The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#58 Sven Andrighetto 2015-2016

ColRouleBleu

• 4 months later...

There are non-Semin possibilities, but they are less likely.
Mitchell could be out for a bit or someone else could be hurt.

It could be a trade showcase.

Maybe someone other than Semin is going to the doghouse this time.

Sorry, that last one made me crack up, I think I'm okay now.

If it is as a replacement for Semin, then I think it is fair to say that his performance tonight wouldn't have mattered at all and the decision had already been made. He only got into the lineup by default.

On the plus side, we've been waiting for someone different to get a look. I'm excited to see Andrighetto given an opportunity and hope he runs with it. As long as he is coming in to play where needed (Galchenyuk's wing), I'm happy.

If he ends up in the bottom 6 or doesn't get any ice time, I'll be upset. :angry:

There are non-Semin possibilities, but they are less likely.

Mitchell could be out for a bit or someone else could be hurt.

It could be a trade showcase.

Maybe someone other than Semin is going to the doghouse this time.

Sorry, that last one made me crack up, I think I'm okay now.

If it is as a replacement for Semin, then I think it is fair to say that his performance tonight wouldn't have mattered at all and the decision had already been made. He only got into the lineup by default.

On the plus side, we've been waiting for someone different to get a look. I'm excited to see Andrighetto given an opportunity and hope he runs with it. As long as he is coming in to play where needed (Galchenyuk's wing), I'm happy.

If he ends up in the bottom 6 or doesn't get any ice time, I'll be upset. :angry:

At this point, I don't care about Semin anymore, I barely noticed him again tonight. It's good that we're calling up some young players to give them a shot.

At this point, I don't care about Semin anymore, I barely noticed him again tonight. It's good that we're calling up some young players to give them a shot.

Agreed. If we simply got rid of Semin and started trying some other options, it would make a lot more sense than our current management strategies.

We can try Andrighetto, Hudon, McCarron, and Scherbak without the risk of waivers.

Thomas and Holloway are the other options that make the most sense, but aren't waiver exempt.

Andrighetto is the logical choice to try first, and it is nice to see us make logical decisions.

He only played 94 mins at 5 on 5 in his 12 game stint last season (averaged <8 mins / game).

The only players he spent more than 25 mins with were Sekac, Bournival, Plekanec, Malhotra, and Weise.

Of those 5 he was only negative in possession with Sekac and Malhotra (50% corsi with Bournival).

He had a positive on-ice goals for percentage with all of them except Malhotra, no goals against with Plekanec, Sekac, and Weise.

He has 6 goals and 9 assists for 15 points in 17 games with the Ice Caps this year.

Small sample, but some positive signs.

I thought Semin was quite noticeable, especially given how little ice time he had. He led the team in Corsi and was on the ice for 13 shot attempts for, as well as 8 scoring chances for. Among forwards, only Galchenyuk was on the ice for more chances for (with 9) and some of those came with Semin on as well. Semin's linemates (DSP and Flynn for the most part) posted possession metrics well above their season averages. DSP's numbers also dropped in the 3rd once his line was changed, for what it's worth. For the season, Semin now sits third on the team in puck possession and 5th among forwards in scoring chances percentage.

I obviously can't change what any given fan notices or doesn't notice, but I think those numbers would indicate that Semin is doing plenty of things well that people aren't appreciating. But just because the good things he does don't translate into highly exciting plays, doesn't mean he isn't making a positive contribution. Just because he doesn't expend the energy that a Gallagher or Weise does, doesn't mean he isn't trying and doesn't mean that he's not equally effective.

Now all this being said, it is completely possible that Andrighetto could be just as effective as Semin. He could be better. But that doesn't change the fact that Semin has been given a short straw by Therrien, and it doesn't change the fact that Semin has been doing a lot of positive things that go unnoticed and unrewarded. I have nothing against Andrighetto or any other potential call-up, and it would work out for the best if we got a skill player Therrien would actually be willing to use correctly. But history tells us Therrien has pigeon-holed Briere, Sekac, PAP, Diaz, and others the same way he did Semin. So this has much less to do with a player not performing or not being noticed and much more to do with a coach not getting the most out of his players.

I thought Semin was quite noticeable, especially given how little ice time he had. He led the team in Corsi and was on the ice for 13 shot attempts for, as well as 8 scoring chances for. Among forwards, only Galchenyuk was on the ice for more chances for (with 9) and some of those came with Semin on as well. Semin's linemates (DSP and Flynn for the most part) posted possession metrics well above their season averages. DSP's numbers also dropped in the 3rd once his line was changed, for what it's worth. For the season, Semin now sits third on the team in puck possession and 5th among forwards in scoring chances percentage.

I obviously can't change what any given fan notices or doesn't notice, but I think those numbers would indicate that Semin is doing plenty of things well that people aren't appreciating. But just because the good things he does don't translate into highly exciting plays, doesn't mean he isn't making a positive contribution. Just because he doesn't expend the energy that a Gallagher or Weise does, doesn't mean he isn't trying and doesn't mean that he's not equally effective.

Now all this being said, it is completely possible that Andrighetto could be just as effective as Semin. He could be better. But that doesn't change the fact that Semin has been given a short straw by Therrien, and it doesn't change the fact that Semin has been doing a lot of positive things that go unnoticed and unrewarded. I have nothing against Andrighetto or any other potential call-up, and it would work out for the best if we got a skill player Therrien would actually be willing to use correctly. But history tells us Therrien has pigeon-holed Briere, Sekac, PAP, Diaz, and others the same way he did Semin. So this has much less to do with a player not performing or not being noticed and much more to do with a coach not getting the most out of his players.

Last month or even last week I would have agreed with you but I've been paying close attention to Semin and despite the Corsis and Smorsis, (not trying to be rude here) I see Chucky and Eller busting their humps to get to loose pucks and forecheck hard when the puck is turned over and I see Semin coasting. I don't care how much time he had the puck on his stick he doesn't seem to fit in with the character of this team.

Expending energy like Gallagher and Wiese seems to be the team motto. It's not only those two, it's everyone on the team except for Semin. Everyone is commenting how good DSP is playing, despite not having put up a lot of points. Reason they're saying that is because he looks possessed out there every shift and hungry for the puck.

Before you tell me that Semin is a goal scorer and shouldn't have to play hockey like that, look at how Patches plays, who is amongst the top goal scorers is the league hustles on the forecheck and backcheck. Whether we like it or not, this is the identity of this team and guys like Semin either play like everyone else or find another team. I feel he's gotten a fair shake, he's played plenty of games to start the season and fit in but he hasn't. I'm very critical of Therrien and his coaching style but I don't blame him for his treatment of Semin.

Guest habs1952

Last month or even last week I would have agreed with you but I've been paying close attention to Semin and despite the Corsis and Smorsis, (not trying to be rude here) I see Chucky and Eller busting their humps to get to loose pucks and forecheck hard when the puck is turned over and I see Semin coasting. I don't care how much time he had the puck on his stick he doesn't seem to fit in with the character of this team.

Expending energy like Gallagher and Wiese seems to be the team motto. It's not only those two, it's everyone on the team except for Semin. Everyone is commenting how good DSP is playing, despite not having put up a lot of points. Reason they're saying that is because he looks possessed out there every shift and hungry for the puck.

Before you tell me that Semin is a goal scorer and shouldn't have to play hockey like that, look at how Patches plays, who is amongst the top goal scorers is the league hustles on the forecheck and backcheck. Whether we like it or not, this is the identity of this team and guys like Semin either play like everyone else or find another team. I feel he's gotten a fair shake, he's played plenty of games to start the season and fit in but he hasn't. I'm very critical of Therrien and his coaching style but I don't blame him for his treatment of Semin.

My feelings also.

"He's a goal scorer and shouldn't have to play that way" would actually be a fair argument in my book. But he's not scoring. Maybe not getting a fair shake as far as minutes go, but he was earlier in the year to no avail. I'd like to see him get a couple games in with fair minutes on a top 6 line, but if it doesn't get him going, I won't be indignant at Therrien going with other options. Holloway, for example, could be the guy that works it. We'll see tonight.

Therrien is clearly going to have some tough decisions to make with this player. He appears to fit in well with our style of play.

He looked pretty good last time as well, but then he was dropped down the depth chart into a position he wasn't suited to play.

The real test will be when his production cools off, will he be given some patience and encouragement, or will he be discarded in favor of a 4th liner?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived