The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#6 Greg Pateryn 2015-2016

ColRouleBleu

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a guy who hasn't gotten much talk for how he's played, but he's really been quite effective, outside of some rust in his first game. In a limited sample size, he currently has the best possession metrics on the team, with a 67% Corsi (meaning the Habs have two shot attempts for every one they allow when he's on the ice). He's done that despite only 40% O zone starts (one of the lowest percentages on the team) and he's thrown a number of monster hits. For a fraction of the cost, he's essentially doing what Emelin did...

Here's a guy who hasn't gotten much talk for how he's played, but he's really been quite effective, outside of some rust in his first game. In a limited sample size, he currently has the best possession metrics on the team, with a 67% Corsi (meaning the Habs have two shot attempts for every one they allow when he's on the ice). He's done that despite only 40% O zone starts (one of the lowest percentages on the team) and he's thrown a number of monster hits. For a fraction of the cost, he's essentially doing what Emelin did...

Well and despite Emelin looking more comfortable this year than he has in several Pateryn still looks better (albeit in a smaller sample size). You have to wonder if MB is at least kicking some tires with Emelin potentially available.

Well and despite Emelin looking more comfortable this year than he has in several Pateryn still looks better (albeit in a smaller sample size). You have to wonder if MB is at least kicking some tires with Emelin potentially available.

The things working against an Emelin trade are his recent injury and his NTC. But with the way Pateryn has played last year and this year, he's definitely an expendable commodity that allows you to save 3-4M to spend elsewhere. It also means you can realistically start working Tinordi in by dealing Emelin. The downside is that you give yourself much less buffer to be able to deal with an injury if you trade Emelin. We don't know if Tinordi is ready to play in the NHL and we don't have anyone else in Hamilton who is NHL ready right now either. so the major risk is that someone gets hurt, and MB panics and deals for a Murray or Allen type who is even worse than Emelin. It's a gamble. But I think Pateryn's play has at least opened the door to questioning whether Emelin should be a regular or whether Pateryn should be rotated in as well.

The things working against an Emelin trade are his recent injury and his NTC. But with the way Pateryn has played last year and this year, he's definitely an expendable commodity that allows you to save 3-4M to spend elsewhere. It also means you can realistically start working Tinordi in by dealing Emelin. The downside is that you give yourself much less buffer to be able to deal with an injury if you trade Emelin. We don't know if Tinordi is ready to play in the NHL and we don't have anyone else in Hamilton who is NHL ready right now either. so the major risk is that someone gets hurt, and MB panics and deals for a Murray or Allen type who is even worse than Emelin. It's a gamble. But I think Pateryn's play has at least opened the door to questioning whether Emelin should be a regular or whether Pateryn should be rotated in as well.

The way I see it is that Pateryn is more mobile than Emelin, and can hit like Emelin. "if" MB could find a trade partner for Emelin, Emelin would have to at least wave his NTC, (or pick some teams). MB would also, IMO, have to take back some of Emelins salary. Even if MB would take back 1 mil. of Emeilns salary, he would still be saving money. Emelin seems to me to be more of a "passive" D-man, whereas Pateryn is more aggressive.

JM2C

While he has been playing well, this may also be his best stretch of play to date. Difficult to determine whether his play is sustainable long term, but it is a positive indication that he has performed this well at a time when the team's performance has been less than ideal.

I don't consider him as a replacement for Emelin at this point. They are better on opposite sides. He may however, have surpassed Gilbert on the right side.

Gilbert has been negative possession and contributed very little production this season. Two areas where he is supposed to add positive value.

Moving Emelin in favor of Pateryn, without determining whether Tinordi is able to be called upon, will leave us in a situation of frequently playing a defenseman on his off side.

I do believe we can afford to move a defenseman. I just don't think it should be viewed as a Emelin or Pateryn situation, but rather improving our lineup and resolving the issue of Tinordi not getting any ice time.

We do still have Barberio in the AHL as a backup option, which I feel mitigates the risk at least somewhat. We also have yet to use our 8th defenseman, meaning we have wasted a roster spot for a quarter of the season so far. We would have to have 3 defensemen out of the lineup at the same time before I feel we have exhausted our depth and had to get creative.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived