The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2015-16 Habs Lines

BigTed3

Time to draw up your lines.

- Who plays with Pacioretty?

- Does Galchenyuk play center or wing?

- Should Eller or Desharnais be higher up the line-up?

- Who plays 2nd-line RW behind Gallagher?

- Should Beaulieu or Markov be paired with Subban?

- How many games should Carey start this season?

Tough decisions to make, so make them...

Guest archey

Time to draw up your lines.

- Who plays with Pacioretty?

- Does Galchenyuk play center or wing?

- Should Eller or Desharnais be higher up the line-up?

- Who plays 2nd-line RW behind Gallagher?

- Should Beaulieu or Markov be paired with Subban?

- How many games should Carey start this season?

Tough decisions to make, so make them...

Or just pitch the puck from the corner and take a swing at it hoping to hit the goalie a few times during the game. :unsure: :unsure: :P

I think the option I like best is:

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Kassian

DeLaRose-Eller-SmithPelly

McCarron-Mitchell-Wiese

A few things I like about this option. First, I think this would be ideal for McCarron. He'd be brought along slowly on the 4th line, but Mitchell and Wiese are alot more skilled than your typical 4th liners. I think this could be a sneaky good line in terms of providing offence, and great for developing Big Mac.

While DD is not your typical top 6 center, there's no denying the chemistry he has with Pacioretty. Kassian isn't an ideal top 6 guy at this point either, but I think this would be a great way to maximize production, as this line is a good bet to produce 60+ goals.

The DLR-Eller-DSP line was awesome in the playoffs, even if they didn't score. 3 young guys who are big, but can also skate, hit, play in both ends, and chip in offensively.

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher could be the #1 line. All 3 guys are 2 way guys, and all 3 rank among our top 4 forwards. The only real downside here is that Galchenyuk and Plekanec have yet to click, but hopefully that comes.

1C: Galchenyuk

2C: Eller

3C: Plekanec

4C: Mitchell

I like DD best at 3L or on another team.

Our offense lacks top 6 depth, though. :mad:

Galchenyuk has struggled on the wing, he's not ready for #1 center duties at all.. good thing we got Plekanec though, but for some reason you have Plekanec 3rd??? Guy is our best defensive forward, our most proven centerman, and had 60 points last year.

I really doubt that Plekanec is a viable #1 Center anymore. Not sure about the lines. Really depends on somebody stepping up his game or make a big jump in his development process.

He's more of an ideal #2 sure, but he's way more viable, at least right now, than any other option within the organization.

Galchenyuk surpassing Plekanec defensively (top defensive forward on team) or offensively (60+ points) any time soon seems unlikely.

Guest habs1952

Galchenyuk has struggled on the wing, he's not ready for #1 center duties at all.. good thing we got Plekanec though, but for some reason you have Plekanec 3rd??? Guy is our best defensive forward, our most proven centerman, and had 60 points last year.

I think on any other team Galchenyuk would have been given a real opportunity, whether on the first line or third line, to develop as a centerman but for some inane reason the Habs won't give him that shot. His talents are wasted as a winger.

I think on any other team Galchenyuk would have been given a real opportunity, whether on the first line or third line, to develop as a centerman but for some inane reason the Habs won't give him that shot. His talents are wasted as a winger.

I think if you remove his draft status, and simplly look at his play, he'd been given more than a fair shake. Heck, he's entrenched in our top 6, and has been given numerous chances at center, despite some borderline healthy scratch worthy play at times.

What I think we'll see (although im still hopeful there will be some moves before October):

Pacioretty/ Plekanec/ Gallagher

Galchenyuk/Desharnais/Kassian

De la Rose/Eller/Weise

Flynn/Mitchell/Smith-Pelly

What I would like to see:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Kassian - The "potential" line. These are arguably the 3 players at each forward position with the highest ceiling. Patches is there, Galchenyuk is close & the verdict is still out on Kassian obviously.

Kid - Eller - Gallagher - Im not sure who the kid is yet (Hudon, Carr, Andrighetto?) but i know i want Eller and Gallagher together. The play extremely well together - its ridiculous how little they've been used on the same line.

Bournival - Plekanec - DLR - a line that can check any line in the league. This is not a demotion for Plekanec - i would play all 3 lines evenly - but rather using our 3 best centres in the most appropriate way.

DSP - Mitchell - Weiss - Hard hitting line that can probably chip in a few. Would get limited ice time but could be very effective & would not be scary regardless of who they match up against. All 3 can move up if necessary with injuries.

Not going to happen, but id love to see it.

I think if you remove his draft status, and simplly look at his play, he'd been given more than a fair shake. Heck, he's entrenched in our top 6, and has been given numerous chances at center, despite some borderline healthy scratch worthy play at times.

I strongly disagree with this. (To each his own)

Galchenyuk's last stinit at C included 13 pts in 10 GP (9 in 9), including a hat trick. For some reason he was then moved back to W. He really hasn;t played much at C.

I think he's played well at W and quite frankly just looks like a center. Watching him skate, carry the puck and pass, I think he has to get to the middle.

I still don't think Therrien will split up Pacioretty and Desharnais to start the year, and if he's not moving DD off the center spot, he's not putting Galchenyuk into a center role. If we are going to be using DD at center though, I think the best we can hope for is to have a big guy like Kassian on his wing.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Kassian

Galchenyuk-Eller-Scherbak

DLR-Plekanec-Gallagher

Bournival-Mitchell-DSP

What would be best for us is to move Galchenyuk to center, but if we're doing that, we really need to find a 2nd line left winger and most of our upcoming rookies are centers or right wingers.

If one of Reway, Sherbak, or Hudon make the big club this is what I would start the year with. I think Andrighetto and Weise are interchangeable, but if two of our youngsters make the big squad I believe Plekanec becomes expendable at 5 mil per year. Mitchell or Flynn could then be our extra forward as one would step into Plekanec's spot. We are starting to look pretty big up front. De La Rose would also look good with Galchenyuk and DSP. If Kassian struggles it will be easy to move him down the list. The big probelm comes if we don't have a couple of players ready to join the big club in the fall. We have the potential for developing a very balanced attack, but none of that will matter if the players can't score.

Lines

1) Pacioretty (LW) Desharnais (C ) Kassian (RW)

2) De La Rose (LW) Eller (C ) Gallagher (RW)

3) Reway/Hudon (LW) Galchenyuk (C ) Smith-Pelley (RW)

4) Hudon /Scherbak (LW) Plekanec (C ) Weise (RW)

5) Flynn (LW) Mitchell (C ) Andrighetto (RW)

On the backend I believe Gilbert, Barbeiro, and TInordi are next in line. I am not sure Markov is going to be able to play the minutes he has in the past.

Defensive pairings

1) Beaulieu (LD) Subban (RD)

2) Markov (LD) Petry (RD)

3) Emelin (LD) Pateryn (RD)

• 3 weeks later...

Working with what we have (assuming no more moves and no younger prospects making the line-up this year), I would like to see this:

Pacs - Pleks - Semin

Gally - Eller - Gallagher

DLR - Deharnais - Kassian

Weiss - Mitchell - DSP

extras: Flynn / Bournival

Gives us 4 good centres and 2 guys with size on each line

Eller gets a bigger role by re-uniting the EGG line

We can move Gally to centre later when our younger prospects (Sherback and/or McCarron) are ready to step into the line up

On D:

1st Pairing: Beaulieu and Subban

2nd Pairing: Markov & Petry

3rd Pairing: Emelin / Pateryn / Gilbert / Tinordi

I would say

Pacs-DD-Gallager

Gally-Pleks-Semin

DLR-Eller-Kassian

Weiss-Mitchell-DSP/Bournival

Flynn

First unit we already knows works, second unit Pleks helps Semins lack on D, Third unit Kassian helps on offense , forth can mix and match depending on opponent. There would have to be no "1" line. This spreads offense through out and speed and makes the team tough to play against

I would say

Pacs-DD-Gallager

Gally-Pleks-Semin

DLR-Eller-Kassian

Weiss-Mitchell-DSP/Bournival

Flynn

First unit we already knows works, second unit Pleks helps Semins lack on D, Third unit Kassian helps on offense , forth can mix and match depending on opponent. There would have to be no "1" line. This spreads offense through out and speed and makes the team tough to play against

totally disagree. dd pac gally doesn't "work" , our offense was our biggest problem last year. thats a line with 2 midgets who are easy to contain. i hated it every time we have used it.

we brought semin here to play on the 1st line or it was a stupid move.

