make a push for the Cup until you either win or run out of cap space trying.

Now is not quite the time to go for it. We're getting really close though. The next decade of Montreal hockey should be very fun!

I think I agree.

We will win when Subban, Patches, Gallagher, Price & Galchenyuk become the veteran core. Not wiley vets, but some of them will be around 30. Unfortunately we seem to be wasting their "young" years, but I'm not sure they have the supporting cast to win it all right now anyway. Though, trading some picks for scorers, and better coaching could have changed that.

Every contender seems to have a veteran core and emerging youngsters. Hopefully, like you said, Scherbak, McCarron, DLR, Hudon, etc can be our group of youngsters that give us key scoring for cheap.

We're building a solid core right now. Its a work in progress. We likely could have been farther along right now with proper player/asset management, but we've still got time.

we could have had Hartley but nooo MT is signed cuz hes friends with rds cast.. I would find a new coach

i also would have went after brandon saad... im so sad we didint get saad.. :(

I would also stop over paying mediocre players. A la petry...

Saad traded by the Hawks to Columbus. Could MB have been in discussions over Saad and not Sharp?

Now Saad, I would have wanted !

we could have had Hartley but nooo MT is signed cuz hes friends with rds cast.. I would find a new coach

i also would have went after brandon saad... im so sad we didint get saad.. :(

I would also stop over paying mediocre players. A la petry...

Petry was our best D-man in the playoffs. He is no way mediocre. Markov has been mediocre for at least 2 years but we gave him that ridiculous contract. This isn't nhl15, sometimes they get the ratings wrong based on play from 5 years ago

Saad traded by the Hawks to Columbus. Could MB have been in discussions over Saad and not Sharp?

Yeah i was wondering that too - and it would have made a lot more sense and fit with Bergevin's philosophy more. That said, Columbus gave up a lot to get him & i dont think i would have wanted to match that with our young players (they most likely would have wanted Gallagher + Beaulieu + )

Yeah i was wondering that too - and it would have made a lot more sense and fit with Bergevin's philosophy more. That said, Columbus gave up a lot to get him & i dont think i would have wanted to match that with our young players (they most likely would have wanted Gallagher + Beaulieu + )

I think that's why you haven't seen MB make a move for a bigger name than Kassian this off season...In order for MTL to get bigger name it would take our big names in the form of Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Scherbak...In other words he'd have to give up the very core he's attempting to build the future of this franchise around.

I think that's why you haven't seen MB make a move for a bigger name than Kassian this off season...In order for MTL to get bigger name it would take our big names in the form of Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Scherbak...In other words he'd have to give up the very core he's attempting to build the future of this franchise around.

Not necessarily. We've seen players like Kessel and Oshie and Hamilton and Lucic moved, and the teams getting those guys haven't given up any sort of quality roster players in return. MB could probably swing a deal for a guy and give up a draft pick or prospect or non-core player and make it work.

We need to make a move that shows we're serious about winning. We have Price Subban and Pacioretty in their prime, and if we don't at least make a finals appearance before Price is out of his prime then our organization would have failed on a spectacular level.

Ya got that right.

We need to make a move that shows we're serious about winning. We have Price Subban and Pacioretty in their prime, and if we don't at least make a finals appearance before Price is out of his prime then our organization would have failed on a spectacular level.

I agree with this. The time to make an aggressive move is now, our core is in their prime (I'd add Petry and Gallagher to the guys you mentioned) and we should take full advantage of it. On paper, there aren't many teams in the East that are clearly above us. MB's philosophy of building through the draft is great but it's not like the cupboard was empty when he got here. We had a few great pieces in place and now are a much better team. Why not sacrifice a few picks and a prospect to get that elusive scoring winger? I really liked the Kassian deal but it remains a gamble. Having a legit scoring winger in addition to Pacioretty and Gallagher would change the complexity of this team and turn us into an immediate contender IMO.

