The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Kassian Traded to Edmonton for Ben Scrivens

BigTed3

Well, by the looks of it, goaltending has been identified as our most pressing issue. Not sure I can agree with that and I don't think Scrivens can be seen as a a major upgrade on Condon/Tokarski. Wasn't Khudobin on waivers recently?

Not sure about it being an underlying comment on Carey Price's condition,,,,hopefully not. I have to believe it was more a case of unloading a problem player, rather then seeing him sent to the farm and exposing his issues to the kids down there.

Not sure if this saves us some Cap room ( i hear talk of 400K) as the Oil also retain a quarter of the salary.

So in effect the initial trade now stands as Prust for 3/4 of Ben + a 5th rounder.

Scrivens is getting 2.3 m and Kassian 1.75 m., with both contracts expiring after this season. The Oil retaining a quarter, pretty much makes the Cap hit a wash, by my calculations.

Scrivens stats as an AHL backup are 3.47 and 0.893. For comparison the Bakersfield starter is sitting at 2.47 and 0.928. So a failing AHL backup is coming in to be our savior.

Anybody (Hab management included) who believes Scrivens is coming in to be our saviour, likely needs to go through the NHL substance abuse program. :P

Looking into this deeper,,,, looks simply like an exchange of problems (both of which go away after this season).

I don't like this, because as I see it there's three possibilities here:

1.)MB leaped at the first chance to get rid of Kassian, and thus took an underwhelming return. Then again he's been fleecing people non-stop since he got the job, so maybe it's just evening out.

2.)Bergevin and/or ownership believes this nightmarish last month is about goaltending. It's quite obviously not. If Bergevin is willing to make this move, does it mean Therrien still has more room to hang on? How is that possible?

3.)No one has any evidence for this, including me, so take it as a total hypothetical. If it means Carey's health situation is significantly worse, that's season over, full stop. If Carey needs surgery and might not play until later in the season (if at all), we should be strategically tanking, not futilely trying to zap life back into this potentially awful season.

But none of this has anything to do with Ben Scrivens, who I wish nothing but luck as a member of the Montreal Canadiens.

Not only is Scrivens sporting a sub-.900 Sv% in the AHL and not only is that .35 base points lower than his goaltending partner, he was also sub-.900 last year in the NHL. He hasn't been very good at any level recently. Hard to see how he's an upgrade. More hoping a change of scenery will help him greatly...

Not only is Scrivens sporting a sub-.900 Sv% in the AHL and not only is that .35 base points lower than his goaltending partner, he was also sub-.900 last year in the NHL. He hasn't been very good at any level recently. Hard to see how he's an upgrade. More hoping a change of scenery will help him greatly...

Certainly appears like the organization has totally given up on Tokes.

Maybe he will take Tokarski's spot for now as the back-up to Condon.

I'm not surprised in the least that Zach wasn't given a shot post rehab. There was just too much distraction in his case, to add to our current woes. I imagine the media was ready to jump all over his return.

Maybe he will take Tokarski's spot for now as the back-up to Condon.

He is backing up Condon. Tokes has been sent down.

We might see him in action tomorrow on the B2B vs Florida.

I'm not surprised in the least that Zach wasn't given a shot post rehab. There was just too much distraction in his case, to add to our current woes. I imagine the media was ready to jump all over his return.

He is backing up Condon. Tokes has been sent down.

We might see him in action tomorrow on the B2B vs Florida.

TSN radio is sayin that he will.

I don't like the implications of this trade.

If we believe goaltending is our issue, we have some serious delusions.

I'm tired of us making moves to appease Therrien's vision. At what point does he become accountable?

I don't care if Kassian was never going to play a game for us, literally any forward or pick would have been a better trade.

The only way this helps us is if Price is out for the rest of the season and Scrivens plays the majority of the games to help us tank. :P

Well Bergevin's options were

1. Keep Kassian and play him

2. Trade Kassian for a small return

3. Trade Kassian for Scrivens

The first two options actually seem more favorable to me. We were never going to get a top 9 RW in exchange for Kassian, so the only way to solve our RW woes without another trade was to actually give Kassian a shot. The other option was to deal Kassian for something else. Bob McKenzie and others have reported there were multiple offers for Kassian, including mid-round draft choices. Could one of those picks have been a better pick up if we simply wanted to get rid of Kassian? Probably.

So the question is what Scrivens brings. I look at his numbers and can't see how he brings anything we don't already have from Condon or Tokarski. His NHL numbers have been bad, save for one decent year as a back-up in LA. His AHL numbers this year are awful, worse than our own AHL goalies and worse than his AHL teammate by a longshot. So all we've done is spend an extra 2M on a goalie who provides little to no upside.

Goaltending is our problem? MB isn't as smart as I thought he was.

Everyone was willing to give Therrien credit for Price's great play, but no one is making him take responsibility for his team's average goaltending now. As we've said all along, the problem with the team is that they're scoring 1.5 goals per game. But for MB to address this, he would need to admit the team made a mistake dumping Semin and Kassian and he'd need to hold the coach accountable for the lack of goals and miserable PP.

Scrivens will do something that Kassian did not get a chance to do and that is start against Boston on New Years I believe. We need the points against eastern teams. This trade is a wash. Kassian will be lucky if he gets a game this year and Scrivens may be gone once Price returns. If he plays well he may stick for a while.

Archived