i never liked pleks and galchenyuk together all year, they never looked good to me at any point in the year last year.

since our coach is who he is dd and patch will start the year together, with semin, (until he tries to deke someone out, loses the puck and never gets there again)

EGG should be a no brainer...but it wont happen. err actually captwelly, i gotta change my opening statement from i disagree to i dislike. i hate your lines (nothing personal :) but i think therrien will do what you just wrote to a T

what id like to see (assuming there are no more trades)

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Semin

Hudon - Eller - Gallagher

DLR - Plekanec - Kassian

Bournival - Mitchell - Weiss

What I think we'll see:

Patches - DD - Gallagher

Galchneyuk - Plekanec - Semin

DLR - Eller - Kassian

Flynn - Mitchell - Weiss

Pacioretty with either Desharnais or Plekanec, immediately lowers the potential production of the first line.

Playing Plekanec with Pacioretty only works because they decrease the production of the opposition as well. That is fine for playing close games or with a lead, but as we saw last season, we will struggle to score and be forced to lean heavily on Price until Pacioretty and Plekanec can find a way to score.

With Desharnais, you have slumps in production and place additional weight on Pacioretty. Desharnais has tunnel vision, is easily knocked off the puck, and passes up quality shooting opportunities too frequently.

If Semin plays like the elite talent he can be, perhaps one of those combinations could work. Two-thirds of the line sharing responsibility for creating offense (Pacioretty and Semin), and two-thirds shouldering the majority of the defensive responsibility (Pacioretty and Plekanec). Either way, we need to have, and be willing to use, an all out offensive line combination for games when Price, the PP, and Pacioretty, aren't enough to score goals.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Semin is the line we can ice with the best offensive potential. That's a scary amount of pure talent on one line. It would be a scary PP unit as well.

With Plekanec and Eller as our next 2 centers, and their lines shutting down the other team's top 2 lines while contributing some secondary offense, we have a variety of wingers to try.

Desharnais is the odd man out in just about every proposal. I don't think he is a good winger option (another semi-popular idea), which puts him playing center against opposition's 3rd/4th lines while insulated with wingers like DSP and Weise. He has actually performed well in limited samples in that role previously.

That would leave us without a "traditional" 4th line of purely grinders and goons, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. The role of a 4th line is not to bash and scramble, that's "old-time hockey". The job of the 4th line is simply to limit the damage for between 5-10 minutes a game so your special teams and offensive lines have an opportunity to catch their breath. Desharnais can hold his own in faceoffs and we have Plekanec, Eller, and Mitchell as center options if we're concerned about Desharnais getting stuck in his own end. Throw them out long enough to see if the puck is going to stay in our zone, then quick-change with Desharnais to get him on the ice heading in the right direction.

What I would like to see is Pacioretty, Galchenyuk and Semin, but i believe Semin is a huge defensive liability and may actually negatively impact Gally's move to center this year.So Pacioretty, Desharnais, Semin would be okay as we would have a good playmaker between two snipers. Our second line could be Galchenyuk, Plekanec and Gallagher, Third line Weise, Eller, Kassian and fourth line Mitchell/Weise, De la Rose, DSP.

What I would like to see is Pacioretty, Galchenyuk and Semin, but i believe Semin is a huge defensive liability and may actually negatively impact Gally's move to center this year.So Pacioretty, Desharnais, Semin would be okay as we would have a good playmaker between two snipers. Our second line could be Galchenyuk, Plekanec and Gallagher, Third line Weise, Eller, Kassian and fourth line Mitchell/Weise, De la Rose, DSP.

I like these lines also. DD worked between Pacs & Cole. He could be a great set up guy for Semin and Pacs and now the opposition couldn't focus purely on Pacs. Pacs is great defensivly and Semin is actually a + player career wise.

Now with Semin in the mix, I think the decision on what to do with DD and Galchenyuk gets even murkier. If, and that's a big if, Galchenyuk can show he's ready to be a top 6 centerman in all facets, I'd like to see:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Kassian (2 best forwards with Kassian there to do the dirty work, provide protection, and pot some goals)

Semin-Galchenyuk-Gallagher (Semin on offwing hopefully creates offensive dynamic with Galchenyuk, while Gallagher gives the line a conscience)

Desharnais-Eller-DSP (DSP and Eller bring size, talent and 2 way responsibility, while DD provides the offensive playmaking)

Wiese-Mitchell-????? (2/3s of 4th line in place, with spot for Hudon/Scherbak/McCarron/Holloway to battle for)

I actually look at Semin as a PAP replacement. It should be easier to get value from him at 1.1 mill then PAP at 4 mill ( although he's still on our books from the buyout). If the pick up bombs, then the minors await with little hit to our cap.