Not necessarily. We've seen players like Kessel and Oshie and Hamilton and Lucic moved, and the teams getting those guys haven't given up any sort of quality roster players in return. MB could probably swing a deal for a guy and give up a draft pick or prospect or non-core player and make it work.

True, but look at, say the Kessel deal. If you compare the prospects Pittsburgh gave up it was akin to Scherbak/Maccaron + tinordi + pick. Would we do that?

Im not saying there werent deals to be made - there were - but the price may not have simply been roster players but rather some of our top prospects which i dont love giving away.

True, but look at, say the Kessel deal. If you compare the prospects Pittsburgh gave up it was akin to Scherbak/Maccaron + tinordi + pick. Would we do that?

Im not saying there werent deals to be made - there were - but the price may not have simply been roster players but rather some of our top prospects which i dont love giving away.

Well several people from Toronto have said they would have made the deal even without Kapanen and that he was an added bonus. Pittsburgh won the sweepstakes because they gave up something and were willing to eat more of the contract than other clubs wanted to. Harrington was not even Pittsburgh's best D prospect. So yes, you'd have to think we could have had Kessel for Tinordi + a 1st and maybe a mid-level forward prospect, not necessarily a Scherbak or McCarron.

So yes, you'd have to think we could have had Kessel for Tinordi + a 1st and maybe a mid-level forward prospect, not necessarily a Scherbak or McCarron.

if that was indeed the case (and Toronto would have actually made that deal) then yes i agree, we were foolish not to have attempted it.

On the plus side, at least we didnt just ship off our only really blue chip young defenseman because we thought we couldn't afford him only to see him turn around & sign a really nice low cap deal with the flames. :P

Last year we got it done despite very low goal scoring because of carey price. We can't expect him to have another year like last year to keep us afloat. Teams around us are getting better (PIT adding Kessel, WSH Osihe, Williams, DET Richards and Green, CBJ saad).

We need to add at least one scorer to keep up.

Last year we got it done despite very low goal scoring because of carey price. We can't expect him to have another year like last year to keep us afloat. Teams around us are getting better (PIT adding Kessel, WSH Osihe, Williams, DET Richards and Green, CBJ saad).

We need to add at least one scorer to keep up.

I'd rather use our division rivals as the standard, since the first goal is to win the division again and work from there. The playoffs are a different beast entirely... in terms of our closest rivals, I personally am not too scared of Detroit adding Richards or Green, both of whom are well past their prime and the latter of whom is a defensive liability. Detroit also lost Babcock, so I all in all I don't see them being too much better than they were last season. Boston's roster has taken some hits, and Florida hasn't made any significant strides towards making the playoffs outside of their core maturing a bit. Toronto remains in a rebuild mode, albeit I think they will make progress. And Ottawa hasn't made too many changes, nor do I see them being able to put together the same winning streak they put together last year. They'll be in the playoff hunt, but not a challenger for the division crown IMO. And Buffalo has made big improvements, but had a long way to go to begin with. I'm still not sold on their goaltending, and they're still very young.

So the bottom line is that while any one team could go on a hot streak and make the playoffs, the truth is that our main competition for the division remains Tampa Bay. They're a better team than ours, and that's really the gold standard of who we need to keep up with. I agree that Carey isn't likely to be as good as he was for another 82-game season, so that means there will need to be more offence. Even without more offence, I still see us making the playoffs on the strength of Carey, Subban, Petry, Plekanec, and so on, but we're in desperate need of another top 6 LW (if Galchenyuk moves to center) and another top 6 RW. That's two large holes to fill...

Well you can't keep all your quality prospects if you want to make a huge improvement. You have to give something to get something. Right now a lot of the mentioned prospect names haven't even made a lasting impression. Ofc you grow fond of every guy you drafted but if you want to wait until its more evident the player becomes great, average or a bust the other teams will know that too and evaluate accordingly or you find a GM who is dumb. Saad for example is still very young and you wouldn't deal Scherbak or McCarron for him? With Saad you already have a bigger picture about his skilllevel. Scherbak and McCarron are mostly unknowns. Of course lots of people are still hurt by the Ryan McDonagh fiasco. But we wont go anywhere if you discard this kind of deals completly. You just need a clever GM and good scouting staff.

Well you can't keep all your quality prospects if you want to make a huge improvement. You have to give something to get something. Right now a lot of the mentioned prospect names haven't even made a lasting impression. Ofc you grow fond of every guy you drafted but if you want to wait until its more evident the player becomes great, average or a bust the other teams will know that too and evaluate accordingly or you find a GM who is dumb. Saad for example is still very young and you wouldn't deal Scherbak or McCarron for him? With Saad you already have a bigger picture about his skilllevel. Scherbak and McCarron are mostly unknowns. Of course lots of people are still hurt by the Ryan McDonagh fiasco. But we wont go anywhere if you discard this kind of deals completly. You just need a clever GM and good scouting staff.

The McDonagh deal would have been fine if it wasn't such a stupid trade to begin with. The moment I heard it I was upset. I remember saying "We shouldn't even have given up Higgins, we should have got a draft pick just to take his contract".

I would definitely have traded for Saad. The only question is can he or Chucky play on the right side? Cause right now the left side seems to be our strength. People say it doesn;t matter but it seems to

To NSH:

Tomas Plekanec

Conditional 3rd Round Pick *3rd if Plekanec does not re-sign. Becomes a 4th if he does.

To MTL:

James Neal

Nashville's current top 2 centers are Mike Ribiero and Mike Fisher. Both are 35 years old. They need a C.

We need a top line RW. Neal could be that. We throw in the extra pick because Pleks will be a FA.

Unfortunately, we currently have a logjam of 3rd/4th line RWs, so it makes this trade unlikely.

Pacioretty-Galchenuk-Neal could do some damage.

To NSH:

Tomas Plekanec

Conditional 3rd Round Pick *3rd if Plekanec does not re-sign. Becomes a 4th if he does.

To MTL:

James Neal

Nashville's current top 2 centers are Mike Ribiero and Mike Fisher. Both are 35 years old. They need a C.

We need a top line RW. Neal could be that. We throw in the extra pick because Pleks will be a FA.

Unfortunately, we currently have a logjam of 3rd/4th line RWs, so it makes this trade unlikely.

Pacioretty-Galchenuk-Neal could do some damage.

Neal is a LW I believe. (I don't actually watch Nashville, they may well have used him on the right)

Aside from that, I think the valuation might be off.

Plekanec is another older C, on an expiring contract.

Neal has never scored less than 21 goals in a season, and is only 27 (in his prime).

Neal isn't a bad target, but I would think at least a solid prospect and non-conditional pick would be required.

(I wouldn't trade Pacioretty for Ribeiro and a conditional 3rd, and Ribeiro had 2 more points than Plekanec last season. Pacioretty would also have to score 40 goals in his next 81 games to equal Neal's accumulated career totals)

I'm not a fan of Neal, but I would happily give them DD or Pleks or Eller from the roster, any prospect not named Scherbak, and a pick depending on which other pieces they took (I wouldn't give up Plekanec, McCarron and a 1st, for example, but Plekanec, Lehkonen and a 1st or Plekanec, McCarron and a 3rd, would be fine with me). Basically I would give up a high prospect and low pick, or a low prospect and a high pick, not a high prospect and a high pick.

I would attempt to target Wayne Simmonds. :D

26 Yrs., 524 GP,,,139G, 145A, 3.2 mil., signed thru 2018. Ya I would do a trade with the Puffs for him. IMO, he's just hitting his stride. It would take at least 1 roster player (Eller, Pleks, or DD), a prospect or 2, and maybe a draft pick to get him, or more.

Archived