The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll of the week: underachievers

BigTed3

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who has, for you, been the biggest disappointment this season?

• Max Pacioretty
    • Tomas Plekanec
    • Andrei Markov
    • Michel Therrien
    • Other (write in your comment below)

For the past two months, the team as a whole has under-performed. We can blame this on the players, we can blame it on coaching, we can blame it on management, or we can blame it on bad luck. Regardless, we want to know which individual has been the biggest disappointment for you so far this season. Tell us what you think and explain why.

good poll.

coach T- exactly what you would expect. playing favourites, horrible line combinations, no idea what to do with skill guys and young players.....its maddening, but not disappointing.

markov- last playoffs was dramatic foreshadowing. hes just old. still a very cerebral player, just cant get it done physically anymore. its sad, but not so much disappointing

pleky-very disappointing. a close second. for a guy who wears an A and was even considered for the C....no on ice leadership. plays soft, and the offense is non existent. maybe in a bit over his head with first line duties, but has been a consistent contributor before. i think hes annoyed with this team, and rather than battle even harder, like subban or gallagher, he has shrunk.

patch- my main scapegoat. this was his year. got the C, our "star" player....total non factor 5 on 5, a detriment on the pp, taking bad penalties all year, no one ice fire, party line answers to the media, just UGH. got my vote. would be happy to see him traded for something significant

Guest habs1952

Pleky: Therrien has him playing a role he isn't suited for.

Markov: Too old for the minutes he plays. Therriens fault.

Therrien: Can't be the biggest disappointment because we knew he was a bad choice for the coaching job in the first place.

Patches(he got my vote): He's not playing the way you would expect your captain to play. Maybe it's because he and Pleky aren't compatible as line mates but regardless, your leader(captain) needs to lead.

I pick other. The whole team has been a big disappointment top to bottom since Price has gone down. I admit one or two shine on occasion in a game or two, and then stink the place out on another night.

Hard to watch.

I voted for the coach <_< . Although Carey Price's absence has also exposed the fact that the current roster isn't as "elite" as many fans thought. But it's still better than what the organization had for the last 5 seasons. Pity it's being wasted though, and the window is closing.

I have to say Galchenyuk, although he is still young. I was hoping he would be able to have a successful year at centre but he struggled with Semin and is still struggling to define himself as a player in this league. He has all the skill in the world but has been unable to find a consistent direction to his play and continues to struggle in his own end. Patches is on pace for a similar season as his others. I don't put the blame on this season with Galchenyuk, but felt he would have had a better showing at centre this year. The good news is he is still very young.

I have to say Galchenyuk, although he is still young. I was hoping he would be able to have a successful year at centre but he struggled with Semin and is still struggling to define himself as a player in this league. He has all the skill in the world but has been unable to find a consistent direction to his play and continues to struggle in his own end. Patches is on pace for a similar season as his others. I don't put the blame on this season with Galchenyuk, but felt he would have had a better showing at centre this year. The good news is he is still very young.

he was doing fine with semin. = lowest ice time of all fwd lines, semin gets waived

doing great with eller and anybody = lowest ice time

doing great with eller and ghetto , most productive line for a stretch in december. ghetto gets demoted, chuck moved to wing with DD and weise

brilliant coaching. im going with the total opposite, i think its amazing hes done what hes done despite the idiotic deployment

I voted other, because I'm going with Marc Bergevin. I expected nothing out of Therrien, so it's hard to be disappointed there. Pacioretty's not been great, but I have a hard time pinning a lot of this on him. Markov's decline is depressing, but as others have said the writing was on the wall. Plekanec confuses me, and I'm not sure what to think.

Bergevin, though, takes the cake in my opinion. I was expecting more from him, and instead he's hitched his wagon to facilitating the (hopefully only season-long) downfall of this once promising team. "Leadership" is a word thrown around a lot in hockey, so much so that it borders on having no meaning. But I think a GM's mood and actions are a tangible expression of organizational leadership. When the front office has a shrug and accept it attitude, why is it a surprise when the players do, too? When the coaching staff is permitted to live in 2002 and pretend the terrible style of hockey they promote is still viable, the players are going to go along with it because hockey players do what they're told. Bergevin has shown himself to be the same kind of traditional, play it safe conformist we've had for a while. This team isn't winning a Cup with leadership like that.

I voted other, because I'm going with Marc Bergevin. I expected nothing out of Therrien, so it's hard to be disappointed there. Pacioretty's not been great, but I have a hard time pinning a lot of this on him. Markov's decline is depressing, but as others have said the writing was on the wall. Plekanec confuses me, and I'm not sure what to think.

Bergevin, though, takes the cake in my opinion. I was expecting more from him, and instead he's hitched his wagon to facilitating the (hopefully only season-long) downfall of this once promising team. "Leadership" is a word thrown around a lot in hockey, so much so that it borders on having no meaning. But I think a GM's mood and actions are a tangible expression of organizational leadership. When the front office has a shrug and accept it attitude, why is it a surprise when the players do, too? When the coaching staff is permitted to live in 2002 and pretend the terrible style of hockey they promote is still viable, the players are going to go along with it because hockey players do what they're told. Bergevin has shown himself to be the same kind of traditional, play it safe conformist we've had for a while. This team isn't winning a Cup with leadership like that.

THIS!!! Houle 2.0 IMHO. The accolades given in the past were nothing more than wishful thinking.

I thought long and hard about voting for Bergevin as well. I also think Pacioretty is a worthy candidate because of how poorly he's played defensively and how little he's done as a captain/ leader. But ultimately, I voted for Tomas Plekanec. Whereas I expected a drop-off in play from Andre Markov to some degree and whereas I expected Therrien to be exposed at some point, Plekanec's performance has come as a surprise to me. He's been the epitome of consistency for the past decade. He's performed and produced despite having some really weak wingers. So to see him have the likes of Pacioretty and Gallagher on his wings and simply fail to produce or play well has been in my view, the biggest disappointment of the year thus far.

Markov declined as expected, Pleks is his usual self season after season, Pacioretty is still scoring, Therrien is still doing Therrien-like things, but Bergevin sitting back and watching the team fold has been the biggest disappointment.

Bergevin for me as well. (Although I do feel Pacioretty has been a disappointment, both as a captain and as a player.)

Plekanec I didn't expect much production from, and he hasn't been bad in other areas.

I've been expecting the inevitable decline from Markov for a few years now.

While Therrien has failed on an epic scale in just about every aspect, I was prepared for that as well.

I was disappointed in Bergevin for not addressing our coaching issues, but I was willing to accept that it is difficult to fire the coach of a team with a good record. The record was the only excuse for not firing the coach. Once that excuse was gone, I expected him to take action. Discovering that Bergevin was not only accepting but actively supportive of how our team is managed, was the biggest disappointment for me in years. Until then I was able to at least hope that our GM was prepared and capable of doing what was necessary to achieve success.

I thought long and hard about voting for Bergevin as well. I also think Pacioretty is a worthy candidate because of how poorly he's played defensively and how little he's done as a captain/ leader. But ultimately, I voted for Tomas Plekanec. Whereas I expected a drop-off in play from Andre Markov to some degree and whereas I expected Therrien to be exposed at some point, Plekanec's performance has come as a surprise to me. He's been the epitome of consistency for the past decade. He's performed and produced despite having some really weak wingers. So to see him have the likes of Pacioretty and Gallagher on his wings and simply fail to produce or play well has been in my view, the biggest disappointment of the year thus far.

Pretty much my feeling if i had to pick just one player. Like you, i had zero expectations for Therrien, i had decreasing expectations for Markov and I actually think Patches is trying to do too much (and may still not be 100% healed). Plekanec really surprises me - especially since he had one of his strongest starts ever. I really thought he had 2 or 3 more good years left - and maybe he does. Maybe this year is just an aberration & we'll get good ol' pleks again next season. Time will tell but for now, he's easily the single most disappointing player on the team if we had to pick just one.

However, I voted other though because for me there are just too many players to be disappointed with. In fact, it would probably be easier for me to list who I havent been disappointed with (Gallagher) and when they have had chances, (Barberio, Pateryn, Carr, and Adrighetto). Even guys who are having pretty so-so seasons (PK, Petry, Mitchell, Eller, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk) have been disappointing (in some cases due to the assignments and ice time they are given but mostly due to their inconsistencies).

This season is a train wreck - and unlike 2011-2012 we dont have a horrible team! We have arguably our best group of defensemen in 20+ years and, you could make an argument that we have a better group of forwards than we've had in about as long too. Yes, we're missing the best Goalie in the world, but we have had far worse teams with equal goaltending to Condon/Scrivens do MUCH better. We arent losing games 7-6. We are losing games where we manage 1 or 2 goals. Price wont solve that.

The most devastating part of the season is that I am a firm believer that had we dumped Therrien & brought in a good system coach in say, late december, we'd probably still be comfortably in playoff contention. Maybe Im wrong, maybe we'd be out of the playoffs with Boucher at the helm too, but what would have been the harm in trying??? Now its basically too late.

I was disappointed in Bergevin for not addressing our coaching issues, but I was willing to accept that it is difficult to fire the coach of a team with a good record. The record was the only excuse for not firing the coach. Once that excuse was gone, I expected him to take action. Discovering that Bergevin was not only accepting but actively supportive of how our team is managed, was the biggest disappointment for me in years. Until then I was able to at least hope that our GM was prepared and capable of doing what was necessary to achieve success.

This, especially bold.

^^ I absolutely believe that our problems could have been easily fixed if we had addressed them in December. Turn back the clocks and imagine if we had done the following:

1. Fired Therrien and his entire staff save Stephane Waite. Hire someone like a Boucher, Dineen, Robinson, or so on. Bring in someone like a Carbonneau or a QMJHL guy or whatever to help specifically with the PP. Fix the line combinations to make something a little more sensible, develop a better system for the break out. These aren't hard jobs for a competent coach with some NHL experience.

2. Trade for a different goalie. Scrivens was a 4th-string goalie on possibly the worst defensive team in the league. It made no sense to trade for a legit goalie for 4 weeks but if the team knew that Carey might be out long-term, then they should have addressed this with a better solution. Even a guy like Budaj or Emery or Leighton or so on might have been a better option at that time.

3. Address the wing situation. You keep Galchenyuk at center. You keep Eller at center. You give your skill players in the minors the chances over the grinders in the NHL. That just makes sense. And meanwhile you work on acquiring more help on the wing, be that Drouin or someone else. Bergevin has said he doesn't want rentals and it's too hard to make a hockey trade, which seems to suggest he's just given up on making the team any better. So use McCarron or Andrighetto or Hudon or Kassian or Semin in that case. But don't cast these players off then complain you have no one.

Guest habs1952

^^ I absolutely believe that our problems could have been easily fixed if we had addressed them in December. Turn back the clocks and imagine if we had done the following:

1. Fired Therrien and his entire staff save Stephane Waite. Hire someone like a Boucher, Dineen, Robinson, or so on. Bring in someone like a Carbonneau or a QMJHL guy or whatever to help specifically with the PP. Fix the line combinations to make something a little more sensible, develop a better system for the break out. These aren't hard jobs for a competent coach with some NHL experience.

2. Trade for a different goalie. Scrivens was a 4th-string goalie on possibly the worst defensive team in the league. It made no sense to trade for a legit goalie for 4 weeks but if the team knew that Carey might be out long-term, then they should have addressed this with a better solution. Even a guy like Budaj or Emery or Leighton or so on might have been a better option at that time.

3. Address the wing situation. You keep Galchenyuk at center. You keep Eller at center. You give your skill players in the minors the chances over the grinders in the NHL. That just makes sense. And meanwhile you work on acquiring more help on the wing, be that Drouin or someone else. Bergevin has said he doesn't want rentals and it's too hard to make a hockey trade, which seems to suggest he's just given up on making the team any better. So use McCarron or Andrighetto or Hudon or Kassian or Semin in that case. But don't cast these players off then complain you have no one.

Yep....I'd rather lose trying to build the team rather than staying stagnant and wasting the prime years of our core.

Archived