The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Tomas Fleischmann

We all knew it was happening. Now official.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=781618&navid=DL|MTL|home

Agreed... although I must say I'm still not convinced this is the right move (adding a player on tryout vs. someone in the system being given the same opportunity).

So far he and Semin look okay. The proof will come at the half way mark when the season gets tougher and their pay stays the same. I hope they both work out and get another one year deal if warranted, but think Bergevin has done a masterful job at buying our young forwards a little more time to grow in the minors. Come playoff time some youngsters may be knocking at the door.

I think the best part of this signing is that it ends the reign of DD as our #1 center,,,,at least in the immediate future.

I fully understand your reasoning but im not sure anything can truly end DD's reign at #1C, short of him being traded (or MT being replaced). Its a crutch that will always be available i think. Once the season starts I could very easily see Fleischmann-Plekanec-DLR or something as our checking line with Patches-DD-Gallagher reunited at #1.

that said, Fleischmann gives us some nice flexibility and as mentioned, is an absolute steal of a contract for what he can potentially bring.

I fully understand your reasoning but im not sure anything can truly end DD's reign at #1C, short of him being traded (or MT being replaced). Its a crutch that will always be available i think. Once the season starts I could very easily see Fleischmann-Plekanec-DLR or something as our checking line with Patches-DD-Gallagher reunited at #1.

that said, Fleischmann gives us some nice flexibility and as mentioned, is an absolute steal of a contract for what he can potentially bring.

Absolutely. I think the first time our team hits troubled waters in the scoring department, you're going to see Therrien shake things up by reuniting Pacman and DD. It doesn't matter if the current Plekanec and Galchenyuk lines each score 30 goals in the first 20 games - if they hit a 5-game skid where they don't score at all and we lose a bunch of games 2-0 and 3-1, I really think DD will be promoted right back up like he has been in the past. It's at least nice that a guy like Fleischmann exists so that we don't see a player like Eller languish on the 3rd line with no scoring linemates like he did last year, but then again, we had Sekac to start last season and he was cast off pretty quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my concerns about signing Fleishman have gone. As a matter of fact my new question is a positive one... should he be given a chance on the power-play?

At this point, I don't think there's a logical reason to not try almost anything on the power play. But yes, I think he should get a shot.

High end free agency is also not usually a great idea. Teams regularly get burned signing the top tier players to retirement contracts. Not that we'll be seeing much of that in Montreal anyway. Unless the NHL goes to a luxury tax system or starts measuring cap hits in pretax US dollars, don't expect a Canadian team to land a high profile free agent without basically destroying its cap flexibility.

I posted in another thread that I am not at all surprised by his speed and hands but what has shocked me so far is his defensive play. Earlier in his career he coasted on the back check but no more - he is a bonefide 2 way forward and really really great value.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived