kinot-1

safe_image_zpsc7798744.png

TONITE, OUR

images_zps0ab8947c.jpg

VISIT OV AND THE CAPS

Capitals.gif

7:00 PM CBC,NHLN, US,TVAS,CITY,CSN-DC, TSN Radio 690

STUFF

Over the past ten games, the two teams are on the opposite end of the standings. Montreal, at 1-9-0 in their past ten, is dead last in the NHL over that span. On the flip side, the Caps are 8-1-1 and have won six straight, both tops in the league in that time.

Montreal’s blueline may have some changes coming from their last game, a 2-1 loss at the hands of Minnesota. Jeff Petry, who has missed the last two games, was skating earlier in the week and may be ready to return. Tom Gilbert will not play after leaving early against the Wild due to a lower body injury. Greg Pateryn will likely draw back in either in place of Gilbert or Jarred Tinordi; the 25 year old last saw game action back on December 10th.

Will the Habs be suffering from holiday hangover,,, or will they rise to the challenge?

The Capitals’ power play ranked at or near the top of the league for three straight seasons, the 1-3-1 formation predating even Coach Barry Trotz.Trailing Tampa Bay Lightning, 3-0, last Friday, the Capitals clawed their way back into the game with three power-play goals, eventually winning, 5-3. They scored two power-play goals against the New York Rangers two nights later, and after being down, 3-1, they won, 7-3.

Projected Montreal Lines:

Max Pacioretty – David Desharnais – Dale Weise

Tomas Fleischmann – Tomas Plekanec – Paul Byron

Lars Eller – Alex Galchenyuk – Daniel Carr

Brian Flynn – Torrey Mitchell – Devante Smith-Pelly

Nathan Beaulieu – P.K. Subban

Andrei Markov – Jeff Petry

Alexei Emelin – Greg Pateryn

Mike Condon

Projected Washington Lines:

Alexander Ovechkin – Nicklas Backstrom – T.J. Oshie

Marcus Johansson – Evgeny Kuznetsov – Justin Williams

Jason Chimera – Jay Beagle – Tom Wilson

Brooks Laich – Michael Latta – Andre Burakovsky

Nate Schmidt – John Carlson

Karl Alzner – Matt Niskanen

Dmitry Orlov – Taylor Chorney

Braden Holtby

kinot-1's GDT Record 8-3-1

Loving the D pairings. Not loving the forward lines at all. Why Byron remains in the top 9 is beyond me. Why there's a 4th liner on eah trio makes no sense. Why Andrighetto is not playing is bizarre. And don't get me started on ice time distribution...

But,,,but,,,but,,,Byron is our top goal scorer in Dec. B)

I'm in the process of automating my gameday briefing posts, so I won't have one today. But I'll summarize: Washington is good, but they're also on a fantastic run at the moment. We're good but monstrously unlucky. A good portion of that is likely non-random and induced by personnel, deployment, and tactical decisions, but either way it's not great at the moment.

I'm in the process of automating my gameday briefing posts, so I won't have one today. But I'll summarize: Washington is good, but they're also on a fantastic run at the moment. We're good but monstrously unlucky. A good portion of that is likely non-random and induced by personnel, deployment, and tactical decisions, but either way it's not great at the moment.

Thank you,,,,you know who.

Must be a mod thing.

Loving the D pairings. Not loving the forward lines at all. Why Byron remains in the top 9 is beyond me. Why there's a 4th liner on eah trio makes no sense. Why Andrighetto is not playing is bizarre. And don't get me started on ice time distribution...

Tell us how you really feel :P

This is actually a bit of a trap game for Washington. The Caps have to be feeling good about themselves right now, they're at home, and they're looking across the ice at a team playing without its MVP goalie and on a horrendous losing skid. The tendency would be to think, we play our game and we got this.

On Montreal's side of the ice, there are personnel deployment issues but the injuries really aren't playing as big of a role as that. I think the big problem is that we're putting the wrong guys on the ice in the wrong combinations, such that we have really fast and/or smart players (Flynn, Byron, Weise, Carr, etc.) who are getting set up by talented players (Plekanec, Desharnais, Galchenyuk, Eller, etc.) for chances but aren't converting on these chances because they lack the shooting skill to do so. I think this largely accounts for our domination in shots and chances but lack of finish.

What do the Habs need to do to correct this? They need to fix their lines, first of all. But short of that, they need to capitalize on the PP when we actually have talent pooled together and they need to be able to score first and take a lead. I think if the Habs can get on the board first tonight, it'll be a great confidence boost and perhaps rejuvenate a little of the mojo we add earlier in the season. I've been pessimistic about the Habs chances in December, and predicted no more than 4-6 points on the 9 game road trip (thus far 0 pts in 5 tries)... but IF we can get momentum early, this is a game that could easily get us back on track as a surprise win.

FWIW,,, DD practiced on the point today on the PP, but he may or may not play there during any PPs in tonite's game.

He played on the PP point last game already. It's a bad idea. He has zero inclination to shoot, so it just means the other team can leave him alone and match up 4-on-4.

I don't have it ready yet, but I'm working on being able to produce useful and hopefully interesting info about players when I generate the Corsi graphs. Ice times, our best/worst possession players, rates, and so on. It might be ready for the end of the game. Or the second intermission if it's a particularly brutal one.

I don't have it ready yet, but I'm working on being able to produce useful and hopefully interesting info about players when I generate the Corsi graphs. Ice times, our best/worst possession players, rates, and so on. It might be ready for the end of the game. Or the second intermission if it's a particularly brutal one.

Just what I need,,,,,,,,,,, more confusion. :blink:

Archived