The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Michael Bournival

Signed to a 1 year, 2 way contract today. Would really like to see him given a shot to make the big club. If not he is sure to make it on another team.

Kind of surprised its a 2 way contract with such a low $$ amount. I would have thought it would have either been 2 way with more $$ or 1 way with less $$ but i guess they got him to sign for less than ideal for him.

I too think there's a place for him on this roster & hope he gets a fair shot to do so.

Agreed with the above. Bournival is one of our 12 best forwards and certainly one of our best 14. There is no reason for him to be in the minors and no reason he should have been behind Malhotra and Flynn on the depth chart last season. I like his speed, his forecheck, and his positional play, and given our lack of depth on the LW, I think he fills a void on the 3rd/4th line there nicely.

Kind of surprised its a 2 way contract with such a low $$ amount. I would have thought it would have either been 2 way with more $$ or 1 way with less $$ but i guess they got him to sign for less than ideal for him.

I too think there's a place for him on this roster & hope he gets a fair shot to do so.

The make-up of the deal may be indicative of how serious his injuries were last year. Bergevin may want to see him play a season wihout another concussion or at least be symptom free. Hopefully things work out for both sides.

• 4 months later...

Interesting. Hadn't heard anything about him for quite a while.

Out of curiosity, why is he in the "In The System" section?

He's part of the NHL roster, albeit on the IR.

Don't know why he was moved but i'll send him back.

No doubt he'll be sent down shortly. There's no way he gets into an NHL game without a conditioning stint in St. John's first.

While he might need a conditioning stint, it's not a given that he would accept one. He may be content to bide his time in the press box for as long as possible. More time to heal and get into shape before taking an injury risk.

Hard to know without having an idea of where he is at. Staff might even decide he doesn't need one (though I doubt that).

Guest habs1952

Was this his first or second concussion?

His second with the Habs. Don't know if he had any as a Junior. This one is taking a long time to recover from.

Hadn't considered he would simply be sent down without seeing where he is at. Deft move, as he is less likely to be claimed this way.

Thankfully he cleared waivers. Im not sure he'll ever be a top 9 player but he absolutely can be (at worst) a very effective, cheap 4th liner. He has a strong defensive game too, making me think 3rd or possibly even 2nd line is still a possibility if the concussion issues dont continue to plague him.

• 2 months later...

is his career over? I would like to see him back in Montreal, but f it takes this long to recover from a concussion he should retire

I think he's been back with the icecaps since December. (I am not sure why his thread isnt in 'in the system" but maybe he got recalled?)

He's a tricky one because he's a cheap, versatile forward who probably is as good if not better than some of our other bottom 6 guys but that concussion really set him back. If he's fully recovered id like to give him at least one more shot with the team, although bottom 6 LW is somewhere we are so overloaded on its tough to say where. I suppose you could try him at 4th line centre & move mitchell to RW.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest habs1952

I think he's been back with the icecaps since December. (I am not sure why his thread isnt in 'in the system" but maybe he got recalled?)

He's a tricky one because he's a cheap, versatile forward who probably is as good if not better than some of our other bottom 6 guys but that concussion really set him back. If he's fully recovered id like to give him at least one more shot with the team, although bottom 6 LW is somewhere we are so overloaded on its tough to say where. I suppose you could try him at 4th line centre & move mitchell to RW.

This last concussion has taken a long time to recover from. One more and he could suffer dire consequences in a few years. I wonder if his future is worth it.

• 4 months later...

Archived