The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Who Would You Like To See As Our Head Coach?

kinot-1

Frankly, I can't see MB retaining MT for the rest of his contract. The majority of us would like to see a coaching change.Well, who would you like to see behind the bench?

Here's a short list of possibly available coaches (in no particular order), but there are some others. Maybe there's a dark horse out there or coaching in the minors, Europe, or Japan for all I know.

Larry Robinson

Marc Crawford
Guy Boucher

I've seen Benoit Groulx mentioned by others, from the AHL.

I'll add Travis Green. His name was popping up early in the season for the Ducks. I can't find anything regarding his style or tactics, so hopefully someone else could provide more insight. All I know is he has been successful in lower leagues and is believed to be NHL ready.

Of course we can't discuss coaches without the French language issue. Which shouldn't be a factor.

My main concern is someone who isn't dismissive of advanced statistics and still has the ability to learn, adapt, and improve over the course of his tenure. I'm not overly enamored with the idea of a recycled coach either. Unless it is a proven and effective candidate who has had recent success (if Quenneville suddenly became available for instance). I wouldn't mind someone who has had a little head coach experience and continued to gain experience and may be more prepared the second time around, such as a Muller or Oates.

Despite the fact that i think a coaching change is long overdue, I actually don't think its going to happen until maybe the summer (I mean we just had the worst month in the history of the team and he's still here) so this discussion may be a bit premature.

That said, if i did have my way, assuming that we have to hire someone who is bilingual, my choices would be:

Guy Boucher - the obvious choice. Should turn things around nearly immediately simply by instilling a system and having (hopefully) better player evaluation/deployment. This would be the safe choice & probably would work out ok.

Benoit Groulx - a risky move (no nhl coaching experience) but there are some that argue he's the best coach outside of the NHL right now. I would be worried, bringing him in mid-season though - this could be a very risky proposition.

Larry Robinson - would probably be wonderful here but is his broken french and hero status enough? I dunno. Maybe a combination of big bird + a french assistant would do the trick but i suspect he wouldnt be in the running.

Marc Crawford - a slightly outside of the box choice but one that id be kind of intrigued by. He would definitely let our best players play the most but I am not sure we have enough talent to work for him. He's always been at his best when he can just let his talent go & only reign in the defensive side of the game. Might work.
Kirk Muller - Like Robinson above, he speaks a little french but it aint great. I dont know if it would be enough, despite him being a very popular figure in MTL.
Jacques Martin - I still think he could be an effective coach. With this team he'd probably get a LOT out of them. Wont happen though imho.
Guy Carbonneau - i think he's a better coach than some of us think but not much (if any) of an upgrade on Therrien. In many ways they are extremely similar. Wouldnt mind him as an assistant though.
If we do make a coaching change i would love to have Adam Oates come on as an assistant - if only for the PP. He or Muller could be a huge help there imho.

Guest habs1952

Despite the fact that i think a coaching change is long overdue, I actually don't think its going to happen until maybe the summer (I mean we just had the worst month in the history of the team and he's still here) so this discussion may be a bit premature.

That said, if i did have my way, assuming that we have to hire francophone, my choices would be:

Guy Boucher - the obvious choice. Should turn things around nearly immediately simply by instilling a system and having (hopefully) better player evaluation/deployment. This would be the safe choice & probably would work out ok.

Benoit Groulx - a risky move (no nhl coaching experience) but there are some that argue he's the best coach outside of the NHL right now. I would be worried, bringing him in mid-season though - this could be a very risky proposition.

Larry Robinson - would probably be wonderful here but is his broken french and hero status enough? I dunno. Maybe a combination of big bird + a french assistant would do the trick but i suspect he wouldnt be in the running.

Marc Crawford - a slightly outside of the box choice but one that id be kind of intrigued by. He would definitely let our best players play the most but I am not sure we have enough talent to work for him. He's always been at his best when he can just let his talent go & only reign in the defensive side of the game. Might work.
Kirk Muller - Like Robinson above, he speaks a little french but it aint great. I dont know if it would be enough, despite him being a very popular figure in MTL.
If we do make a coaching change i would love to have Adam Oates come on as an assistant - if only for the PP. He or Muller could be a huge help there imho.

Isn't that basically how it should be? I'd love to see Subban rushing the puck deep into the oppositions end.

Isn't that basically how it should be? I'd love to see Subban rushing the puck deep into the oppositions end.

It is but the knock on Crawford is that if you dont have enough talent and/or the leadership to motivate the less...motived players on the roster, his teams take nights off with some regularity. When he had Forsburg and Sakic leading by example it worked but some of those Vancouver teams started to slip away from him.

