The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#20 Victor Bartley

Welcome aboard. Its not an ideal situation but maybe one of our scouts pulled another 'diamond in the rough' as they have been prone to do. He will forever be measured against Tinordi, so lets hope so.

He's basically been compared by the Habs themselves to Francis Bouillon. So I'm guessing that's pretty much his upside. I don't have high expectations and I don't really see why we need another guy to play the role we already have Gilbert, Barberio, Pateryn, and to some extent Emelin to fill.. Tinordi offered the chance at a different sort of skillset, hence the upside.

He's basically been compared by the Habs themselves to Francis Bouillon. So I'm guessing that's pretty much his upside. I don't have high expectations and I don't really see why we need another guy to play the role we already have Gilbert, Barberio, Pateryn, and to some extent Emelin to fill.. Tinordi offered the chance at a different sort of skillset, hence the upside.

Fully agree. I really wish, if we absolutely had to make a Tinordi for Bartley deal (not sure why we did) we could have at least gotten a draft pick out of it so that down the road we could say 'well we got Bartley + ______ for tinordi" right now the +______ is looking worse than getting nothing for him tbh.

Im still in shock we couldnt have flipped tinordi for an equally disgruntled forward prospect or something. At least then you'd have a fighting chance at minimizing your losses.

Fully agree. I really wish, if we absolutely had to make a Tinordi for Bartley deal (not sure why we did) we could have at least gotten a draft pick out of it so that down the road we could say 'well we got Bartley + ______ for tinordi" right now the +______ is looking worse than getting nothing for him tbh.

Im still in shock we couldnt have flipped tinordi for an equally disgruntled forward prospect or something. At least then you'd have a fighting chance at minimizing your losses.

With all due respect to John Scott, if you asked 30 GM's who the worst player in the league is with over 50 games played, there would probably be a lot of votes for Scott. Many might not have even known Bartley existed. So yes, nothing as a return (without burning cap hit and roster spots) might just have been better. I guess we'll see what Bartley can bring, and maybe he'll surprise us like a Josh Gorges, but then why not just grab him on waivers if you were really that high on him?

With all due respect to John Scott, if you asked 30 GM's who the worst player in the league is with over 50 games played, there would probably be a lot of votes for Scott. Many might not have even known Bartley existed. So yes, nothing as a return (without burning cap hit and roster spots) might just have been better. I guess we'll see what Bartley can bring, and maybe he'll surprise us like a Josh Gorges, but then why not just grab him on waivers if you were really that high on him?

There is a small advantage to trading versus waivers in that if you trade for a player you're allowed to send him down to the AHL. With that said, though, if we're getting a player where that's a consideration I still don't see why we couldn't have just kept Tinordi.

Marc Bergevin: " I made a trade that at the time I had to make that trade. I have some reasons that I can’t even tell you why, but if I could you probably would understand.”

I still wonder what the heck Bergevin meant & wonder if we will ever know. With all due respect to Bartley - who may or may not be in our future plans - but it almost seems as if the deal to acquire him was as much about getting rid of Tinordi as it was anything else. Scott imho was a throw in, but it seems like we actually were after Bartley (why else make a 3 team swap).

Anyway, best of luck Victor. Will be interesting to see if he gets any playing time. For those worried about him being Boullion or Murray V2.0 - at least he's only 27 not mid 30s so if he has any use as a #7 dman its not like he doesnt have at least some good years of hockey left in him.

Guest habs1952

Marc Bergevin: " I made a trade that at the time I had to make that trade. I have some reasons that I can’t even tell you why, but if I could you probably would understand.”

I still wonder what the heck Bergevin meant & wonder if we will ever know. With all due respect to Bartley - who may or may not be in our future plans - but it almost seems as if the deal to acquire him was as much about getting rid of Tinordi as it was anything else. Scott imho was a throw in, but it seems like we actually were after Bartley (why else make a 3 team swap).

Anyway, best of luck Victor. Will be interesting to see if he gets any playing time. For those worried about him being Boullion or Murray V2.0 - at least he's only 27 not mid 30s so if he has any use as a #7 dman its not like he doesnt have at least some good years of hockey left in him.

Would he not need to be good to have some good years left? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived