The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#11 Brendan Gallagher 2015-2016

ColRouleBleu

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Having broken a number of fingers (some requiring surgery) its a tough one to call. Even if they have some magical healing process or space aged-splint, I would be very surprised to see him back in less than say 3 weeks and more likely it will be 5 or 6 weeks.

And yes, I agree with those who have said he's taken a step forward this year. The nice thing with a finger injury is that he should be able to keep his cardio levels up & stay in (more or less) game shape right until he's ready to come back.

Having broken a number of fingers (some requiring surgery) its a tough one to call. Even if they have some magical healing process or space aged-splint, I would be very surprised to see him back in less than say 3 weeks and more likely it will be 5 or 6 weeks.

And yes, I agree with those who have said he's taken a step forward this year. The nice thing with a finger injury is that he should be able to keep his cardio levels up & stay in (more or less) game shape right until he's ready to come back.

I think Montreal has mentioned he'll be out at least six weeks.

I would be surprised if Gallagher wasn't reprimanded. Organizations generally prefer you don't engage critics over social media. I also wish he hadn't responded. Acknowledging Kite's comments only brings him attention.

The fact that he lumped Gallagher and Marchand into the same group irritates me. They both make contact with goaltenders on a fairly regular basis, I'll give him that.

Gallagher will take a ton of abuse, sometimes using that as an excuse to push, nudge, or in extreme cases, fall on a goaltender, in hopes of helping the puck get into the net. He also works hard and does it all with a smile on his face.

Marchand doesn't take abuse well but is quick to throw a cheap shot (such as skating by with a knee to the head). If he has an opportunity to "accidentally" take a player out of the game, he will take it. He mostly floats around and uses his mouth, with what can generously be described as a "sneer" on his face.

I'm trying to recall if Gallagher has ever injured a goaltender or enacted a play that could be considered dangerous for a goalie?

He'll give a pad a kick, or take an extra jab at the puck, for sure, but has he ever straight up slashed, elbowed, kneed, or tackled a goaltender?

Even if Lundqvist sold that play the other night, for example, Marchand definitely performed a "drive-by" on him. There's a difference between a dirty play and bending the rules. I'd consider Marchand to be a dirty player, whereas Gallagher is more of an opportunist.

• 3 weeks later...

They're showing "The Road To The Winter Classic" on Sportsnet. They showed Gallagher with his left hand/fingers stitched up. The ring finger and baby finger had, from the first knuckle (near the palm), and like a V, at least 6-7 or so stitches from the knuckle to (approx 1-1 1/2 in.) above the fingers. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Archived