Adding Semin really gives us more options now, and I think it's looking more and more like we can ice quality players down the middle and on the right wing. Our left wing remains a glaring weakness unless a player like Hudon can step up. Semin's arrival effectively negates much chance of Scherbak making the team out of camp though, unless he or Semin can play the left wing effectively. I agree with Jedi's post above about what lines we're likely to see from Therrien, given that he likes to focus on Desharnais as his #1 center and likes to go back to what he's used in the past. What I'd personally like to see is this:

Pacioretty-Eller-Semin

Hudon-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Bournival-Plekanec-Kassian

DLR-Mitchell-DSP

Weise

As much as I like the idea of Galchenyuk playing with Pacioretty, I just don't see the scoring depth left over on other lines to make that happen. Splitting them gives Galchenyuk potentially easier match-ups as he draws into center, and it still leaves him with two scoring wingers. Eller has had good results in short stints with Pacman, and it gives us a line that can be thrown out in any situation. The 5 guys battling for the 3rd and 4th line winger spots are almost interchangeable at this point, but I've always liked Bournival and Plekanec as a combination, and I think Kassian is the guy who gets the first shot to show he can step up.

Adding Semin really gives us more options now, and I think it's looking more and more like we can ice quality players down the middle and on the right wing. Our left wing remains a glaring weakness unless a player like Hudon can step up. Semin's arrival effectively negates much chance of Scherbak making the team out of camp though, unless he or Semin can play the left wing effectively. I agree with Jedi's post above about what lines we're likely to see from Therrien, given that he likes to focus on Desharnais as his #1 center and likes to go back to what he's used in the past. What I'd personally like to see is this:

Pacioretty-Eller-Semin

Hudon-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Bournival-Plekanec-Kassian

DLR-Mitchell-DSP

Weise

As much as I like the idea of Galchenyuk playing with Pacioretty, I just don't see the scoring depth left over on other lines to make that happen. Splitting them gives Galchenyuk potentially easier match-ups as he draws into center, and it still leaves him with two scoring wingers. Eller has had good results in short stints with Pacman, and it gives us a line that can be thrown out in any situation. The 5 guys battling for the 3rd and 4th line winger spots are almost interchangeable at this point, but I've always liked Bournival and Plekanec as a combination, and I think Kassian is the guy who gets the first shot to show he can step up.

You had me excited there for a second, thinking Desharnais was traded! (Noting Weise as a spare but neglecting to put Desharnais down there with him).

I don't particularly like the idea of Galchenyuk centering Hudon/Gallagher. That might be a little too much responsibility initially, as Hudon is untested and Gallagher will normally be otherwise engaged (or getting bowled over). Pacioretty and/or Semin would at least take a share of the pressure and responsibilities. I will accept Galchenyuk in any center role at first, I'm just concerned that he wouldn't have the best chance for success with a different combination, and would quickly be thrown back to the wing as a result.

I've also felt Bournival played well with Plekanec. Wasn't convinced he should have been sent down last season. DLR was impressive at times, but I feel he was underwhelming in many areas, most of the time. Bournival - Plekanec - Kassian works for me, as does Eller with Pacioretty and Semin, which I would love to see, with the caveat about Galchenyuk in mind above.

We could put ...

Pacioretty - Eller - Semin

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher

Hudon - Desharnais - Kassian

Any combination of DLR/DSP/Mitchell/Weise

... to start the season and give Eller/Semin/Hudon a chance to find their footing before transitioning more to what you suggest.

I'm on board with the omission of Desharnais from the lineup as well, fwiw.

Desharnais is easily one of our twelve best forwards. He's probably one of our top 9 forwards. But it's just really hard to find a spot for him in the line-up, especially if the priority is to get Galchenyuk back onto a center spot. I omitted DD and Flynn because I don't really see roles for them on this team. If Hudon can make a push for a spot, it helps with our shortage of talent at LW and I think it makes DD expendable. Playing DD at left wing could also be an option though.

Archived