The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2015-2016 Supplementary discipline hearings

• 2 weeks later...
Los Angeles Kings forward Milan Lucic will have a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety on Sunday for an incident with Arizona Coyotes defenseman Kevin Connauton during a game Saturday at Gila River Arena.

The incident occurred at 6:55 of the third period. Lucic was assessed a two-minute minor for roughing and a game misconduct. Connauton, who received a minor for slashing, remained in the game after serving the penalty.

Los Angeles Kings forward Milan Lucic will have a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety on Sunday for an incident with Arizona Coyotes defenseman Kevin Connauton during a game Saturday at Gila River Arena.
The incident occurred at 6:55 of the third period. Lucic was assessed a two-minute minor for roughing and a game misconduct. Connauton, who received a minor for slashing, remained in the game after serving the penalty.

He got one game.

No doubt in my mind he would have received zip if he still wore the Bruin jersey. He's gotten away with way worse in the black and gold.

No more Jacob to protect his dirty butt now.

The league announced Tuesday that Ducks forward Shawn Horcoff has been suspended for 20 games, without pay, for violating the terms of the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program.

Based on his average annual salary, Horcoff will forfeit $357,526.88.

On Wideman,,,,

Wideman says he apologized to Henderson the first opportunity he got.

First opportunity was while he was standing right over top of him. I sure didn't see one. He never even slowed up to see the damage he did.

Guaranteed 10 games or more.

On Wideman,,,,

Wideman says he apologized to Henderson the first opportunity he got.

First opportunity was while he was standing right over top of him. I sure didn't see one. He never even slowed up to see the damage he did.

Guaranteed 10 games or more.

Looking it up, it's a minimum 20 in the rulebook (40.2)

I don't know if the NHL knows what to do with the Wideman hit. Wideman was clearly wobbly after bouncing his head off the boards (albeit this looked like a clean hit by Nashville with an unintended head injury). However, despite his argument that he didn't know what was happening, he was skating in a straight line with his head up and had ample time to see and prepare for the linesman being in his way. He also seems to get his arms out and drive into the linesman. I have no idea why Wideman made the hit. That's what makes it tricky. There isn't really a conceivable reason for Wideman to want to take out a linesman, which almost makes his excuse that he wasn't of the right mind believable, except that his hit looks quite deliberate. Given that Wideman didn't undergo concussion protocol and wasn't deemed bad enough by his trainers, I think the NHL has to believe he was sound enough to have seen the linesman properly. I would agree that this is going to be at least 10 games. The 20 game rule, to my knowledge, only applies if the player received a game misconduct, which Wideman did not.

Also, on the same night, Milan Lucic sucker punched a linesman during a scrum. Possibly an accident, but Lucic just got back from suspension and he hit the linesman pretty hard in the face. I would argue this too needs to be a suspension, just because Lucic has been suspended for so many after-the-whistle and cheap shot type plays like this. I say he should get 3 games.

After reading thru all of Kerry Fraser's explanation for the hit by Wideman, Here's his conclusion:

"I determine that Wideman’s needless and dangerous shove from behind with total disregard for the safety of the linesman to be worthy of a suspension not less than 10 games under Rule 40.3—category ll."

Henderson spent time at a Calgary hospital after the game.

The hearing will likely take place in person on Tuesday or Wednesday.
On Lucic's punch to the face of linesman Jay Sharrers, here's the vid:
Slo-mo is at areound 48 secs.

Philadelphia Flyers blueliner Radko Gudas won’t face further discipline for clipping Montreal’s Lucas Lessio in Tuesday night’s game. Gudas came in low, connecting with the left knee of the Canadiens player.

:angry: ,,, so now everyone will get a free pass for this dirty hit?

Archived