I actually may be more intrigued by him than any other candidate: This team has grit and jam coming out of its you-know-what and I dont think that aspect will be in question. Would be interesting to try at least as an interim coach. Dont think it will happen though.

i cant believe i saw guy carbonneau TWICE on this list. TWICE!

if you like what you saw this year from coach T that was what you saw every night with coach C. worst line combos imaginable, zero offense, benching guys who try to do hot dog things like stickhandle...

give your heads a shake you guys. your better than that :P

i cant believe i saw guy carbonneau TWICE on this list. TWICE!

if you like what you saw this year from coach T that was what you saw every night with coach C. worst line combos imaginable, zero offense, benching guys who try to do hot dog things like stickhandle...

give your heads a shake you guys. your better than that :P

haha, only once and a half: I said id only consider him as an assistant ;):P

I've posted about this before several times, but guys like Kevin Dineen, Larry Robinson, John Stevens, Travis Green, Benoit Groulx, Eric Veilleux, and so on have to be on the list. Dineen is probably my first choice at this point. Robinson's pretty close behind. I think we need a guy who has some experience in the NHL because we're a team that could realistically push for a Cup. I think we need to avoid bringing back a re-tread from our own organization though, just because we need to get out of the thought process that we've gone through everyone and need to start at the beginning again. So to me, that means no Carbonneau, no Martin, no Tremblay, etc. I'd prefer to stay away from Crawford and Muller too.

I don't see Therrien getting fired any time soon, given that he survived the best possible time to fire him (the past 48 hours) in the schedule. But if he did go, I think MB will (wrongly) look for a guy who speaks French and I don't see him going for a rookie head coach either, unless it's Lefebvre. I could definitely see him doing something like hiring Guy Boucher or Lefebvre and then hiring someone like Groulx or Veilleux as an assistant.

. But if he did go, I think MB will (wrongly) look for a guy who speaks French and I don't see him going for a rookie head coach either, unless it's Lefebvre. I could definitely see him doing something like hiring Guy Boucher or Lefebvre and then hiring someone like Groulx or Veilleux as an assistant.

:lol::D:D:D:lol:

Without the French language impediment, I would go for Jon Cooper :lol: . He seems to be good moulding young players and he goes for an offensive game play.

But let's get real. Management will only accept a Francophone coach. So the only proven choice is Alain Vigneault :) . I'm waiting for him to get fired by Rangers. Hopefully, Therrien's luck runs out too at the same time. Vigneault deserves a second stint more than Therrien.

Without the French language impediment, I would go for Jon Cooper :lol: . He seems to be good moulding young players and he goes for an offensive game play.

But let's get real. Management will only accept a Francophone coach. So the only proven choice is Alain Vigneault :) . I'm waiting for him to get fired by Rangers. Hopefully, Therrien's luck runs out too at the same time. Vigneault deserves a second stint more than Therrien.

Jon Cooper is already a HC in Tampa, so he's not a realistic possibility. Ditto for Vigneault, who is definitely a better option than Therrien, but neither guy is as good as Julien. If we were going with a re-tread who had to speak French, then Julien is easily the best of the bunch. As I said, it hurts a lot to see how badly Therrien is doing when you know you had guys like Robinson and Babcock who inquired about a job opening here.

I would love to give Larry Robinson his place behind the bench. If not him ..kinot!... Wait.

The question is: how long will MB wait until he does get a new HC? If he has not done it already it probably won't be done this year..sadly. May be they want to lose more fans or something? I will not leave for I have been following the boys for over 56+ years so....of course the last 20 years has been a struggle I admit.

If we were going with a re-tread who had to speak French, then Julien is easily the best of the bunch.

How do you explain his run of losses against the Habs if he were the superior coach ;) ?

And would the current Julien turn any team he coaches, including the Habs, into the goons we've always despised :o ?

How do you explain his run of losses against the Habs if he were the superior coach ;) ?

And would the current Julien turn any team he coaches, including the Habs, into the goons we've always despised :o ?

We just happen to have the Bruins number. I don't know what to say. But he certainly wins against other teams and he's done well this year despite having a not so stacked line-up. He's also done well in the past despite serious key injuries, and he's led his team to a Cup. Therrien can't claim any of those things.

I don't like Julien the person. I think a lot of the things he does are despicable. But if you want to know who the best coach is of he, Therrien, Vigneault, Tremblay, Carbonneau, Martin, etc. I'd go with Julien. I say that despite all the things I don't like about him.

Archived