The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#27 Alex Galchenyuk 2015-2016

ColRouleBleu

Despite everything thats been said i have a sneaking suspicion he will be our #1 full time centre within a very short time (maybe even game 1) this year. I think he's going to be tried there in exhibition & if he does well, expect MB to trade a centre (DD?) if he hasnt already done so by that time.

Despite everything thats been said i have a sneaking suspicion he will be our #1 full time centre within a very short time (maybe even game 1) this year. I think he's going to be tried there in exhibition & if he does well, expect MB to trade a centre (DD?) if he hasnt already done so by that time.

I don't know about #1 but I too have that same feeling. Let's hope!

Jeez, you guys are awfully optimistic. :lol: I can see it being status quo in Therrien-town. Galchenyuk stuck on the wing, probably on the "second line..." Maybe even lower in the lineup. The other winger on the line will probably be Dale Weise.

I know it seems like nothing ever changes but remember that as stubborn and mind boggling as Therrien is, he does seem to give guys chances eventually. It took him too long but eventually PK got elite dman minutes. Eventually Beaulieu got promoted to the top 4 (while guys like Boullion, Weaver, Murray etc were abandoned). Pateryn got a shot. etc.

Im not the biggest Therrien fan in the world but he has to see the skill Chucky has. Eventually he will be used in a top line role. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be this year - especially now that MB has not gone out & got a band-aid solution via free agency.

I think your right in saying he has to see the skill. He has to be able to tell the NHL veteran this kid is replacing, sorry but the kid just outplays you night in and night out at your position. It is one thing to get a place in the line-up it is another to take the job of someone who has been playing a specific position in the line-up. He did move Desharnais and Eller last year and both appeared to respond well (no whining in the press), but Galchenyuk appears to be doing some of that now. I hope he can back it up in camp and earn the role.

I don't think he appreciates the role of a coach and he may learn the hard way toward the end of his career what it is like when the young guy comes in and takes his job.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a decent deal for us, but I really don't get the whole idea of giving stars like Subban and Galchenyuk bridge deals when they're likely to break out and you'll have to pay them big later, all the while giving a guy like Gallagher a long-term deal when he's most likely already giving you close to his peak performance. I don't see Gallagher producing much more than he already is, whereas Galchenyuk has enormous potential to be a 30-goal #1 center...

It's a decent deal for us, but I really don't get the whole idea of giving stars like Subban and Galchenyuk bridge deals when they're likely to break out and you'll have to pay them big later, all the while giving a guy like Gallagher a long-term deal when he's most likely already giving you close to his peak performance. I don't see Gallagher producing much more than he already is, whereas Galchenyuk has enormous potential to be a 30-goal #1 center...

I agree. I mean if everyone was getting bridges then I suppose you look at it as a team philosophical play that is a certainty but in light of Gallagher getting a 6 year deal right after his bridge, it seems odd.

Like JR said though, my guess his agent would have been pushing for either a 1 - 2 year deal or a way higher cap hit on a long term deal.

All the pieces are here; hopefully they're played right.

Not yet. As pointed out by Ted, LW skill depth remains to be fixed. Assuming Chucky plays centre, who else impactful after Pacioretty? If he doesn't, what about 3rd/4th lines? OK, DD and then? Please don't list the grinders and prospects.

LW skill depth remains to be fixed. Assuming Chucky plays centre, who else impactful after Pacioretty?

If Galchenyuk does indeed get the nod at centre, I believe that one of Plekanec, DD or Eller gets moved. One would have to assume MB would be looking for a LW in return. Plekanec could probably bring back a 2nd line LW with no problem (although i dont want to lose him) Eller should be able to also (but i also dont want to move him ideally). DD may or may not translate into a 2nd line LW. Depends on the team you are trading with but i think if you packaged him with a solid depth dman (Gilbert?) you could very well translate that into a 2nd line LW.

There's an outside chance we already have the player in our system - someone like Hudon for example. I feel confident with #1 LW (Patches) and #3 and 4 (Bournival, Flynn, DLR) its the #2 spot that is the only real question mark since there' such a drop off in skill between Patches and those other 3.

Assuming Chucky plays centre, who else impactful after Pacioretty?

At left wing? I'd admit not much else. But that really only concerns me for the 2nd line. I'm fine with the players jedi listed filling out our bottom 6 there. As far as 2LW, whether its Davy or someone else, we're okay at the other two positions- I'm not worried about it being a catastrophe.

Question: (hypothetical) so if Chucky is at, idk, 2nd line center, Pleks at first, Eller at 3rd, and Mitchell at 4th. Would DD at 2nd LW be a solid permanent choice instead of going out and finding one? I mean DD does set up goals pretty well.

Question: (hypothetical) so if Chucky is at, idk, 2nd line center, Pleks at first, Eller at 3rd, and Mitchell at 4th. Would DD at 2nd LW be a solid permanent choice instead of going out and finding one? I mean DD does set up goals pretty well.

I don't think that's a bad idea at all, depending on how the lines are structured and the role of that second line. Put him on a line built for secondary scoring and I think that he would do well.

When Galchenyuk got his shot at centring the line with Patches last year we all remember that they went on a bit of a scoring rampage. What sometimes gets lost in that, though, is that Desharnais also scored very well despite having been moved to the third line. DD gets a bit of a bad rap around here, it's true, but I think that pretty much entirely comes from his failing to meet expectations as a first line centre (which are expectations that we really shouldn't have of him given his history and his salary). We don't pay him like a first line player and when he's played anywhere other than the first line he's actually excelled - it was his great work on the fourth line under Cunneyworth that got him noticed and promoted to begin with.

So yes, I do think David could be a solid contributor to the team on any kind of secondary scoring line, whether as a centre or (just as likely, given the number of centres on our team) a winger.

Guest habs1952

I don't think that's a bad idea at all, depending on how the lines are structured and the role of that second line. Put him on a line built for secondary scoring and I think that he would do well.

When Galchenyuk got his shot at centring the line with Patches last year we all remember that they went on a bit of a scoring rampage. What sometimes gets lost in that, though, is that Desharnais also scored very well despite having been moved to the third line. DD gets a bit of a bad rap around here, it's true, but I think that pretty much entirely comes from his failing to meet expectations as a first line centre (which are expectations that we really shouldn't have of him given his history and his salary). We don't pay him like a first line player and when he's played anywhere other than the first line he's actually excelled - it was his great work on the fourth line under Cunneyworth that got him noticed and promoted to begin with.

So yes, I do think David could be a solid contributor to the team on any kind of secondary scoring line, whether as a centre or (just as likely, given the number of centres on our team) a winger.

A lot of animus is directed at DD but it's not necessarily directed at him personally. It's directed at his utilization as a first line center. I think most people, me included, who want him gone want to see Chucky centering the first line and the only way that will seem to happen is if DD is traded. Regardless of how we fared last year, I think we lost a full year of Chucky developing as a centerman.

A lot of animus is directed at DD but it's not necessarily directed at him personally. It's directed at his utilization as a first line center. I think most people, me included, who want him gone want to see Chucky centering the first line and the only way that will seem to happen is if DD is traded. Regardless of how we fared last year, I think we lost a full year of Chucky developing as a centerman.

Pretty much this. Desharnais is a very serviceable player, but he's not a first-line player nor a first-unit PP player and no matter where he is in the line-up, he needs insulation with at least one winger of size and one guy who can carry the puck into the zone. It's not a small order. So while DD definitely has skill, he's just a really hard guy to squeeze into the line-up, especially when you have three players on the team who are better at his position than he is.

This is a big year for Galchenyuk. If he can take over at centre Bergevin will have to decide fair value for re-signing/trading Plekanec, or Therrien will need to look at keeping one of Eller or Desharnais at centre. This training camp may be the most competetive in quite a while when it comes to playing top 6. Besides Patches, we do not have any other significant first liners and I believe this has been some of the problem. We basically have a 2A and 2B with Patches being the one making an A line. Semin/Kassian may help, but they are more likely to add to the problem. If Galchenyuk can pick it up we may have a legitimate first line with Patches and some good competition for a strong second line. If Galchenyuk can take on this added responsibility we may finally be able to put two effective scoring lines together and create some more scoring in our bottom two lines.

If he can't I believe our best chance is if one of our rookies ie. Scherbak/Hudon or another steps up and can take a top six position.

• 1 month later...

TSN:

"Bergevin also confirmed on Thursday that Alex Galchenyuk will play at centre this season, after much debate through last season and over the summer if he's ever going to play down the middle. The 21-year-old, who signed a two-year contract during the off-season, played his first three seasons at left wing.

He set career highs with 20 goals, 26 assists and 46 points last year and has 42 goals and 62 assists in 193 regular-season games."

Archived